Torquay United v Bromley match thread Tuesday 9 August 2016

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

MellowYellow wrote:Why are we playing so deep? I understand the concept but you defend deep when you’re playing against a side packed with pace, which Bromley did not have to run into space at the back . If we are to play deep on a 4-4-2 system then our forwards need to be able to retain possession upfront and potentially slow the tempo of the game down and have wide players with pace who can travel quickly, take the ball down the pitch and be comfortable in possession. None of this was happening enough last night so we resorted to long play, not a style I like and not one I am sure Nico is accustomed too, so why is Nico deploying this formation and tactics? .
My thoughts are:
It could have been a lack of confidence and not tactics we had no points and a loss would have been massive even Moore was edgy as we've not seen him drop so many balls but get them at the second attempt.

Or
MacDonald not being there as he is quicker than all the back four, if you noticed we almost got caught in the first half when Gerring pulled at the centre forward on the edge of the box because he was not quick enough to get the first ball. We do look iffy because our recovery rate is slow.
TUFC92
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by TUFC92 »

Went for the first time last night for a few years, and took my daughter for her first game.

Thought Gerring had a fantastic game, Young played well and Chaney changed the game at half time. Have to say that as much as Williams had a few opportunities and did look dangerous, I wonder whether he in either carrying a slight knock or isn't quite fit. Seemed that Nico was shouting for him to close down more and he didn't do it which is why he was taken off for Reid I believe.
Swanny
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Swanny »

My first viewing of the Gulls this season. The first thing to say that was crowd 2,279 (with only 37 away fans) was a marked improvement from last season's disappointing crowds and the atmosphere was decent. The big screen situated in the corner between the away and Pop side showed the action of the entire match live. As there was just one camera angle and no close ups I'm not convinced this added to the match day experience.

Torquay were slow to get going and seemed a bit off the pace and many areas in the team looked suspect. Torquay had a huge let off when McGinty outside the box in a central area was favourite to win the ball but was slow to respond. McGinty was robbed and then tugged onto their player just outside the penalty area. McGinty was shown only a yellow when many refs would have given red and Bromley shot the free-kick wide. That was not the only time Torquay had the jitters. Our fullbacks, Rowe-Turner and Verma were beaten too easily and keeper Moore confirmed his right is just for standing on by clearing a right foot back pass along the ground right to a Bromley player. We just survived that one. Moore, unlike last season, also spilled a couple of diving saves.

But the good news is that this squad is far stronger than what we had this time last season and we should not be embroiled in another relegation scrap. If we can pick up a class central defender we have a very strong spine to the team. In Moore, Young and Blissett we have quality through the team. Blissett has a lot more pace than I realized and is a real danger with the ball at his feet and winning many headers. Gerring might be a bit slow at times but he defends well being at the right place at the right time with several important clearances and now we know he can finish set pieces. Gerring also had our clearest chance before the goal but headed wide but at least he was in a dangerous position.

Williams for me provided the highlights of the match by belting a shot from about 25 yards out that crashed against the crossbar and sadly bounced on the top of the net and an impressive run beating a few players. He was substituted shortly afterwards, I think he was hobbling a bit? Sparks got involved in our best passing moves and likewise Chaney replacing the injured Lathrope at half-time.

Torquay deserved their first win of the season. Hopefully the team will gel more as the season goes on and players like McGinty, Rowe-Turner, Verma will improve with confidence. The squad is thin and we currently didn’t even have a spare central defender on the bench. If we get one or two key injuries then we could start to struggle. But the spirit looks good and when we click we play some good stuff. We might have weaknesses but we are far better placed than we were this time last season.