Torquay vs Macclesfield Match Thread

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

What I want to know is - "Where were you when we were good"?

;-)

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Plymouthgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Branston

Post by Plymouthgull »

In so many ways the club has gone forward since the Roberts era. This is also true on the pitch (by and large) but can anyone reaaly tell me that Gritton is better than Sills? The tactics were poor today and many of the players were below par e.g. Bevs, Wroe and Robertson in particular. However, Gritton offers us nothing - get rid and give Sills a ring!!!
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Plymouthgull wrote:but can anyone reaaly tell me that Gritton is better than Sills?
No!

What I said to my mate while walking out today.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

the moaners are back! :)

what fickle fans we are!

win a few games at the beginning and some (idiot) posters talk of promotion.......................

play crap and everyones moaning!

yes we have been rubbish recently - but what do posters expect?

this is Torquay United after all.

did we think we would beat port vale and lincoln away?

and be comfortable v northampton and bradford (all they are crap) at home?

perhaps certain posters on here will realise that we are going to be a league 2 team for a while - and in my opinion, thats not such a bad thing.

forgot to say - and i dont like saying it cos i admire what he did for us - we'd be no better of with sillsy than we would with gritts.

you should never go back.............
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

yellowmonkey
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Watches from: Pop side

Post by yellowmonkey »

Stood there today and watched a total abortion, Mansell and Nicky Wroe were absolute dire and the Ref well hope Macclefield paid him enough. 3 handballs and not one given then our manager subs all the decent players on the pitch, apart from Macklin coming which was the only bonus the other two were well Mr Buckle must have been at the Abb Fest last night and still hungover.
Mansell gave away our first goal and our so called strikers still couldnt hit a barn door with a banjo, oh well hopefully all the stops will be pulled out for Aldershot game and Mr Buckle will use a formation that we can actually win with. Time for more beer to drown me sorrows.
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

The worst performance in ages! I thought accrignton game was it but NO!

Just tried to make these triangle passing moves that rarely worked. 2nd half was back to the BSP nico punt and then it would go straight to their TALL defence. O'kane was MoM and that was only because they had to choose someone!

Terrible tactics as well today- Carlisle at RB? What's that about. Senda had a shaky game and has a Camara run about him;-) his fault for the first goal- which was well put away. 2nd and 3rd goals were when we were on the attack.

We missed Ellis and branston was terrible. Gritton offers nothing and I would of liked to see kee given a start.

Could of had two penalties and perhaps a yellow card for their GK for clearly handling outside the box!

On a good point- it's got to be a better game on Tuesday!
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Yesterday's match hasn't got any better for sleeping on it overnight!

The first half was acceptable - some of the football was quality, especially the build up for Benyon's goal. But why did we switch from 442 to 4411? At home!

And what happened in the second half? Where was Wroe? Why did we sub our most inventive player (O'Kane)? Why play a winger at RB? Why start playing hoof ball to a useless Gritton when marked by a huge defence? Why, when we moved to 433 did Macklin not leave his wing to fill the huge holes left in a totally unbalanced midfield?

This match has shown that we are not a potential play-off side. We have few alternatives up front, we have one of the smallest (ie shortest) teams in the division and when plan A doesn't work, we don't have a plan B.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
eastyorksgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: BRANSTON

Post by eastyorksgull »

for fxxk sake just reading some of your comments what a whinging lot gulls fans are you wre saying fxxk all when we wernt conceding and winning ok yeah it hasnt been the best month granted but for fxxk sake we are in the top 10 would rather be there than at the bottom still 38 games left so stop your whining we all get fustrated thats part and parcel of bein a gulls fan ha ha so come on guys and gals get behind the boys we will have a great season am sure bout that
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

:cry: :|
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

First home match of the season for me, disappointed but realistically as soon as Senda gave that ball away leading to the first goal he seemed out of the game to me. As others have said we're not a promotion team, we're middle of the road - You win some, you lose some.

Senda - pushed up front too much, no pace didn't listen to the Pickler.
Macklin - not a threat
O'kane - didn't follow through enough on his passes but effort was there
Wroe - uninspiring.

finally,

Guy Branston - why isn't he captain yet?!
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

It was disappointing yesterday, particularly the way it petered out in the second-half. Seems that Buckle has tried to bring O'Kane into the side based on the positive reviews he has had, many of which have been posted on this site. In fact in the first half O'Kane tried to be the creative spark for the team. Unfortunately, most of it didn t come off, other days it might. He is the sort of player that has to take risks. I thought Senda did ok, he is able to pick out a good forward run with his passing, but in keeping with the previous post he faded.

The point I would make is that with the prior knowledge we had about Macc we didn t need to take those risks to beat them. It should have been accomplished by our usual set up. I don t want to be disrespectful and they deserved the win. If Zebroski had scored instead of hitting the post, as should have, I am sure it would have been a different story with the confidence draining from them, rather then Macc gaining confidence as the game wore on.

Meeting some of the players at the TUST event after, they were disappointed and had received a bit of a rollicking; all had to attend the post-match meal or be fined. They felt they had a good enough squad to be disappointed if they were not challenging for the play-offs. They were also confident that they would up for Tuesday s game.
TUST number 080
beermonster
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by beermonster »

Can I just say that you looked very good in the first half and had you scored early no doubt would have won.

Second half you seemed to dsapear and allowed us to slow the game down and play the counter attack game, which paid off.
eastyorksgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: BRANSTON

Post by eastyorksgull »

a massive apology to you all for the offensive language in an earlier post sent today always a gull and proud to be a gull sorry again
beermonster
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by beermonster »

In the first half you looked quality.

Although I appreciate that losing at home to us is disapointing I think that comments of embarressing and atrocious is a little extreme. Clubs like us regularly beat each other there is no superioty to warrent that kind of reaction. As is with the likes of Barnet, Morecambe etc...

My opinion on Gritton is such...For a start he was not on the pitch long enough yesterday to make much difference, he isnt a first x1 player but very useful to have in the squad.

Ive no idea why the reaction is such, you have a good team who play very good football... you will do very well.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

beermonster wrote:In the first half you looked quality.

Although I appreciate that losing at home to us is disapointing I think that comments of embarressing and atrocious is a little extreme. Clubs like us regularly beat each other there is no superioty to warrent that kind of reaction. As is with the likes of Barnet, Morecambe etc...

My opinion on Gritton is such...For a start he was not on the pitch long enough yesterday to make much difference, he isnt a first x1 player but very useful to have in the squad.

Ive no idea why the reaction is such, you have a good team who play very good football... you will do very well.
Cheers mate, and you're right - we're not so special that we should feel 'embarassed' to lose to a team such as yourselves. But we were justified in feeling confident ahead of the game, and equally justified in feeling disappointed with the result. We did show flashes of nice football, but there just isn't enough end product. The annoyance comes from the fact that we started the season playing one way, won 4 games and everything was rosey. We've since, unecessarily changed the way we're playing, and have drawn 2 and lost 2. In the second half yesterday we looked clueless, and knowing the talent we have in our first 11, that's frustrating. We're making things difficult for oursleves at times, and it's frustrating to watch. Well done to your boys on taking the chances presented to you.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."