Macclesfield Town v Torquay United 6th August

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

chestertorkyman wrote:I reckon that part of the blame lies with wearing a horrible Newcastle kit. Not even yellow collar, cuffs and socks. Did not look like a Torquay team. Oh, and for gods sake shut that drummer up. His drum may suit a full Wembley but was far too big and loud for Moss Rose and It spoils the game for a lot of supporters
It didn't spoil the game, it's called MATCH DAY ATMOSPHERE and Danny boy ticks all the boxes. I heard no complaints. Maybe go and watch Torquay bowling club in future
Lucy
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

chestertorkyman wrote:I reckon that part of the blame lies with wearing a horrible Newcastle kit. Not even yellow collar, cuffs and socks. Did not look like a Torquay team. Oh, and for gods sake shut that drummer up. His drum may suit a full Wembley but was far too big and loud for Moss Rose and It spoils the game for a lot of supporters
Danny bringing the drum along is a phenomenon known as 'making an effort' in an attempt to support the team.

Your attempt was to turn up to Moss Rose and support in YOUR own way. Maybe Danny lad should come on and have a pop at you then? Would that be fair?
chestertorkyman
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by chestertorkyman »

Dont make this about me being unfair -ha ha. And if Lucy "heard no complaints", I heard many; half a dozen supporters moved, and many others could not because our area was pretty full so just grumbled. Yep, cheer, clap, sing, but a constant loud drum banging is not atmospheric. No comments on my game review anyone? sorry, forgot, drumming is far more important for some than the match in front of them.!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Can't personally see why anyone would want to spend ninety minutes banging a fecking drum. I mean why not go and join the salvation army band?

No wonder people moved away.

As for todays result - well we beat Macclesfield about ten times on the trot last season and they are a team that is as financially challenged as we are.

Unfortunately todays result and performance (or lack of it) confirmed what the wiser of supporters knew already.

Butler, McD, Smith, Berry, Rees, Raachi, Ajala, Allen and Harrad - there are nine reasons why we lost today. The team just isn't a patch on the one that ended last season (in fact that team would have challenged for the play offs)

This isn't Nicholsons fault but look at our bench today - we are back to the start of last season all over again.

Our defence is shocking - Rowe-Turner, Paddy Mcginty and Ben Gerring (two non league hoikers in central defence)

And now we have got Gianfranco Ginnyfucker - another non entity.

We cannot get international clearance for our reserve keeper who we signed three months ago.

The writing is firmly on the wall already.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Welcome back Brucie? Was you there today
Lucy
Orange Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Orange Gull »

Well I was really looking forward to today, the comments from pre-season had been encouraging and with the way we ended last season I thought we'd really kick on. Oh how wrong I was, this was diabolical. I'm trying to decide if it was worse than the last game I attended, against Wrexham last August, at least we scored in that game.

The first 10 minutes were about even I'd say but Macclesfield quickly began to dominate. Their goal was deserved but what a goal it was, whoever it was will be lucky to score another goal like that this season. From that moment on, apart from a 10 minute spell early in the second half where we had our best spell of possession, Macclesfield dominated.

I had concerns over the defence before the game but today it became abundantly clear just how much we missed MacDonald, Smith and Butler. Rowe-Turner was very poor I thought, very rarely did he support Sparkes by overlapping or even offering him any options. Far too often Sparkes was simply left to hold the ball until someone else arrived to help, though this failed o materialise on far too many occasions. Our two central defenders also inexplicably lost far too many headers, puzzling considering their height and bulk. Gerring in particular was skinned far too often by his man, sometimes the Macclesfield striker made it look effortless.

The midfield were anonymous today. I didn't think Richards acted like a captain, he was very quiet in terms of geeing up the players, giving instructions and his actual play. One thing that I found totally uncalled for was when Richards took a free kick in the first half, it was pretty bad to be fair and went straight into the wall. This was met with a shout of "You're bang average!" from one of our supporters. He was rightly scolded by another fan who reminded him the players should be encouraged rather than berated.

Strikers might as well have not been there, Williams had one weak shot at our end and was subbed off in the second half, he did nothing at all. Blissett had very little service apart from either long balls over the top which he failed to win, or passes along the floor which he was quickly crowded out from multiple defenders as he had no one to pass to.

All in all, this was rubbish. Macclesfield were not amazing by any means but they didn't need to be, we also looked seriously unfit especially after the second goal when Macclesfield took to just stroking thr ball casually around. Make no mistake, they should have had at least 4 today. I could not believe it when Nicholson said after the game that perhaps it was the best thing that could have happened. Sorry but I beg to differ, getting an encouraging performance and three points would have been the best thing possible. I'm glad I only had 40 minutes journey, must be a waste to come all that way from Torquay for such dross.

Sorry I can't be more positive but it really was bad football. Nice view of the hills from our stand though.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Same old Torquay United fans, never happy. Moan that I take my drum along (which is a real pain in the arse to carry) to try and create an atmosphere. If you don't like the drum, don't sit/stand near it. It wasn't my problem that Macclesfield didn't open the terrace for away fans. Ironically, these are the same people who will moan when there is no atmosphere whatsoever.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Orange Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Orange Gull »

I called Macclesfield earlier in the week to ask if the terrace would be open, I was slightly surprised when the very polite woman said it would be seated only. We've taken far less to the Moss Rose in previous years and the terrace has been open. I don't have a problem with the drum, though we were sitting right at the front, not that there were that many rows however. Better to have it than not have I think.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

As usual Brucie on suicide watch....Oh FFsake pathetic comments as ever. Bellend

Well done Danny for trying !!

Jeez one game out of 46..!!

Argyle 0 Luton 3 ......how many janners are on suicide watch tonight Get feckin real !!!!
IanGull01
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tim Sills

Post by IanGull01 »

lucy6lucy wrote: It didn't spoil the game, it's called MATCH DAY ATMOSPHERE and Danny boy ticks all the boxes. I heard no complaints. Maybe go and watch Torquay bowling club in future
It's not as boring as you think. You should come and watch it sometime
Across the Bey
New Signing
New Signing

Post by Across the Bey »

It was what a Torquay team looked like for atleast half a century. Oh yeah we were also nicknamed the Magpies....

The away kit looks class.

Great effort on the drum again Danny it's always appreciated and certainly does create an atmosphere at some of the dire grounds we find ourselves in! I love it.

Not overly concerned, just yet. We were well off the pace today which did suprise me a little as much emphasis was focused on the new fitness regime during pre-season. Defensive frailties exposed which we knew was going to happen.

We were lacking cohesion in midfield and linkup play was poor. These are things that can be improved and worked on, however, we need a more gutsy performance than that if we are going to have a less stressful season than last. I think I'm going to give it the infamous 'let's see where we are after 10 games' benchmark.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Bottom.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

brucie wrote:
Butler, McD, Smith, Berry, Rees, Raachi, Ajala, Allen and Harrad - there are nine reasons why we lost today. The team just isn't a patch on the one that ended last season (in fact that team would have challenged for the play offs)
Brucie got it spot on.

:engflag:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Hooray! brucie's back! Welcome back, brucie.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

It's foolish to even try and judge how the season is going to pan out off, our pre-season campaign. It's also pretty fool hardy to judge your onw team, off one game as well, it's true, you can not judge your team, other teams and how the league is going to pan out until at least 12 games have been played.

I'm sort of glad in way that we've seen a bad result and performance like that, I don't know whether it was down to wind up's or just pure delusion, but some of the posts I've seen around the net about Torquay United's chances this season were way off the mark, I've always thought this team will win as many as it loses, and think mid table is realistic, but we must remember that there are good teams in this league, many other clubs have more spending power than we do, and lets try giving the correct respect to our opponents.

Some around the net seemed to think Macclesfield was going to be a cake walk, they've improved their squad no end over the summer, as have many others in this league.

I listened to most of the game yesterday on the radio, the disappointing thing for me was just how flat our performance sounded, it seemed as if, either the team didn't have another gear, or on the day they couldn't find it, and maybe, just maybe that was symptom of the W.B.A pre-season friendly.

Ok, so now we have two home games to look forward to, two good performances and results, Macclesfield will soon be forgotten, a continuation of yesterdays poor performance then some alarm bells can start to sound.
Formerly known as forevertufc