Torquay United v Barrow Match Thread Saturday 13 August 2016

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

I didn't think the attendance was disappointing. Comapare the other ex league clubs, we had more than Aldershot, Chester and York. AND by far and away better than some of the other games like double at least for some.

We are one of the best supported clubs in this league, that means we have more coming in at the turnstiles than most. Some of these clubs MUST have serious money being pumped in by someone.

I thought we played ok, not brilliant, and it was a bit gutting to let that goal in, but Im immune to that happening now, being a Torquay fan for XX years.

Sam Chaney, Ben Gerring and Bret Williams looked good at this level.
TUST MEMBER
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

I was glad to see Chaney start - he injected some energy which was reflected in the pace of the first half. It dropped off in the second half, but Chaney also made a couple of sublime passes, one in the penalty box to Reid - unfortunately too subtle for him to do anything with.

ERRIN had a solid game, pity his name was not so solid! I noticed names and numbers on 4 shirts peeling off during the first half. I hope the playing budget will not have to be spent on superglue.
TUST member 200 ;-)
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Frustrating to to drop two points right at the end again. It seems to happen too regularly. However, I thought it was a fair result. We had the better of the first half but we were under pressure for long periods in the second half. Well taken goal by Brett Williams but I wasn't convinced by his overall contribution to the team. Blissett was kept in check by their bean-pole centre half who was even taller than Nathan. Luke Young is not firing on all cylinders yet but he will get better with more match practice. Not too sure about the substitutions, apart from the enforced one of Lathrope on for Richards. I would have liked to have seen Barrow stretched a bit more by bringing on the WBA loanee winger for the last 20 minutes or so. I thought it was an improved performance following the Bromley match so let's hope the improvement will continue match by match.

I believed the pre-season hype that Barrow would be up with the leaders. On yesterday's performance they will be with us - about mid-table. The ref made some strange decisions. We've had him before and I wasn't impressed the last time. The booking of Gerring was a nonsense. It wasn't even a foul - he clearly won the ball cleanly. There was a similar tackle in one of the Match of the Day games and the commentator said 'what a great recovering tackle'. I like the new shirts - shame about the names and numbers falling off ! Sums up the club really. Going fairly well on the pitch - incompetence away from the pitch.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by tomogull »

A word to Wivel - good away point for the Seasiders, also known as Whitby Town, in their first match of the season. Final score 1 - 1 and like Torquay, they were leading at half time. Come on you Gulls and Seasiders !!
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Not only that, Tomogull, like United we were deeply disappointed by a 90th minute equaliser!
It may be of interest to collectors of oddball stats. that Sutton Coldfield Town, our opponents yesterday,because of temporary problems with their pitch, were forced to play 50 miles away at Eastwood Town (near Nottingham). The resulting attendance was.....78!
I was going to watch United next week at North Ferriby, but Whitby are at home to Corby Town ( a VERY long journey) so I will have to give it a miss. I will try to get to the Gateshead game.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Don't you long for the good old days when we had a proper football team and club, and these matchday threads ran to 11 or 12 pages. Oh for the days when there was interest instead of apathy.
PL21gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee MansellBaseball

Post by PL21gull »

I long for some coolness on the ball - too much lumping forward because we have a tall and very willing striker - we must learn to control a game from midfield, but that means someone being the focus - Damon Lathrope is the obvious one as he can read a game and pass well. Just hoofing the ball back to the opposition is not the way to hold out, the fans know it so how can the management not?
Loads of effort though, just needs channelling better as per the first half, that's when we looked dangerous and likely to score. Even Barrow didn't score or make much in the way of chances by their continuous and boring aerial bombardment, but did get an equaliser from playing on the deck.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by tomogull »

brucie wrote:Don't you long for the good old days when we had a proper football team and club, and these matchday threads ran to 11 or 12 pages. Oh for the days when there was interest instead of apathy.
The good old days, Brucie? Computers and Fans Forums were a long way in the future - most of us didn't even have a TV ! We relied on the radio for the 5 'o' clock football results !! Wivel will agree with me. I know what you mean, though. The football we are watching bears no resemblance to Leroy's or Paul Buckle's teams. We have to accept we are where we are. Thanks to Kevin Nicholson, it is better than the rock bottom we hit last season and we just hope the club gradually turns itself around and league football will return to Plainmoor (or Riviera Stadium) one day.

Anyway, we're almost on page 3. It could be worse - on the TFF Forum, there are only FOUR match posts, and one of those is a pre-match post. :whistle:
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

PL21gull wrote:Just hoofing the ball back to the opposition is not the way to hold out, the fans know it so how can the management not?
Here we go, everyone's a bloody expert. I wondered how long it was going to be before people started to slag off Nico again, but it has started quicker than I expected. I don't know if anyone has noticed but we are not f u c king Real Madrid or Man City who can just write out blank cheques for the best talent available. The players who play for us do so because they lack the talent to ply their trade at a higher level. I am sure Nico knows how the game should be played, but you have to cut your coat according to your cloth and maybe route one is this best way for our players at the moment. This isn't the virtual world of FIFA 16, it is the real world of non league football and if that doesn't meet with your approval what the hell are you doing following a non league team?
tufc si
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by tufc si »

Plainmoor78 wrote: Here we go, everyone's a bloody expert. I wondered how long it was going to be before people started to slag off Nico again, but it has started quicker than I expected. I don't know if anyone has noticed but we are not f u c king Real Madrid or Man City who can just write out blank cheques for the best talent available. The players who play for us do so because they lack the talent to ply their trade at a higher level. I am sure Nico knows how the game should be played, but you have to cut your coat according to your cloth and maybe route one is this best way for our players at the moment. This isn't the virtual world of FIFA 16, it is the real world of non league football and if that doesn't meet with your approval what the hell are you doing following a non league team?
He's got a point though 78! Bliss looked knackered the last 20 minutes and although Reid did a lot of running when we came on, the long balls being pumped over there heads were coming straight back inviting a lot of pressure which inevitably led to there goal. We needed some calm heads out there but frankly, I thought we looked a little lost at times, even more so when Richards went off.
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

See below,
Last edited by Lloyder5 on 16 Aug 2016, 08:45, edited 1 time in total.
TUST number 080
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

Teams do not just allow you to play nice football, in fact they are set up to stop you, especially in this league. Our challenge is to create the time and space to do it. Maybe a fully fit Lathrope and Young firing on all cylinders will do it. First half we were almost there, second half less so.
TUST number 080
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

We relied on the pink 'un (the Saturday evening Football Special edition of the Herald). Famous headline: Golden Boy Stubbs hits five!
Bloggy
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Bloggy »

Do 'pink 'un's' still exist? Remember getting one out of curiosity in Birmingham several years ago.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I can remember going to cricket at Paignton CC where my dad played in August and September. The only way you could get the results was to wait by the paper stand by the railway crossing until the herald express van delivered the football buff at 6pm - and there was always a queue. There would be a match report on the back page. Happy days!