Torquay vs Macclesfield Match Thread

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
beermonster
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by beermonster »

We still have alot of work to do before we can be contended, plus sorting out of retched home form. But we have now played 5 of the top 7 so we hope we can pick up results.

You were right to be confident to beat us, I was convinced you would win but went down for the crack anyway...the harbourside on friday night was fun. Funny how things turn out.

But you lot should be very confident, your football in the first half was sublime, yea you lost your way in he second but this is League Two not the emirates, I had a pre-season feeling about Torquay and having already seen Vale, Chesterfield, Shrewsbury you were the ones who played like a top 7 side, not resorting to sit back hoofball lik the others.
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

I'm disappointed with the criticism of Gritton. He's started THREE games. Two of those were against Accrington and Stevenage where he was isolated on his own in a 4-5-1. How do you expect to get the best out of Gritton when he's the only striker in the side?

Gritts wasn't brought to the club to score 20+ goals. He was signed as a targetman. Do the ugly work, hold the ball up, win the flick-ons and bring the best out of his strike partner - impossible to do when Gritts is going solo.

To get the best out of Gritts and Benyon, you need to play them together. I think it's a partnership that could be successful. After all, they've started once together this season. The result? A comfortable 3-0 home win over Northampton.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

The thing that has frustrated me with Gritts has been his lack of control, more so than anything else.

I know where you're coming from, saying that his job is much harder when it's just him up there, but so far this season he has rarely won much in the air, and when it's come into his feet, his control has been poor, allowing defenders to break.

Now I don't remember Gritts being a player with an incredible first touch, but it just seems to me that he's struggling to do the 'ugly' work as you say.

Still, early days as he has had 3 starts. I just hope he goes on a run of 11 goals in 12 games like he did last time!
beermonster
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by beermonster »

Gritton is the type who needs games before the form appears, then he is capable of going on a scoring spree. No striker performs when given the odd 15 minutes every now and again.
chippygull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by chippygull »

It was sh|t on toast.. Let's move on..
Fate: A police dog called Bryn bit Torquay player Jim McNichol and the time while he was receiving treatment was added onto the end of the second half.
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

Does anybody else agree with me that Emile Sinclair looked a very useful front man on Saturday? Tall, quick, strong and provided a composed finish for his goal... just what we need?
"Also, stands aren't sentient."
beermonster
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by beermonster »

Sinclair is awesome when he (1) Gets played up front and not out wide (2) Is playing away and his own fans are not spending 90 minutes shouting abuse at him.

On his day is one of the best around but is a massive confidence player, and spends alot of the season low of it.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Yep on toast is what it was, couple of excuses though. The ref, why was that first goal cancelled out? I was nearer than the ref and saw nothing, whatched it over and over, still nothing. Did anyone notice how far he had to run to give the foul. If anyone can enlighten me I would appreciate it.

They seem to have players that were ready to hit the ball and quick (something we've lacked for a long time) esp their first. Like others have said we did play some tidy stuff at times but too often it fell apart with simple errors. Subs? will never work that one out esp from a manager thats been reluctant with subs in the past.
TUST MEMBER No. 166

JOHNSON HAD A DREAM
TO BUILD FOOTBALL TEAM
HE HAD NO JOB SO HE CAME TO THE GULLS
WITH CAMERON AT THE BACK
AND REIDY IN ATTACK
WE'RE TORQUAY UNITED
WE'RE ON OUR WAY BACK !!