Guiseley v Torquay

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

That's a good point from Lucy. I think we are forgetting that we are missing Berry, MacDonald and Smith from our back four. Put one of those in, never mind all three and we would surely have looked stronger at the back.

Next year I am sure that we will have a more balanced squad and are able to cope a bit better with injuries and suspensions.

Anyway, it was a great day and thoroughly enjoyed by everyone who was there. Hats off to Nicho and the players.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

kevgull wrote:We prepared and played knowing that we were safe.
How do you know ? did you see training in the week, did you travel with the team, did you help with the warm up, or hear what Nicho said to the team prior to entering the field of play. It's got nothing to do with how the team arrived yesterday, our team have gone to quite a few away games with half the team in a minibus and the other half in their own cars.

We embarrassed ourselves in the 1st half and kept a shite team in the league.

You keep missing the point, "we did not" keep Guiseley in the league, Guiseley played 46 match's the same as FC Halifax and finished 1 point plus goal difference ahead, so not even the point they stole came into the equation in the end, "Guiseley saved them selves"

We gifted the match to them which ultimately sent Halifax down.

Here you go again missing the point time and time again, WE DID NOT SEND HALIFAX DOWN, they had FORTY SIX GAMES TO SAVE THEMSELVES, and did not do enough across the entire season, they've gone down on merit

If your trying to tell me that we prepared and played out the game as though we needed a win then you are very much mistaken.

Once again how the hell do you know ?

Yesterday we finished in the lowest position in TUFC's history, please go on and make excuses if you feel that it helps.

Agree, we as a club have not covered ourselves in glory this season, but now have the summer to fix it, and make sure it doesn't happen again

Kevgull this post should not be taken that I do not respect your opinion, I respect all opinions, but when you express your views on a fans forum, all members the right to agree or disagree with your views, sometimes that be more forceful that we'd like, but hey we're all grown ups, and men ( not forgetting are female posters, but you know the point I'm making) aren't we ?
Formerly known as forevertufc
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Up until the 52nd minutes, as a team,we were defensively poor, luckily we were only 3 down and not 4. Racchi (ex Halifax) just saying, came on for Chaney and suddenly we were a different team. It's all small percentages but we then scored 3, should have been 4 or more.

We finished with nothing from a game that we might have won but SHOULD have drawn. Guiseley with their gifted 3 points stay up whilst Halifax are ......never mind, what is done is done.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

kevgull wrote:
Yesterday we finished in the lowest position in TUFC's history, please go on and make excuses if you feel that it helps.
How about finishing 15th out of 20 in the Southern League Western Section in 1924/25?

Or 5th out of only 8 teams in the Western League in 1921/22?

Or 10th in the Plymouth & District League in 1919/20?

History is not what one individual person can recall. ;-)
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

kevgull wrote:Up until the 52nd minutes, as a team,we were defensively poor, luckily we were only 3 down and not 4. Racchi (ex Halifax) just saying, came on for Chaney and suddenly we were a different team. It's all small percentages but we then scored 3, should have been 4 or more.

We finished with nothing from a game that we might have won but SHOULD have drawn. Guiseley with their gifted 3 points stay up whilst Halifax are ......never mind, what is done is done.
you're getting more and more deluded!
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Everybody went to the game in an end of season party atmosphere
We came away with nothing from a game because that is what we deserved ultimately.
We had a non playing non professional footballer sitting with a bench full of professionals. By definition that's made us unprofessional, now if that's what the future holds for us, then I think we ought to capitalise on it and raffle a bench place off for each game next year not just the last one. ;-)

Racchi changed the game when he came on because he is a tackler and ball winner. As we were well short of defensive type players I was astounded that he did not start in his usual place in front of the defence. Perhaps he was one of the players making his own way to the game and he was not in Nicho thoughts and also was not thinking of last nights p*ss up. ;-)

I'll leave you with my final post on this sorry episode:

KN Facebook quote, which I can whole heartedly agree with.

"Well earned night out in Leeds for the boys now, although on our first half performance I reckon a few were already out!!!!!"
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

stefano wrote: How about finishing 15th out of 20 in the Southern League Western Section in 1924/25?

Or 5th out of only 8 teams in the Western League in 1921/22?

Or 10th in the Plymouth & District League in 1919/20?

History is not what one individual person can recall. ;-)

Really
We are a professional outfit, that finished 18th in the 5 tier of English football, equating to being 120th worst team in England.
Roll on the 1920's, kicking bag of pigs skin round the local park and a horse and cart to get to the end of season drinkies.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

All of this could have been avoided if Halifax had a decent striker in their ranks............
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

kevgull wrote:
Really
We are a professional outfit, that finished 18th in the 5 tier of English football, equating to being 120th worst team in England.
Roll on the 1920's, kicking bag of pigs skin round the local park and a horse and cart to get to the end of season drinkies.
You said "in TUFC's history". If you don't know it don't quote it! :-|
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

18th in tier 5 equates to being the 120th BEST team in england. Otherwise you are saying being 1st in tier 1 makes leicester city the worst team in england.

My mistake should read 110th BEST team......
Last edited by Plainmoor78 on 02 May 2016, 11:58, edited 1 time in total.
Oh Fer Christ Sake
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Courteney Richards

Post by Oh Fer Christ Sake »

kevgull wrote:
Really
I do generally find that a lack of understanding of basic concepts goes hand in hand with an unjustifiably unreasonable attitude.

In your case, Kevgull, your unreasonable premise is that a couple of naff decisions from a Torquay United defence comprising: a cast-off from one of the only clubs in the division officially worse than us playing out of position at right back, an extra from the film Predator and a boy from the pub leagues paired at centre back, were to blame for the relegation of a club who, in their own right, had had some 46 games (4140 minutes) to amass the requisite points and had failed, miserably, so to do.

Your lack of knowledge manifests itself in your assertion that, by finishing 18th in our division, we are the 120th worst side in the country.
Firstly, we finished 110 places from the top of the Premier League (92 League clubs, plus 18 Conference places). Secondly, finishing 110 from the top makes us 110th best. Had we finished 110 from the bottom of the pyramid, that would make us 110th worst. I can't prove it (within the bounds of the effort I am willing to make), but I'll say there are a damn sight more than 220 football clubs in England. Indeed, if there are 10,000 clubs in England (which sounds reasonable to me), we are in the top 1.1% of clubs.

To have a little fun with the data, we see that England are ranked 10th of 209 international nations. That makes us (assuming an average of 10,000 clubs per country) among the top 0.05% of football clubs in the world.

We are better than 99.95% of all football clubs in the world... And you're complaining because of a couple of duff performances over the course of barely more than 1.09% of the season (45 of 4140 minutes). You're seriously suggesting it's that which has seen Halifax relegated?

It wasn't vintage by any means, but the first half at Guiseley amounted to three bad decisions. All else being equal, Smith in for Ex would have prevented the first goal (he simply wouldn't have been tall enough to head the ball through). A strong theoretical argument can be made that Gus in for Gerring prevents the second due to the vastly superior positional sense of the former. I don't remember a great deal about the build up for the third, but I do recall that the striker found himself with the kind of time that our first choice defenders haven't given away since KN's arrival.

It's all Roger Irrelevant anyway, Halifax had it in their own hands. It is possible to beat Macclesfield. It is possible to win football matches. It is possible to do everything that Halifax needed to do to stay up and they failed to do it. Their big moment and they choked, they fluffed their lines, cocked-up the punchline, over-salted the broth and that, very much, is bugger all to do with us.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Kevgull - you are boring. We lost by one goal against a team that was desperate for a win whilst we had nothing to play for. We were also missing our two regular centre halves one of whom was replaced by a donkey, so perhaps its no wonder that we conceded four goals.

In the end we only lost by one goal. Guiseley stayed up because they won. Halifax went down because they couldn't win at home. **** them - we stayed up.

Get a grip, the game to us was akin to a meaningless friendly. If you expected anything else perhaps you should have stayed home and saved your money.

You expected a party atmosphere? - Bloody hell - great achievement by Nicholson in keeping us up but in reality a team getting our sort of support in this league should be nowhere near bottom of the league.

Turn your thoughts to something relevant ie what the hell is going to happen now?
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP

Post by taxilady »

welcome to the forum OFCS. Love your assumptions !'We've got the best team in the land'.....TTID
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Oh Fer Christ Sake wrote:
I do generally find that a lack of understanding of basic concepts goes hand in hand with an unjustifiably unreasonable attitude.

In your case, Kevgull, your unreasonable premise is that a couple of naff decisions from a Torquay United defence comprising: a cast-off from one of the only clubs in the division officially worse than us playing out of position at right back, an extra from the film Predator and a boy from the pub leagues paired at centre back, were to blame for the relegation of a club who, in their own right, had had some 46 games (4140 minutes) to amass the requisite points and had failed, miserably, so to do.

Your lack of knowledge manifests itself in your assertion that, by finishing 18th in our division, we are the 120th worst side in the country.
Firstly, we finished 110 places from the top of the Premier League (92 League clubs, plus 18 Conference places). Secondly, finishing 110 from the top makes us 110th best. Had we finished 110 from the bottom of the pyramid, that would make us 110th worst. I can't prove it (within the bounds of the effort I am willing to make), but I'll say there are a damn sight more than 220 football clubs in England. Indeed, if there are 10,000 clubs in England (which sounds reasonable to me), we are in the top 1.1% of clubs.

To have a little fun with the data, we see that England are ranked 10th of 209 international nations. That makes us (assuming an average of 10,000 clubs per country) among the top 0.05% of football clubs in the world.

We are better than 99.95% of all football clubs in the world... And you're complaining because of a couple of duff performances over the course of barely more than 1.09% of the season (45 of 4140 minutes). You're seriously suggesting it's that which has seen Halifax relegated?

It wasn't vintage by any means, but the first half at Guiseley amounted to three bad decisions. All else being equal, Smith in for Ex would have prevented the first goal (he simply wouldn't have been tall enough to head the ball through). A strong theoretical argument can be made that Gus in for Gerring prevents the second due to the vastly superior positional sense of the former. I don't remember a great deal about the build up for the third, but I do recall that the striker found himself with the kind of time that our first choice defenders haven't given away since KN's arrival.

It's all Roger Irrelevant anyway, Halifax had it in their own hands. It is possible to beat Macclesfield. It is possible to win football matches. It is possible to do everything that Halifax needed to do to stay up and they failed to do it. Their big moment and they choked, they fluffed their lines, cocked-up the punchline, over-salted the broth and that, very much, is bugger all to do with us.[/quote

Thanks for correcting my typo, very good read.
Welcome to the forum.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

[quote="brucie"]
the game to us was akin to a meaningless friendly./quote]

Couldn't agree with you more!