Torquay United v Bromley match thread Tuesday 9 August 2016

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Torquay United v Bromley match thread Tuesday 9 August 2016

Post by Gullscorer »

Not seen a match thread yet, so I thought I’d dive in. Tuesday’s opponents at Plainmoor are Bromley, who finished last season 14th in the table on 60 points, compared with the Gulls at 18th position on 51 points.

Last season, Bromley thrashed us 7-3 at Plainmoor on 19 September, our worst and most embarrassing result for many years, though Kevin Nicholson cannot really be blamed for this: he was not appointed manager until 28 September..

However, on 16 April, we gained a measure of revenge when we won 2-0 at Bromley with goals from McDonald and Richards. Of more significance is the fact that this result secured our great escape from relegation.

Bromley, like ourselves and other clubs across the country, signed a number of players during the summer. These include ex-Ebbsfleet defender Joe Howe, ex-Welling forward George Porter, winger David Martin, striker Tobi Sho-Silva, midfielder Connor Dymond, defender Daniel Johnson, and former West Ham and England under-19 midfielder Blair Turgott.

On the first day of the current season, Bromley were beaten 2-0 at home by Tranmere Rovers, and the Gulls, as we know, lost 2-0 away to Macclesfield town.

Teams last time out:

Bromley:
Julian, Howe (Swaine 86’), Anderson, Prestedge (Porter 73’), Holland, Chorley, Martin, Turgott, Porter (Dymond 57’), Cunnington, Sho-Silva. Subs: Johnson, Swaine, Porter, Dymond, Goldberg. Yellow cards: Prestedge, Martin.

Torquay:
Moore, Rowe-Turner, Lathrope (Chaney 57’), Richards, Young, Gerring, Blissett, Sparkes, Verma, Williams (Reed 56’), McGinty. Subs: Chaney, Duke, Scrivens, Reid, Nicholson. Yellow cards: Richards, Williams.

Bromley will be no pushovers. The game is certainly winnable for the Gulls, but they will need to get stuck in rather than backing off opposing attackers as they seemed to do on Saturday. But Kevin Nicholson and the players will have learned from that game, and with our support should get their first points of the season. So let’s all get up there to fortress Plainmoor and make it a great occasion !

The weather forecast for the evening is good. The high heat of Saturday's energy-sapping summer afternoon will have dissipated. However, there will be a referee at the game (k.o. 7:45 pm), who seems determined to remain anonymous..

:scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
Last edited by Gullscorer on 09 Aug 2016, 14:40, edited 1 time in total.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

It's important to get some points on the board - firstly, to try to carry on any momentum from last season, secondly, every point is vital to avoid repeating last season, and finally to help keep gates and cashflow healthy. One bad result has taken the shine off what was a good pre-season, but nothing a win tomorrow wouldn't overturn.

Our home form last season was appalling (until the final run-in), so we could do with a good start. If we want to be safely in mid-table (at least) then home games against similar sides are games we have to win.

Ref details:

Torquay United FC (First Team) v Bromley FC (First Team)
National League - Premier
Referee: Allison, Samuel
Assistant Referee: Parsons, Gary
Assistant Referee: Lucie, Mark
Fourth Official: Russell, Matthew
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Thanks for the referee information, Gulliball. A year or two ago I had a link to referee stats and information but it disappeared from my computer. This referee, Samuel Allison, already seems quite impressive. Last season he refereed two Premier League 2 games !
http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/samuel-a ... aison/2015
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

The dreaded Bromely match last season when Bill & Ben were managing it was no wonder we lost 3-7. :keepie:

I just hope we are set up right tonight and we have a little flare in the team. Chaney deserves a chance.
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

I would probably play Chaney too. We have to try and create chances as this was a big problem on Saturday. If it was me, I would drop Richards to the bench and play Chaney wide right. He showed last season he can be effective there, especially against barrow when he was instrumental in Blissets goal.

Other option would be to play a 4-5-1/4-3-3 with Chaney lathrope and young in midfield and Reid and sparkes wide. Williams is a proper striker and shouldn't be played as a winger.

I fully expect it to be the same team as Saturday, though.
Tarrboy1
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Tarrboy1 »

Yes, we definitely need some width to get behind and get some balls in the box to Bliss & Williams.
DJ Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by DJ Gull »

Lets do our bit and get behind the lads, they will do the rest!
C'mon United!!
To the dotted line, We're on our way
DJ Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by DJ Gull »

Gullscorer wrote:Anybody know if Robba and Gallifuoco will be available ? Their clearances come through yet ?
Argyles new defender Nauris Bulvitis is still waiting on his clearance, he signed on the line 41 days ago. If thats anything to go by, we could have a while to wait.
To the dotted line, We're on our way
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

do you need a subscription to that crappy Gulls Player to listen to the radio commo, or can I find it on Radio Devon's website?
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
EJM
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Bobby Olejnik

Post by EJM »

Do you think we will be playing in the away kit or is there maybe a chance to see the new home kit?
ps the away kit looks disgusting.
EJM
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Bobby Olejnik

Post by EJM »

Robba is fit but Nicho much prefers B.Moore and Gallifuoco has literally just started training but we might see him on the bench if we are lucky.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

happytorq wrote:do you need a subscription to that crappy Gulls Player to listen to the radio commo, or can I find it on Radio Devon's website?
Useful Links sticky on this forum (first thread top of the list): http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36722733
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

EJM wrote:Robba is fit but Nicho much prefers B.Moore and Gallifuoco has literally just started training but we might see him on the bench if we are lucky.
The choice between Moore and Robba is a no brainer.
OllieGull
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by OllieGull »

Torquay's twitter just tweeted that Jamie Robba's international clearance has gone through in time for tonight, just waiting on "other parties" for Gallifuoco.