Guiseley v Torquay

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Guiseley v Torquay

Post by Dave »

This Saturday the team travel to Nethermoor Park for the final game of the season to take on Guiseley . How quickly can the picture change, just a couple of months ago us Torquay fans couldn't wait for the season to end and take our punishment, now think it's fair to say most of us would love a few more weeks now as we're sat 2nd in the current form table for the entire division.

Coming back from 12 points plus goal difference behind safety back in February, to confirm our survival with 2 games to go is an achievement no one can take away from our club, however when the final curtain is drawn this Saturday and the season reviewed, in reality what our club really achieved this season was nothing more than a relegation near miss in the non-league top flight, in reality we've achieved nothing more than mediocrity, and should not get used to celebrating surviving against relegation at this level.

As Kevin Nicholson said Saturday in his speech " This must never be allowed to happen again "

Our hosts Guiseley go into this match occupying the last relegation spot and needing to win the match, however a draw could save our hosts if results go their way elsewhere, Guiseley are coming to the end of their very first ever season in the non-league top flight and would have hoped to consolidate at this level, mid December it looked like our hosts could survive at this level going into the all important Christmas fixtures with an 8 gap between them and the bottom four.

Maybe down to finance, or maybe they thought they had the capability within their squad to get the points required I don't know, but it does appear as a club they didn't do enough to strengthen mid season, and Saturday they dropped into the relegation zone for the first time this season.

I can't move on with out talking about Braintree-gate. I'm not going to put the "cheat" tag on Guiseley, but we all remember what happened in this game, when Braintree put the ball out to allow treatment for an injured Guiseley player , the Guiseley player clearly meant to pass the ball back to the keeper, but non-league gold, over hit the pass and scored, the right thing to do regardless was to let Braintree score and restore their 1 goal lead, but Guiseley refused and gained an ill gotten point.

I do not doubt Guiseley are a decent club with decent supporters, but when you don't conduct your business in the right manner, you may gain a short term advantage , but karma will swing back around and bite you in the arse eventually, should Guiseley be relegated Saturday, this will be just one of those cases.

For Gulls fans attending the match

http://www.footballgroundguide.com/leag ... -park.html

Guiseley top goalscorers

Adam Boyes 6
Robert Atkinson 5
Anthony Dudley 5
Nicky Boshell 4
James Hurst 3
Oliver Norburn 3
Danny Boshell 2
Tom Craddock 2
Will Hatfield 2
Emile Sinclair 2
Oli Johnson 1
Jake Lawlor 1
Gavin Rothery 1
Adam Smith 1

Current form

Guiseley; D-D-L-W-L-L

Guiseley 3 - 3 Chester
Eastleigh 1 - 1 Guiseley
Guiseley 0 - 2 Cheltenham Town
Guiseley 3 - 1 Wrexham
Macclesfield Town 1 - 0 Guiseley
Boreham Wood 1 - 0 Guiseley

Last time out

Boreham Wood 1 v 0 Guiseley

1 Drench
2 Toulson (Norburn 74'minutes)
25 Atkinson
6 Lawlor
4 Lowe
3 Parker
14 Hatfield
34 Dudley (Craddock 78'minutes)
11 Rothery
18 Johnson (Boshell 81'minutes)
9 Boyes

Substitutes
5 Lockwood
10 Craddock
17 Atkinson
19 Boshell
35 Norburn

Lions must beat Torquay and then pray for survival

“I’m disappointed on so many different levels but I’ve been saying for the last few weeks that we can’t rely on other results and that we had to win games.

“In that second half, we had so many chances to come back and not just draw but win it.

"We could have been three or four nil up but again we’ve had an absolutely scandalous refereeing decision on the penalty.

“Everybody in the ground has seen their lad handball it and how he cannot give that is beyond me.

“But again we should have scored goals, and if you don’t take your chances you find yourself in a situation like we are.

"We are in the bottom four and we’ve not been there all season so it’s a hard one to take.

“The only thing we can do is go and win next Saturday and hope things go our way elsewhere.

“I thought it was a scrappy start and we showed a few nerves and took time to settle, whereas they were at home so were more on the front foot.

"We had a few words at half-time and came out much better. We could have been 2-1 up within a few minutes of the second half kicking off.

“We have just got to take our chances though. Their keeper has pulled off a couple of 'worldy' saves and we’ve hit the bar and had a penalty denied.

"If we can start like that against Torquay and play as well as we did in that second half at Boreham Wood then we will be able to win.”

From a Torquay United point of view

We can have some sympathy for Guiseley, it really so easily could have been us going into the last day in their position, but we got ourselves sorted and it's not us, so not to much sympathy, as Nicholson is still on some what of an extended job interview, finishing the season on high and closing things out with another win will only strengthen his case with the potential new owners.

One thing that's impressed me under Nicholson is the character in his side, once again we saw it last week, after falling behind to an early goal after an awful mistake from Moore, previous Gulls sides would have folded, especially against such a big and physical side like Barrow, but they didn't and fought their way back into the match, denied the full points by a last gasp equaliser.

Once again it's likely we'll be without our choice centre back pairing in Smith and McDonald, however to be fair both Exodus and Gerring stepped up to the plate v Barrow and we'll need them to do that again Saturday, if we can defend for 90 minutes, and have repeat of some of the attacking play that we've seen these last few weeks, no reason why our team can't win, but Guiseley are going to throw everything at us they need to win.

Torquay United top goalscorers

Nathan Blissett 7
Iffy Allen 3
Courtney Richards 3
Andre Wright 3
Dan Butler 2
Shaun Harrad 2
Angus MacDonald 2
Nathan Smith 2
Toby Ajala 1
Durrell Berry 1
Exodus Geohaghon 1
Aman Verma 1
Luke Young 1

Current form

Torquay United; W-W-L-W-W-D

Gateshead 1 - 2 Torquay United
Torquay United 2 - 0 Chester
Torquay United 0 - 1 Tranmere Rovers
Torquay United 2 - 0 Altrincham
Bromley 0 - 2 Torquay United
Torquay United 2 - 2 Barrow

Last time out

Torquay United 2 v 2 Barrow

26 Moore
25 Verma
22 Gerring
8 Young (Racchi 63'minutes)
3 Butler
6 Geohaghon
7 Allen  (Chaney 67'minutes)
16 Richards
4 Rees (Ajala 46'minutes)
17 Blissett
12 Harrad

Substitutes
1 Fisher
10 Racchi
14 Ajala
19 Chaney
28 Wright

GAFFER FULL OF PRAISE

“It was certainly a good game to watch,” he said. “Both teams had their spells on top; I felt that we upped our tempo in the second half and moved the ball quicker.

“They came back into it towards the end and probably got the point that they deserved with their late leveller.

“A few of our boys were running on empty, but they kept going and I am so proud of each and every one of them.

“Everyone in this squad is capable of doing a job. These lads have given me everything.

“Both our goals were good goals; it was a great move and strike by Courtney for the first and then the second goal was just top-class.

“There was some very good football out there today. We’ve got a solid foundation and we’re a club on the up right now.”

Read more at http://www.torquayunited.com/news/artic ... iRB3zEZ.99

Head to Head

English National League

05.09.2015 Torquay United 1-1 Guiseley
Formerly known as forevertufc
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

I'd love to win this game, if for no other reason than James Hurst.

Bitter? Yep, that's me. We had the last laugh, and beating them would be the icing on the cake (as long as it's gluten and dairy free, so I can eat it too....)

;-)

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

I'd love to win this game due to the point Guiseley gained against Braintree.

"The worst thing I've seen in football"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35678750

Cheating b@stards, lets send them down!

C'mon TUFC do football and Halifax an almighty favour!
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Can't wait for this one! A party atmosphere with nearly 70 booked with the travel club and a good load of us doing fancy dress going as Minions.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
manchestergulls
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: alex russell

Post by manchestergulls »

After a great weekend down in Torquay nice easy trip across the hills..... Yellow army....
http://www.facebook/manchestergulls" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
follow me on twitter @manchestergull
take me home to place where i belong, down at plainmoor to see united, take me home the torquay road.........
Clive205
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Colin Lee

Post by Clive205 »

Possibly your last chance to see Lavercombe play for the Gulls so don't miss it ..................... Let's get 500+ there and make it a home game
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I am considering going - but as long as it's not too cold. Can you park near the ground, anyone know?
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

When I write these previews, I put in some of my own opinions for people to agree or disagree with, I try to put in talking points to create debate, admittedly I haven't been overly successful with either. I do wonder how many people actually read the threads :) I guess Wivelgull does not.

What I also do is include information for Gulls fans attending away match's, now Wivel go to the section titled "for gulls fans attending the match" click the link and you'll find all the information needed including parking at Nethermoor park. :)
Formerly known as forevertufc
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

forevertufc wrote:When I write these previews, I put in some of my own opinions for people to agree or disagree with, I try to put in talking points to create debate, admittedly I haven't been overly successful with either. I do wonder how many people actually read the threads :) I guess Wivelgull does not.

What I also do is include information for Gulls fans attending away match's, now Wivel go to the section titled "for gulls fans attending the match" click the link and you'll find all the information needed including parking at Nethermoor park. :)
Forever - I am sure there are many on here who like me, look forward to your previews and the great information you provide. I don't usually comment 'cos I rarely disagree with what you say ! However, I will make one comment this time ....... in our Leading Scorers List, you have made the goals scored by Hurst, Marsh and Fisher disappear ! We may not have been sorry to see the back of them, but they did score some vital goals for us .......... :whistle:
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

tomogull wrote: Forever - I am sure there are many on here who like me, look forward to your previews and the great information you provide. I don't usually comment 'cos I rarely disagree with what you say ! However, I will make one comment this time ....... in our Leading Scorers List, you have made the goals scored by Hurst, Marsh and Fisher disappear ! We may not have been sorry to see the back of them, but they did score some vital goals for us .......... :whistle:
I have no doubt that the list of goal scorers provided by forever is of the current squad, so that's why they are not included
Lucy
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

I'd love us to win and send this tinpot side down after their behaviour v Braintree earlier in the season. Save a proper club like Halifax instead please.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Jawohl!
Orange Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Orange Gull »

Thanks Forever for doing these threads every week, or twice a week sometimes, I always enjoy reading them and it must take you a while to dig up all the information that goes into writing them. As for the game, I think we'll win this one which will send Guiseley down. Agree with Royal that it would be much better to see Halifax stay up, if only because an old school friend of mine is their goalkeeper.
2-1 (Blissett and Harrad getting the goals).
Parry
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Parry »

This will be my first and only game of the season. My girlfriend only lives 30 mins away. What pubs are people meeting at? This should a great day out.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

I'm sure everyone who is planning to be at the Guiseley match will know this, but just in case you don't ...... the kick off is at 5.30 pm as is every National League match on Saturday.