Cheltenham Town v Torquay United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Cheltenham Town v Torquay United

Post by ferrarilover »

Whaddon Road
Tuesday 22nd February 2011
KO: 19:45

After taking ten from the last twelve available points, TUFC look to continue their good run away to our near neighbours Cheltenham Town FC. The Robins are perched just three points and three places below us in 12th place. I said in the Southend thread that I believed we would take seven points from nine and that the two would be dropped at home last Saturday and I saw nothing in that match which changes my mind. Cheltenham struggled with us at the bottom end last season and have done very well to find themselves with a shot at the playoffs this year. A bumper away following is the order of the day after a deeply impressive 2800+ home support on Saturday. It seems odd given their improvement over last season, but there is a great deal of negativity on their board. Some are predicting the lowest ever attendance on Tuesday night and one poster is sure CZ will run rings round their left back (can I please be the one to tell them about Jake Robinson and what he is likely to do to the right back). Board can be found here >>>
http://www.robinsnestforum.co.uk/

LAST 5 SEASONS.

2005/06 - League 2 - 5th place - 72 points - PROMOTED VIA PLAYOFFS
2006/07 - League 1 - 17th place - 54 points
2007/08 - League 1 - 19th place - 51 points
2008/09 - League 1 - 23rd place - 39 points
2009/10 - League 2 - 22nd place - 48 points

5 years ago, the Robins had a very successful season, which saw them finish in 5th place. They overcame Wycombe in the two-legged semi finals, before beating 4th placed Grimsby at the Millenium Stadium. They never really consolidated in League One, in three seasons their highest finish was 17th. In 2009, their tenure ended, as they finished second bottom, only above Hereford, which consigned them back to life in League 2. They almost suffered a double relegation, surviving by 4 points, as Grimsby suffered the toughness of relegation.

HEAD TO HEAD.

Torquay wins - 6 (all comps)
Cheltenham wins - 5
Draws - 3

We have a positive record against Cheltenham. The two sides first met in 1999/2000, with Cheltenham having a decent record against us, up until 2003/04. We did the double over them under Leroy, including the 3-1 victory at Whaddon Road which I remember so well! I also remember a 1-0 victory at their place, with Alan Connell scoring the only goal of the game. Last season we met 4 times, with us knocking them out of both the Johnstones Paint Trophy and the FA Cup, both were 3-1 victories. We also won 3-0 in the league at Plainmoor and drew 1-1 at Whaddon Road, with Carayol scoring a late equaliser.

Form (last 6 games)

Home – W L L L L D

Collated – L D L D L D

Wow, aside from a 4-0 thrashing of Bradford City (who have the worst away form of any team in the division), you have to go back to the 1-0 defeat of Northampton Town (or AC Northampton, as they seem to believe they are entitled to be called) on October 9th last year to find a home win for the Robins. Again, aside from Bradford, they haven t scored more than a single goal in any home match since they beat Burton Albion 2-1 on August 28th last year, their second home game of the season. By the same token, they have conceded more than two goals at home in any one match only once this season, that was on February 12th when resurgent Hereford were the visitors and ran out comfortable 3-0 winners. In short, if you like seeing goals, Whaddon Road is NOT the ground to visit. Expect this match to be tight and decided by a single goal either way.
They conceded a stoppage time equaliser to Barnet on Saturday, having gone ahead through top scorer Wes Thomas.

Probable line up

This is the team which started against Barnet on Saturday.

• 01 Brown
• 02 Lowe
• 03 Andrew
• 06 Riley
• 22 Elliott
• 04 Bird
• 11 Smikle
• 14 Melligan
• 24 Pack
• 09 Thomas
• 23 Green

The players to watch are Wes Thomas, a 5 11” striker who worked his way through the non league before arriving at Dagenham and Redbridge (scant reward really). He has netted a hugely formidable 15 goals from just 25 appearences this season, so he is the one who will need to be kept quiet. Aside from him, Marlon Pack is a midfielder on loan from Portsmouth, but he s 19 and on a season long jobbie, so likely to be released at the end of the season. We are all familiar with the strengths of Matt Green, namely, running about not doing a great deal and not looking particularly interested. Quite good against bigger teams in FA Cup games though.

Ref watch

A Bates – Referee
M S Perry and G S Stretton – Flagmen
P J Hobday – The geezer with the subs board

Misc.

A new section, probably only staying for this match, because I have one or two little slivers of information which do not sit comfortably anywhere else.
Firstly, the pitch at WR is, apparently, crap. Their manager said as much in his radio interview after the Barnet match, which can be found here >>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 394821.stm

I worry that this may turn the match spectacle into something not so spectacular and the result into a bit of a coin toss.
The cost: it s £20 for normal people to get in, which is FAR too steep for division 4 football. However, concessions are £14 and you have to buy your ticket from the office, then hand it in on the turnstile. Now, far be it from me to suggest defrauding Scrooge Town FC, but I will say that the guys who man the turnstiles at all ticket matches are not usually the most attentive... :whistle:

As for my prediction, I will stick with a win and have 2-1 to TUFC with 612 hardy souls making the trip.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

Good report Matt

I think this is my 5th visit to Whaddon Road now, and I don't think I have ever seen Torquay lose here?

I know we have a couple of games in hand over them and close on points, but I think this is going to be a fairly easy win for us. I had Southend down as a close win to us, and this one down as a draw, but looking at Cheltenham's home form, I am starting to believe we have a good chance here.

I am going for 3-1 to Torquay only because 3-1 seems to suit us here :)
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Got a funny feeling Matt Green will be very up for this!

Would like to say a win but have a bad feeling after Saturday we might slip up here.

3 - 1 Cheltenham for me but hope I am wrong!
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

i think our current good run and confident free flowing attacking style will stand us in good stead tomorrow and i'm backed a 0-2 gulls win, kee and jake to score, just under 500 gulls
still keeping the faith
gulls_aloud
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Mark Ellis

Post by gulls_aloud »

Agree with Bixie, it's going to be 0-2, but with Billy Kee scoring both - the conditions should suit his style of shooting from afar and it's time he stepped up and started giving us 2 goals a game =D (incidentally, his twitter profile says "I love Torquay wahhhhhh" so we need to get him to sign on the dotted line for a couple of years NOW). Excited about this one.
Benno
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Martin Rice

Post by Benno »

Going with a group of mates, should be a right laugh! 2-1 gulls!
gulls_aloud
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by gulls_aloud »

Pricing for tomorrow is on OS now, Under 17s are free, so big singing crowd???

http://www.torquayunited.com/page/Ticke ... 12,00.html
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Billy Kee has a twisted ankle and if he misses out it will be a big loss as he is on a great run at the moment. Lets hope he can shake it off before Tuesday night.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
numpte
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Me

Post by numpte »

0-2 to the gulls and I can only hope its better than the poor effort offered up this time last year.

Looking forward to another trip to Whaddon Road.
TUST #324
gulls_aloud
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by gulls_aloud »

Richinns wrote:Billy Kee has a twisted ankle and if he misses out it will be a big loss as he is on a great run at the moment. Lets hope he can shake it off before Tuesday night.
Hope he makes it. If not, it could be musical chairs with Zebs up front, and maybe a chance for Mark Ellis to get back in. Good job we've got a few options now.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Not quite sure how Ellis would fit in.

If that was the case then either Zebs or Robinson would go down the middle and Gilligan would come in i'd have thought.

Be interesting to see what the team is tomorrow

Think i'd go

Potter

Mansell
Branston
Robertson
Nicholson

O Kane
Stanley
Oastler

Robinson
Zebroski

Kee

I'd probabyl go the same as we've been before, although tempted tog et Gilligan in there somewhere, maybe for O Kane he might need a rest.
eastyorksgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: BRANSTON

Post by eastyorksgull »

hi guys,as per usual confident bout this one,3 points in the bag,just feel we are going to go on one of our long unbeaten runs again, not meant to sound to cocky,gut i believe the confidence is there again,ok wont be easy,but sure we will come away with the points......simon : :scarf: :clap: :scarf: :clap:
YellowMurphy
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Brian Saah

Post by YellowMurphy »

Given Cheltenhams form this should be an easy game. Id expect it to be nothing like that! If Kee is okay to play, then keep the same lineup that played Southend, however if hes injured id like to see 4-4-2, with LRT starting, dont see why we brought him off on saturday. He seems more than up to it.

Potter

LRT
Branston
Robbo
Mansell

Stevens
Stanley
Oastler
Gilligan

Zebroski
Robinson

I think O'Kane needs a drop personally, hes done okay recently, maybe he just needs a rest though. Been really impressed with Potter recently, his kicking is special. I think it will be a really good game, gutted I cant go, lots of goals. I will go for Cheltenham 2-3 Torquay with Stevens, and Zebroski x2 for us!
oxgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Class of 69

Post by oxgull »

B*****r can't get up there as I am stuck in Oxford all night! Just my luck to have a clash of dates :aww: Still, we should nick this one 0 - 1 :goal:
Oblivion!!!!
JamieE
First Regular
First Regular

Post by JamieE »

I reckon we'll see two changes: Nico in for LRT and Gilligan in for O'Kane. Bucks has set the precedent, resting Bevs and Ellis and it is probably Eunan's turn for a couple of games on the bench. 0-2 win - Kee and Zebs.