Barrow game

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Mr. Gateman's piece reminds me of when I was working on the D. G. It was pure chance, as a conductor, who you drew for your weeks' shift. As I was 21 at the time I rather dreaded being put on with an old codger. One week I did draw a codger; we were on the 30s and also the 104s/105s (old timers will remember these D.G. routes). Anyway, during the entire week the old sod didn't speak a word to me and, then, just before the end of the last (morning) shift on a Saturday he turned to me and said:

Haccombe, Daccombe, Coffinswell,
All begins wi' A!
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Glostergull »

wivelgull wrote:Yes, I remember the Barrow games in the 60s. Before they were (dare I say kicked out) of the Football League we always seemed to win 6-1 0r 6-2 at Plainmoor.
I know we always wonder what your on Wivell but where did you get the impression we always won 6-1 or 6-2 , was this memories of playing Barrow or the whole league cos we certainly didn't score 6 goals every game. gee if what your on gives you such rosy memories then please tell me what your on because i want a double dose.
As you worked for D.G. you certainly were not very fast. so not a lightening conductor.
As it stand we have a near identical record with Barrow. and if we win this weekend it will be identical. they have beaten us 8 times and we have beaten them 7 times. the rest being draws.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Ah Wivel, I wondered who might complete my little ditty but you've got it wrong! All ends in double 'L'

I'm going off topic now...

...my route from town was the 34 - fare tuppence ha'penny from Castle Circus and I well remember two buses getting stuck side by side in St Marychurch before the bypass was built. (same happened once out at Seale Hayne before the main road was widened).
Traveller

Post by Traveller »

Is there a bus that goes near the ground?
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

The 34 still goes to st Marychurch road near the ground. Can be caught from the town centre.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper

Post by gateman49 »

Yes, get off at Cuss's corner!
DJ Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by DJ Gull »

Taxi's from Torre or Torquay Station usually cost between £4-£5.
For years I have been walking from torre station to the ground, huffing and puffing, deep in lust for the cold beer awaiting my presence!
It has never once occured to me to call for a taxi, until the recent game against southport, where I came across another united supporter, stood at the train station of Newton Abbot, whom refused to allow me to walk for 20 solid minuits, as he had a taxi waiting.
Thanks to that man, from that day on, I have not once walked up those beer time killing hills!

So if your travelling by train, I would recommend booking a taxi to Plainmoor for a few quid! :-D
To the dotted line, We're on our way
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by wivelgull »

Yes: Hatfield Cross, Shirburn Road and finally to Cuss's Corner.....or, you could get off at the next stop (opposite where the chip ship is now and, although it's before my time, where the tram depot was.)
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper

Post by gateman49 »

Hi Wivel, I'm trying to send you a 'pm', have you disabled the facility?
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by wivelgull »

I have fixed the problem, Mr. Gateman.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

DJ Gull wrote:Taxi's from Torre or Torquay Station usually cost between £4-£5.
For years I have been walking from torre station to the ground, huffing and puffing, deep in lust for the cold beer awaiting my presence!
It has never once occured to me to call for a taxi, until the recent game against southport, where I came across another united supporter, stood at the train station of Newton Abbot, whom refused to allow me to walk for 20 solid minuits, as he had a taxi waiting.
Thanks to that man, from that day on, I have not once walked up those beer time killing hills!

So if your travelling by train, I would recommend booking a taxi to Plainmoor for a few quid! :-D
I always go over with an empty car from near Penn inn Newton Abbot, if you ever want a lift, right to the ground send us a PM. :)
Formerly known as forevertufc
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by wivelgull »

About the game: I think United will win. Thus:

TUFC (2) 3
Barrow (1) 2

Att: 2227
DJ Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by DJ Gull »

forevertufc wrote: I always go over with an empty car from near Penn inn Newton Abbot, if you ever want a lift, right to the ground send us a PM. :)
Much appreciated thank you forever, all depends how many of us can make it on the day, there can often be 7 or 8 of us, some occasions just myself.
I am looking at getting a new car in time for next season and cut beer time out of the occasion so public transport may no longer be a thing for me anyway.
To the dotted line, We're on our way
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

If the weathers nice and I'm on the train I go down to Torquay station and have a nice walk along the front and up through the town it does take a while. Did grab a lift back from a forum member afterwards which was always appreciated so i could make my return train back. It is a shame that the ground is quite a way from either station.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

wivelgull wrote:About the game: I think United will win. Thus:
TUFC (2) 3
Barrow (1) 2
Att: 2227
Are you not feeling well, Wivel..?? ;-)
royalgull wrote:It is a shame that the ground is quite a way from either station.
Another good reason for a new stadium at a new location: the Willows/Edginswell, or even the Recreation Ground..