Bromley FC v Torquay United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
robc
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by robc »

Posted this in the MOTM thread but can't be bothered to write out a proper match report and wanted people to know my thoughts, so here it is again:

My first game since altrincham on a freezing day a few months ago. The game that Marsh got sent off for having a go at Butler...

Cannot believe what a completely different prospect we are now. Absolutely unbelievable job from Nicho. And yes, I was one of the many who was massively doubtful of his appointment.

Today:

MacDonald
Allen
Butler
Young - even though he only played a half - how we've missed his calmness on the ball, sets the tone.
Verma

Honourable mention:

Gerring - clearly limited to thumping it clear every time the ball came near him. However, didn't let anything go passed him and showed how much it meant to him in the celebrations at the end. Brilliant.

Richards - again, showed that he's limited with a few wayward passes, but never stops running and scored an absolute peach of a free kick. Must've been watching Luke Young in training.

Everyone else - goes without saying. 12 points adrift just a couple of months ago. Now safe with two games to spare. Miraculous.
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

Great result today. I am elated that we are safe with two games to go. Bleddy love this club!!!!
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

GET THE **** IN!!!!

THAT IS ALL.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Scott Brehaut wrote:GET THE f*** IN!!!!

THAT IS ALL.
:goodpost: I suppose that sums it all up. An absolute emotional season, and we can now relax for the last 2 games, this is not the Torquay way, but I will forgive them. I love this club
Lucy
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

Can't wait for Saturday!
TUST number 080
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Greatest of all escapes? :|

A great escape for sure, but not the greatest.

The greatest for me was when Bryn "smiled" at Jim. :rofl:

Then there's the other great escape - escaping the National League in the upward direction.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Clive205
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Colin Lee

Post by Clive205 »

torq2u wrote:Anyone know how Youngy is? Was he taken off as a precaution? Hope it's nothing serious
Youngy was taken off after getting a heavy knock and suffering a dead leg. Should be fine for next Saturday.

Good to see 500+ at Bromley today. Can't see why we can't better that at Guiseley and give the current team and management a massive thank you and send-off for what they have achieved this calendar year.
BobBobBob
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Courtney Richards

Post by BobBobBob »

That was a terrific day. What a magnificent achievement for all the players and Kevin Nicholson. My full thanks to everyone involved.

I would first like to single out Ben Gerring. I've been critical of him a few times in some match threads so I feel a need to specifically point out that yesterday he was excellent. Winning lots of headers and ending many a threat. At one moment late in the second half, the ball got stuck under MacDonald, letting one of their players through and Gerring just came out of nowhere to calmly lever the ball away and to safety. It's also clear based on the full time celebrations that Ben Gerring has played a huge role in the team spirit. He seems like a great bloke.

I'm also so impressed with the way players like Nathan Smith, Dan Lavercombe and Danny Racchi stood with the fans and joined in with the singing. It was especially great to see Nathan Smith leap down to celebrate with the players when Angus MacDonald scored. That is tremendous team spirit. It warmed my heart to see Lavercombe singing his lungs out just before the final whistle.

In terms of the actual match, it's probably not important to mention too much. We weren't at our best and Bromley looked a shadow of the team that gave us such a desperately poor afternoon at Plainmoor months ago (although it really felt like years ago, thankfully). The gap between then and now typifies just how far we've come, though. Kevin Nicholson has an amazing eye for a player. Nathan Blissett offers us so much with his aerial dominance; especially in the first half he was giving their defence a torrid time. One must applaud the sheer work rate of Josh Rees, he just doesn't stop going. One must credit the commitment and hold-up play of Shaun Harrad, too. Brendon Moore was assured as always, I would love us to try and keep him for next season. In Iffy Allen, we have a player capable of taking on his man and taking the pressure off the defence. And speaking of the defence, I'd never guess Aman Verma wasn't a right-back, his positioning yesterday was superb. I feel like we lost a lot of impetus when Luke Young came off, he gives such a calming presence in the midfield. Courtney Richards gets a bit of stick from people, but he was back to his all-action best yesterday. I was so pleased his perfect free-kick went around the wall and sealed our survival. And Dan Butler never stopped running and getting that ball into dangerous areas, the only quality player Paul Cox signed.

I'll break into a separate paragraph to extoll the virtues of Angus MacDonald. He finally picked up his yellow card yesterday (in my mind, he was the one fouled but this referee was particularly poor) yet in the end it doesn't matter, he's deserved an extended break. I sincerely hope this wasn't his last game in a Torquay United shirt, I firmly believe he is on his way to becoming a club legend and would pull out all the stops to keep him here. The fact that he didn't get the booking until safety was guaranteed is a real mark of character. Moments after his booking, he galloped several yards to stop them from a clear shooting chance. He's been a hero these last games. Fantastic goal too.

It's amazing to think that months ago we spoke about the fact that we had no players contracted to next season and that we could begin with a fresh start and all new squad. I'd happily keep the vast majority of these players and feel confident they could achieve as much as promotion with a few additions here and there. We'll have to wait and see what the future holds.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

"I'm also so impressed with the way players like Nathan Smith, Dan Lavercombe and Danny Racchi stood with the fans and joined in with the singing. It was especially great to see Nathan Smith leap down to celebrate with the players when Angus MacDonald scored. That is tremendous team spirit. It warmed my heart to see Lavercombe singing his lungs out just before the final whistle."

Was thinking about this and what Kevin has done (and his most successful achievement in my opinion) is create a great Team Spirit and a group of players that want to help each other at all costs. In comparison to the mess created by Cox and Hargreaves if you have a great team spirit and a happy dressing room you have a chance.
TUST MEMBER
USA Fans

Post by USA Fans »

We have only been following this team from the US for just over a month since Brendan joined on loan. I have to say that I'm hugely impressed with what Nicholson and the boys have achieved in this short time. With sheer grit and determination the points have come, and we have held teams out of the net for 6 out of 10 games. We can only listen to the games on radio and watch highlights, but the team spirit is palpable and comes through clearly. This is a real tribute to Nicholson's leadership skills. Certainly hope he will stay to lead your promotion campaign next season. Last but not least - we have been involved in high level youth and college football ("soccer") over here for many years. This is the most amazing and dedicated fan base I have ever seen. Congratulations and kudos to all from your new found friends and supporters State side. :bow: :clap: :clap:
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Could I please ask that for anyone who went to the game yesterday, a reply in the MOTM thread would be very much appreciated. There's only been a few contributions so far, and with 526 fans at the game there must surely be a few more who could add their view.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

USA Fans wrote:We have only been following this team from the US for just over a month since Brendan joined on loan. I have to say that I'm hugely impressed with what Nicholson and the boys have achieved in this short time. With sheer grit and determination the points have come, and we have held teams out of the net for 6 out of 10 games. We can only listen to the games on radio and watch highlights, but the team spirit is palpable and comes through clearly. This is a real tribute to Nicholson's leadership skills. Certainly hope he will stay to lead your promotion campaign next season. Last but not least - we have been involved in high level youth and college football ("soccer") over here for many years. This is the most amazing and dedicated fan base I have ever seen. Congratulations and kudos to all from your new found friends and supporters State side. :bow: :clap: :clap:
Welcome to the madness that is supporting The Gulls !!!
:clap: :clap:

:scarf: :lol: :scarf: :lol:
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

USA Fans wrote:We have only been following this team from the US for just over a month since Brendan joined on loan. I have to say that I'm hugely impressed with what Nicholson and the boys have achieved in this short time. With sheer grit and determination the points have come, and we have held teams out of the net for 6 out of 10 games. We can only listen to the games on radio and watch highlights, but the team spirit is palpable and comes through clearly. This is a real tribute to Nicholson's leadership skills. Certainly hope he will stay to lead your promotion campaign next season. Last but not least - we have been involved in high level youth and college football ("soccer") over here for many years. This is the most amazing and dedicated fan base I have ever seen. Congratulations and kudos to all from your new found friends and supporters State side. :bow: :clap: :clap:
Being a supporter of Torquay United has never been an easy life and this season has certainly been a roller coaster after the team hit the bottom of the league, had no money and had a manager with no previous experience. Being in the National League (as opposed to the Football League) was bad enough, but it looked as if we were heading even lower into oblivion. Slowly, results started to improve and then they began to drastically improve resulting in some hope that we might survive this dreadful season.

We had a good young goalkeeper, Dan Lavercombe, and when he picked up an injury, our hopes were dashed again. Then from nowhere, Kevin Nicholson brought in Fleetwood's (Div 2) second choice goalkeeper - Brendan Moore - who had never played in their first team. He has proved to be great signing and has certainly contributed to the team's successes in recent week. We would like him to stay but I suspect bigger clubs than Torquay United will have been alerted to what a confident 'keeper young Brendan is .......... :nod:
USA Fans

Post by USA Fans »

Kind words @tomogull. Injury can be cruel in this game as Dan knows. Brendan actually did earn a first team start at Fleetwood last Summer. He fractured an ankle in that game leading to surgery and 4 months out. But that's all behind both of them now. Onwards and upwards to the lads.
jackgladman
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by jackgladman »

@USAFans, I did notice some Americans at the game who seemed to be friends of Brendan's which was fantastic as it did seem to give him some serious confidence. Dominating for the ball when crossed in the box and at one point absolutely flattened two Bromley players which resulted in us chanting 'USA'. He is a brilliant keeper and would be really lucky if we kept him next season!