Guiseley v Torquay

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

No not even a smudge
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

NO, we did not let Fc Halifax down. NO team has ever been relegated on ONE game. FC Halifax lost 7.1 to Cheltenham, two weeks later lost 7.0 to Grimsby, the end of the following month they lost 6.3 to Braintree.

FC Halifax let themselves down.
Formerly known as forevertufc
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

kevgull wrote:After hearing Dave Thomas 's comments on the radio yesterday we got exactly what we deserved and in the process let down Halifax and the National League!

He mentioned that players were arriving to the game from all directions, some coming by minibus and others making their own way to the game. Apparently the CEO and other were sat with the squad during the game? We should have been at least 4 down if not more at half time, absolutely shocking 1st half performance! Somehow we have relegated a decent team and kept up a cheating one.

If you the think that I am being harsh, just ask yourself this question.If it were TUFC that needed a point or a win, would we have approached the game differently?

Answer Yes, of course we would have.
I have read some daft comments on here before, but that takes the biscuit. "We" have relegated Halifax? Sorry mate, Halifax relegated themselves, they would have stayed up had they won yesterday, but they drew. Their own fault, nobody else's. Did you go to the game by any chance, or are your comments based on Dave Thomas's words? Dear me.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

We prepared and played knowing that we were safe. We embarrassed ourselves in the 1st half and kept a shite team in the league. We gifted the match to them which ultimately sent Halifax down.

If your trying to tell me that we prepared and played out the game as though we needed a win then you are very much mistaken.

Yesterday we finished in the lowest position in TUFC's history, please go on and make excuses if you feel that it helps.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

kevgull wrote:We prepared and played knowing that we were safe. We embarrassed ourselves in the 1st half and kept a shite team in the league. We gifted the match to them which ultimately sent Halifax down.

If your trying to tell me that we prepared and played out the game as though we needed a win then you are very much mistaken.

Yesterday we finished in the lowest position in TUFC's history, please go on and make excuses if you feel that it helps.
I repeat, did you go to the game?
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

gullintwoplaces wrote: I repeat, did you go to the game?
Did you see the 1st, 2nd and 3rd goal, Oh and the chance they had off the inside of the post, all in the 1st half? We were completely inept and worthy of being 3 nil down.

Have we ever had the CEO sitting with the squad before during a game? Are you saying that the commentary was not factual? DT is a professional sports commentator is he not?

The team ( in the 1st half) played as though they we fully aware of the news to follow shortly, of that I am sure.

If you were at the game please enlightened me as to how we managed to ship 3 goals and very nearly 4 in the 1st half.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I can't see Nicholson not preparing the side correctly for any game. As for the CEO on the bench, give him a break. It was his last game in the role and he accepted the offer of a lifetime and took a seat on the bench. That leads you to hurl a ridiculous accusation at the manager with absolutely no basis for doing so. A poor performance does not equate to poor preparation, it's poor execution of the required tactics which were addressed at half time. Take a chill pill.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Kevgull

You seem obsessed with a poor first half, don't you think that a second half comeback deserves some kind of acknowledgement? Are we not allowed a poor first half and a decent second half in the last game of the season?

After being down 3-0 to a team with everything to play for, away from home, we lost by one goal and nearly got an equaliser. Your comments are so over the top, it just beggars belief. Our season has been awful, dreadful, yet we saved ourselves with two games ago. I don't claim that is success, it isn't, but it could have been far, far worse. Yes indeed, I am worried about what will happen this week, but I will not criticise players who have played their hearts out since January and I will not criticise a manager who has performed a miracle.

The only team responsible for Halifax going down is Halifax! I am astonished that you overlook that to have a go at the Gulls!
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

gullintwoplaces wrote:Kevgull

You seem obsessed with a poor first half, don't you think that a second half comeback deserves some kind of acknowledgement? Are we not allowed a poor first half and a decent second half in the last game of the season?

After being down 3-0 to a team with everything to play for, away from home, we lost by one goal and nearly got an equaliser. Your comments are so over the top, it just beggars belief. Our season has been awful, dreadful, yet we saved ourselves with two games ago. I don't claim that is success, it isn't, but it could have been far, far worse. Yes indeed, I am worried about what will happen this week, but I will not criticise players who have played their hearts out since January and I will not criticise a manager who has performed a miracle.

The only team responsible for Halifax going down is Halifax! I am astonished that you overlook that to have a go at the Gulls!
I had a great day yesterday, the pre match atmosphere in the station pub was a credit to the club fans. Onto the match yes the 1st half was not great, ok it was woeful. But the 2nd half was such a transformation. We could have easily won it 8-4 and that's being conservative. Did we send Halifax down, no we didn't. All they had to do was beat mid table Macclesfield which they didn't. They also had a previous 45 games to avoid relegation. I would have been pleased for breed and Phillips to come on as subs tbh. What's the problem with breed sitting on the bench, did you see the ground yesterday, I doubt they even have a directors seat, it was a woeful ground so he had the best seat in the park. I left feeling proud and at least we made a game of it. Guiesly staying up at least makes them one of the bottom 4 next season.
Lucy
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

kevgull wrote:We prepared and played knowing that we were safe. We embarrassed ourselves in the 1st half and kept a shite team in the league. We gifted the match to them which ultimately sent Halifax down.

I was there and yes Kevgull you're right about the first half. But that's all you're right about.
Guiseley were trying to save themselves and credit to them for that.
The 2nd half was a different story and were it not for an unfortunate slip by Luke Young when they scored there forth, they never looked like scoring.
At 4-3 we had two great chances to draw level and actually win the game.
As for saying that it was Nichols fault, and that Steve Breed couldn't sit on the bench and saying that we relegated Halifax, youre talking out of your ar*e.

Halifax had their destiny in their own hands - and they dropped it.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

We should have gone out of business, we should have gone down yet somehow we have been spared by the good people on the board and the leadership of KN.
I acknowledge that and feel very grateful to those who have been a part of our survival.

I still think that mentally, our season finished at home to Bromley.
I am more than happy to be in the minority, pat yourselves on your backs if you like, however I do think that we let ourselves down and the league yesterday, just saying.

No need to be astonished by my opinion, I respect yours, that's what this forum is all about isn't it.
S4fedr1ve
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Andy Donnelly

Post by S4fedr1ve »

These players must be mentally and physically drained after the post Christmas efforts. Along with the fact our 2 first choice centre halfs weren't playing. Surely we can cut everyone a little bit of slack. And no I wasn't there.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

kevgull wrote:We should have gone out of business, we should have gone down yet somehow we have been spared by the good people on the board and the leadership of KN.
I acknowledge that and feel very grateful to those who have been a part of our survival.

I still think that mentally, our season finished at home to Bromley.
I am more than happy to be in the minority, pat yourselves on your backs if you like, however I do think that we let ourselves down and the league yesterday, just saying.

No need to be astonished by my opinion, I respect yours, that's what this forum is all about isn't it.
Your right in that the Bromley match ensured our league status. I went both the barrow and guiesley matches and witnessed great 2nd half performances in both games. We had our 2 best defenders out in both. But in both matches the players never gave up. Breed and co saved the club, so what's the problem with him sitting out on the bench, as next season he will be in the bench
Lucy
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: colin bettany

Post by samuel »

I went - we made three schoolboy errors or else we would have won 3-2. No, we didn't let anyone down, this was still a reasonable working hard performance but we shot ourselves in the foot but still kept going and if it wasn't for a great save off Harrad would have been 4-4. Only problem was that with non professionals in technical area gives disgruntled Halifax fans the chance to say Torquay were treating this as a bit of a jolly. However, this was not the case and we competed strongly even though we made life very hard for ourselves.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

I will say that KN definately has the ability to turn the tide when required as if he had not arrested such a dismal performance the final result may have been very different, This would have put his potential 2016/17 TUFC managers position into severe jeopardy.