Barrow game

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Cheers :)
Formerly known as forevertufc
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

I can't believe for a second that Nicho's position is in doubt. Given what he's done over the last few months, the community spirit and atmosphere that he's built in the ground and momentum that we have under him. There were 2800 there yesterday, a brilliant atmosphere and there's a very well priced season ticket on offer. Sign up Nicholson, take up the option on Blissett and get a few new contracts sorted quickly and we could really take advantage of this mood to sell some tickets.

There is no advantage whatsoever to appoint anyone other than Nicholson. There is certainly no reason to appoint Geoff Harrop, who has never been a first team manager in his life. If the new owners actually came in and did this, based purely on who he is married to, then it would be a pretty clear sign that their interest in the club lies away from on-pitch matters. To date we haven't been told much, but the current consortium have assured us that we should be excited by the change in ownership, so presumably aren't going to signal this right from the outset.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

:goodpost:

Your 100% right, and I totally agree with you. However as I'm sure we're all aware more of often than not, it's standard practise when one business/organization takes over another they will put their own management team in place, so Nicho might not be our manager next season.

My friends and I discussed this before the game yesterday, and we could not come up with one single footballing reason, or common sense reason in terms of a business decision why the potential new owners would want to replace Nicho, but as said, they might, and us fans are aware of it, and so is Kevin Nicholson.
Formerly known as forevertufc
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Re Gulliball's & Forever's good posts above, I am 'holding fire' before I make a decision about buying a Season Ticket (even if it is a bargain price) until we know more about the prospective new owners and their plans for TUFC. It will leave a very nasty taste if Kevin Nicholson is not offered the manager's position after what he has achieved. He has served the club well as a player and now even better as manager. I'm not sure I would want to continue supporting a regime that wouldn't reward someone who has served the club so loyally, although sadly loyalty is rarely recognised in football or anywhere else these days. Certainly not by my Car Insurance company !!
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

tomogull wrote:Re Gulliball's & Forever's good posts above, I am 'holding fire' before I make a decision about buying a Season Ticket (even if it is a bargain price) until we know more about the prospective new owners and their plans for TUFC. It will leave a very nasty taste if Kevin Nicholson is not offered the manager's position after what he has achieved. He has served the club well as a player and now even better as manager. I'm not sure I would want to continue supporting a regime that wouldn't reward someone who has served the club so loyally, although sadly loyalty is rarely recognised in football or anywhere else these days. Certainly not by my Car Insurance company !!
:goodpost:

I'm not going to be as extreme as saying if Nico is ousted by the new board I'll turn my back on the club, but if that is the first thing they do it would be an extreme black mark very early into their tenure. Nico could not have done any more during his tenure, and I struggle to see how anything other than a truly top-line manager would do any better.

It would lead to serious questions on the "football morals" of the new regime, and would surely alienate a huge amount of the fanbase. Even those who weren't behind Nico in the first place.

Surely this won't happen - can it?
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

goodluckgull wrote:Did anyone talk to Geoff Harrop yesterday ? He was in the bar after the game. I really hope he understands how popular Nicho is with the Torquay fans right now. I like Geoff, he is a lovely bloke, but Nicho has to be offered the Torquay Manager's job for the good of the club.
As the Popside sang "Don't sack Nicho" for pretty much the entire second half I would say it's a fairly safe bet that he (and GI) know what the fans opinion is.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

A further observation re the Barrow game. I have been going to Plainmoor for well over 50 years (I started very young .... !) and I have never seen the pitch looking as good for the last match of the season as it did on Saturday. It looked almost like a pitch at the beginning of a season. Hats off to groundsman, Chris Ralph, and his helpers - great work, lads.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

who is Geoff Harrop married to, and why is that important?
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.