Barrow game

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Orange Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Orange Gull »

Wow what a gate! I thought we'd get 2000 but that is tremendous.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

I was really pleased to see Paul Cox embrace Kevin at full time and then come back out after the match and stand in the home dug out when the team and Nicho were taking a bow.

He could have just disappeared but he did what I thought was a brave thing. I know that many don't think much of him but he stepped in when we had nobody and created a team to start off the season.

It's very different now but that isn't the point as each manager will mould a squad in his own personal style.

Hats off to you today, Paul.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

An entertaining game today, especially the second half. I thought we played well for the most part, and our goals were both excellent. Well done to the team and well done to the fans for turning out in such numbers. A good day out, wish we'd won but Nicho and the players can hold their heads high.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Yes, for an end of season game with nothing riding on it, that was a very entertaining game. First half was a concern as Barrow were on top, and but from some good saves from Moore and some decent defending I fear the team may have gone in a couple of goals behind, second half much better from Torquay, some very neat attacking play, and great credit for a very well worked second goal and finish.

Have to give a special mention to Courtney Richards, why has it taken to the last few weeks of the season for him to play like this, all of sudden he's morphed into to someone who likes like he could be footballer, great strike for his goal, and all round credit where it's due, he was fantastic today.

A Gerring/Exodus central defensive partnership is no MacDonald/Smith partnership, however these two deserve some credit also, thought both accepted the responsibility and stepped up to the plate, well done to both.

Today was areal shame for Moore, he's been excellent for us, and his saves/performances have helped us gain some vital points on the run-in, today he's made an awful mistake that led to the first Barrow, but on past evidence he can be forgiven, surely.

Great credit once again to Nicholson and all the team today, could easily have turned over after that first goal, never gave up, and got a very well deserved point.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Was Richards captain today in Angus' absence?
Swanny
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Swanny »

There was plenty of entertainment today and a bit of a shame Barrow equalized in added time. A draw was probably a fair scoreline. Barrow had the better chances in the 1st. half and led 1-0 but Torquay having made their 3 subs in the 2nd. half took control and seemed to be heading for a win. Anyway, a great atmosphere and a decent crowd of 2,874 with 100 or so from Barrow and everyone went home happy.

Most of the home crowd stayed behind after the match to celebrate the players lap of honour around the perimeter of the pitch. The supporters stayed off the pitch and there were plenty of handshakes exchanged and photos taken and a speech given by Nicholson. I thought it was very sporting that Paul Cox stood by the home dug-out and applauded our lap of honour. I noticed as well at the final whistle Nicholson and Cox had a handshake and big hug so it was good to see everyone ending up on friendly terms after all the trauma that's happened this season.

I thought Barrow looked very strong in the 1st. half. As you would expect from a Paul Cox team, they were strong, pressed the game and were very dangerous from set pieces, long throws included in their armoury. Barrow had countless corners in the 1st. half and it was mainly thanks to Moore, Torquay survived. There were numerous times the ball was in dangerous areas in our box and yet Barrow's goal was from a freak dodgy kick from Moore that hit Exodus on the back and went to their striker. He lobbed Moore beautifully. Torquay did create some decent chances as well at times, the pick being Harrad's audacious lob when their keeper was not in goal from way out that clipped the far post.

Ajala replacing Rees in the 2nd. half gave us more attacking impetus and Ajala did some great tackling as well. Richards scored arguably our goal of the season with an amazing shot from about 30 yards out into the top corner. A couple of minutes earlier I was just remarking to my son how anonymous Richards was! Torquay went up a gear and Chaney who replaced Allen showed delightful skill on the ball. Racchi who replaced Young showed his normal poise on the ball. Torquay's 2nd. goal was a beautifully worked goal. Chaney fed the ball to Butler on the left and his low cross was turned in powerfully by Blissett with a defender on him. Plainmoor erupted again and we were all in party mood. Barrow scored in added time and you have to say that during the whole match they had loads of chances so I cannot complain too much.

Today was a rare opportunity to relax and enjoy ourselves. Today's result was not so important but nevertheless the performance and quality of our goals were proof how far the team has progressed from those horrible dark days a few months ago. And well done to Paul Cox, his recent interview and his attitude today was very touching I thought. He seems an honourable person to me. I feel Barrow will be strong contenders next season.
A Realist
First Regular
First Regular
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by A Realist »

Jeff wrote:Was Richards captain today in Angus' absence?
Yeah he was.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Interesting that being captain seems to bring the best out of Richards. Admittedly it was only the Boxing Day game against FGR that I saw, but Richards was awesome that day.

Shame he can't do that without the armband...
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Jeff wrote:Interesting that being captain seems to bring the best out of Richards. Admittedly it was only the Boxing Day game against FGR that I saw, but Richards was awesome that day. Shame he can't do that without the armband...
To be fair to Courtney, he was playing well at the beginning of the season. I haven't checked, but I think you would find him regularly in the 'top five' players week after week. In fact, many (including me) were saying he should have been given the captain's armband ahead of Angus. He seemed to go through an off form patch in February/March but he has been playing much better since Nicho dropped him to the bench for a couple of matches.

A good last game of the season when nothing was at stake for either side. I agree with Swanny that in the end a draw was probably a fair result. I can't say I agree with some who thought Exodus had an okay game. He hasn't played for ages so you have to make some allowances, but he was beaten in the air time and time again and actually knocked off the ball by less bulkier players. His positional play was poor as well and only redeemed himself with some good last ditch tackles. I think when we see the highlights for their second goal, Exodus didn't challenge in the air and the player he was supposed to be marking rose above him. But I might be being a bit harsh on him there. Gerring was far more solid in the centre of defence than Exodus.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

Enjoyed the game yesterday, very entertaining, crowd were great. Nice to see a few of the players come into the pop-side.
As for the game I thought a draw was a fair result. What seems to be our usual starting formation at home 4-3-3 doesn't suit us or the players cant adjust because we never look comfortable. Barrow played with an extra man in midfield and they troubled us numerous times ending up with corner after corner.
The second half was completely different, the substitutions and changing formation to 4-4-2 really suited us and Ayala and Chaney provided us with width and attacking options. This also provided Verma and Butler with space to create as well. I thought Verma played very well today and has really adjusted to RB.
I wanted to give a special mention to Shaun Harrad. I think he has been excellent and a real great addition from Nico. Yesterday was no exception, he works incredibly hard and provides great link up play and gives Blisset support. His running off the ball creates space for others which was noticeable many times yesterday.
That was some goal from Courtney Richards, we were only talking about how quiet he was when he seemed to turn and fire a shot from about 30yards. I think it stunned everybody because I don't recall there keeper moving. Got to be right up there in the goals of the season. The second goal was just excellent football from us, passing and moving and just a great finish from Blisset. Scoring goals like that shows the understanding and work that has been done recently.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Enjoyed yesterday and can't believe we are where we are in that with two games left we're safe and yet have so much influence on who does go down.

All credit he stuck to his guns and gave players confidence, what more can you ask? Noticed when he first came on the pitch he handed his boots over to someone on the popside, symbolic? Who knows, who really cares now.

A couple of things I do care about, obviously, is his post match interview he seemed to suggest he wasn't clear about who would be TUFC's manager next season. I certainly hope he is. The other, I would not be in support of any plans to move Torquay away from Plainmoor.
TUST MEMBER No. 166

JOHNSON HAD A DREAM
TO BUILD FOOTBALL TEAM
HE HAD NO JOB SO HE CAME TO THE GULLS
WITH CAMERON AT THE BACK
AND REIDY IN ATTACK
WE'RE TORQUAY UNITED
WE'RE ON OUR WAY BACK !!
goodluckgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by goodluckgull »

Did anyone talk to Geoff Harrop yesterday ? He was in the bar after the game. I really hope he understands how popular Nicho is with the Torquay fans right now. I like Geoff, he is a lovely bloke, but Nicho has to be offered the Torquay Manager's job for the good of the club.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

For those not there yesterday or indeed who where, my daughter has uploaded the end of match celebrations on YouTube. Type Torquay v barrow end of match. Useless at getting links copied
Lucy
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

lucy6lucy wrote:For those not there yesterday or indeed who where, my daughter has uploaded the end of match celebrations on YouTube. Type Torquay v barrow end of match. Useless at getting links copied
Typed that on you tube and can't find the video, could you post the link ? play the video right click on the address bar at the top, click where it says copy, and then right click when post reply and click where it says paste.
Formerly known as forevertufc
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

forevertufc wrote: Typed that on you tube and can't find the video, could you post the link ? play the video right click on the address bar at the top, click where it says copy, and then right click when post reply and click where it says paste.
Lucy