Guiseley v Torquay

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

stefano wrote: You said "in TUFC's history". If you don't know it don't quote it! :-|

First Football League match not village kick abouts.
United 1–1 Exeter City, 27 August 1927, Third Division South.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Plainmoor78 wrote:18th in tier 5 equates to being the 120th BEST team in england. Otherwise you are saying being 1st in tier 1 makes leicester city the worst team in england.

My mistake should read 110th BEST team......
Well corrected, wish I had done that! :nod:
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

kevgull wrote:
First Football League match not village kick abouts.
United 1–1 Exeter City, 27 August 1927, Third Division South.
Yes I knew that. Very surprised that you did!

You still said "...in TUFC history". If that is not what you meant then think before you type. Not that that needs saying. The previous posts have identified the plonker element..... ;-)
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

stefano wrote: Yes I knew that. Very surprised that you did!

You still said "...in TUFC history". If that is not what you meant then think before you type. Not that that needs saying. The previous posts have identified the plonker element..... ;-)
Now Now Stefano, "Back in your box!"
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stefano »

kevgull wrote: Now Now Stefano, "Back in your box!"
Well you started it by incorrectly stating that the club had just finished in it's lowest position in it's history. It hadn't.

When I pointed that out you moved the goal posts and stated it was from the first Football League game in August 1927 (even though that was 28 years in to the club history.

But why that date?

The club became a full-time professional club in 1921? Surely if you want to exclude 'early history' to support your argument that would have to be the obvious starting point.

The trouble is though that choosing that date would not support your argument, as during the period from becoming full time professional and joining the Football League the club did finish in a lower position in the football hierarchy than this season.

That m'lud is the case for the prosecution..... ;-)
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

stefano wrote: Well you started it by incorrectly stating that the club had just finished in it's lowest position in it's history. It hadn't.

When I pointed that out you moved the goal posts and stated it was from the first Football League game in August 1927 (even though that was 28 years in to the club history.

But why that date?

The club became a full-time professional club in 1921? Surely if you want to exclude 'early history' to support your argument that would have to be the obvious starting point.

The trouble is though that choosing that date would not support your argument, as during the period from becoming full time professional and joining the Football League the club did finish in a lower position in the football hierarchy than this season.

That m'lud is the case for the prosecution..... ;-)

Thanks Stefano my learned friend, guilty as charged, sentenced to be hung by the keyboard wire at dawn!

I am very interested to know more, would you be so kind as to provide a link to your trusted source, for future reference please?
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stefano »

kevgull wrote:
Thanks Stefano my learned friend, guilty as charged, sentenced to be hung by the keyboard wire at dawn!

I am very interested to know more, would you be so kind as to provide a link to your trusted source, for future reference please?
Link? Bloody link? Never believe anything you read on the internet. Surely you should know that!

It's all written down in tablets of stone ......... ;-)
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

stefano wrote: Link? Bloody link? Never believe anything you read on the internet. Surely you should know that!

Very cheeky reply, but funny!
Enjoyed the friendly banter.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

stefano wrote: Link? Bloody link? Never believe anything you read on the internet. Surely you should know that!

Very cheeky reply, but funny!
Enjoyed the friendly banter.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

For anybody that is interested in TUFC's past league history there is a page on wikipedia titled List of Torquay United FC Seasons going back to 1899. I do not know if there are any written sources still in publication available.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Plainmoor78 wrote:For anybody that is interested in TUFC's past league history there is a page on wikipedia titled List of Torquay United FC Seasons going back to 1899. I do not know if there are any written sources still in publication available.
There is an excellent book - Torquay United - The Official Centenary History 1899 - 1999 - ISBN 1874427380 - but I don't know if it is still available. My only gripe is that the book includes a photo of the 1967/68 team with names of players and for John Bond is written 'unknown'. Stefano and others who populated the Cow Shed at that time will agree this is SACRILEGE !! :bow: It is also sloppy proof reading because there is a photo (on the same page) of the 1966/67 side which includes John bond and he is named.

P.S. For anyone interested, I've just had a quick look on Amazon and used copies are available but it will set you back twenty quid, plus postage. Or you can go on Ebay and get a copy for fifty quid. But if that's too expensive, you can bid for a copy of 'Manchester United - The Official Centenary History' - highest bid so far 0.75p ........
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

About ten years ago The Works in Torquay were selling those for about £5 each, so I bought one. Never seen it on sale since though and the last time I went looking for it I couldn't find it.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Bloggy
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Bloggy »

Got that one and also Leigh Edwards earlier title - The Definitive Torquay United FC. Also have The first 70 Years by Laura Joint and two titles by Mike Holgate - Torquay United Football Club 1899- 1999 and Devon Derbies 1920 - 2001.
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Hammdog2601 »

We gotta win this, for pride. Yes we’ve gone down but least they can do is try
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Hammdog2601 wrote: 23 Apr 2018, 10:43 We gotta win this, for pride. Yes we’ve gone down but least they can do is try
Eh... If you look back through this thread you'll discover we've already lost it. This thread is a for a match played two years ago.