Torquay United v Altrincham

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Torquay United v Altrincham

Post by Dave »

We finally arrive at our last midweek fixture of the season, and the stakes couldn't be higher as we welcome fellow relegation strugglers Altrincham to Plainmoor (LWS) this Tuesday night.

Altrincham would have been hoping to build on last season and consolidate their place at this level, however Alty like us have struggled and enter the final few games currently sat in the bottom four, this seems to be largely down to their form in the second half of the season, since the turn of the year Altrincham have managed just two wins, although have drawn as many games as they've lost, which suggests they can be difficult to beat.

With out hopefully tempting fate, it does seem as if their away form has been the main factor in their struggles, as 73% of Altrincham's points and 67% of their goals scored have come at home, but they'll know a win on Tuesday night will not only lift them out of the bottom four, it will take them above us in the league on goal difference, and despite four of our entire six home wins occurring since late February, Altrincham will believe they're more than capable of winning at our ground.

Altrincham top goalscorers

Michael Rankine 11
Damian Reeves 8
George Bowerman 5
Josh Ginnelly 5
Jake Moult 4
James Lawrie 3
James Phillips 3
Ryan Crowther 2
Jordan Sinnott 2
Nicky Clee 1
Sam Heathcote 1
Marcus Holness 1
Josh O'Keefe 1

Current form

Altrincham; W-L-D-D-L-D

19 Mar Altrincham 4 - 0 Aldershot To.
26 Mar Halifax Town 1 - 0 Altrincham
28 Mar Altrincham 1 - 1 Southport
2 Apr Kidderminster 1 - 1 Altrincham
5 Apr Altrincham 1 - 2 Dover Athlet.
9 Apr Altrincham 0 - 0 Bromley

Last time out

Altrincham 0 - 0 Bromley

17 Deasy
2 0Sinnott
5 Havern
4 Moult (O'Keefe 68'minutes)
3 Griffin
6 Leather
19 Crowther (Reeves 75'minutes)
8 Richman
15 Ginnelly
7 Lawrie
9 Rankine

Substitutes
10 Reeves
12 Heathcote
14 O'Keefe
23 Williams
27 Saville

Tolson vows to lift sorry Altrincham

"I don't know how many times I've gone into the changing room and said one mistake has cost us the game, and it has happened again.

"We have played well, looked comfortable, created chances and scored a great goal to go in front but still lost, and the players are devastated. They are distraught in there, but it's the job of myself and Matt Doughty to pick them up, because there are still 15 points to play for.

"I will pick myself up. I have been in football long enough to deal with this and be ready for the next game. Sometimes you go away and question yourself, but I'm thinking 'no, there's not a lot wrong.'

"If there was, I'm a big enough and brave enough person to go and have a chat with the chairman and say 'you know what? I'm out of my depth here.'

"But I'm not, and I know for a fact I'm not. I know for a fact we are not a million miles away. We are a good footballing team who just need a bit of luck here and there and we'll be fine.

"We are going to need three wins at least, starting on Saturday. I love this club and I love what I'm doing, and the job now is to get the players buzzing and flying in training, so they're ready to go again on Saturday."

From a Torquay United point of view

As said already the stakes in this match couldn't be higher for our club, is this the biggest match in our recent history yes I believe it is, we all know the state the club was in last summer, we all know the re-building process will be a lot easier from the National league premier division and this season was all about retaining our place within the division.

Tuesday we have the chance to all but put our own relegation fears to bed for this season, victory versus Altrincham will leave us in a position where by mathematical safety of course depending on all results could be achieved this Saturday coming away at Bromley.

But then we all know our football club loves put us through mill, how many times over the years have we been involved in a promotion or relegation battle that should have been finished 2-3 games prior to the seasons end, only to end up in a last day shoot out, many fans of clubs claim the tittle, but we have the history to prove our club really does not know how do things the easy way.

The pressure is all on our team here, we're sat 18th and there to be shot at, and we're at home in a must win game, but if we look back to the 20th February sat bottom of the league 12 points behind safety, every game since our team rocked up at Boreham Wood has been full of pressure, 8 wins and 3 draws in a recent run of games proves that our team can more than handle the pressure, and should be rightfully confident, but not over confident, as that is arrogance which can lead to our down fall. Having said that, team performances during the last few games have been very good and right up at the level needed, so more of the same please, and we can be confident of bringing home the points.

Us fans can more than play our part, don't care how you get there, get to the ground Tuesday, bring a mate, your girlfriend, your dog, cat, even your rabbit, all voices are needed, sing loud and proud and support your team to the level they have earned, they've done their bit, as have we, but one last big effort is now due to help see over the line in this match.

Torquay United top goalscorers

Nathan Blissett 7
Andre Wright 3
Iffy Allen 3
Dan Butler 2
Nathan Smith 2
Toby Ajala 1
Durrell Berry 1
Exodus Geohaghon 1
Shaun Harrad 1
Angus MacDonald 1
Courtney Richards 1
Aman Verma 1

Current form

Torquay United; W-L-L-W-W-L

19 Mar Torquay Utd 1 - 0 Southport
26 Mar Dover Athlet. 5 - 0 Torquay Utd
28 Mar Torquay Utd 0 - 1 Eastleigh
2 Apr Gateshead 1 - 2 Torquay Utd
5 Apr Torquay Utd 2 - 0 Chester
9 Apr Torquay Utd 0 - 1 Tranmere

Last time out

Torquay United 0 - 1 Tranmere

26 Moore
25 Verma
5 MacDonald
4 Rees
3 Butler
18 Smith
7 Allen
10 Racchi (Young 57'minutes)
19 Chaney (Wright 70'minutes)
14 Ajala(Harrad 60'minutes)
17 Blissett

Substitutes
8 Young
12 Harrad
16 Richards
22 Gerring
28 Wright

Player-manager on our home reverse to Tranmere Rovers...

“We played okay, but that’s not enough against a side like Tranmere,” he admitted. “We huffed-and-puffed and created chances, but it’s fine margins.

“I would have liked us to have gone at them a bit more; we didn’t play badly, but it feels like an opportunity missed.

“We know that we have to be at it in every game, and if we can do that we fancy ourselves against anyone at this level.

“We’ve got good characters here and things are still very much in our hands. It’s up to us to brush ourselves off and be ready to go again on Tuesday.

“The next game becomes the most important now and we will prepare right so that we can take another step closer to getting the job done.

“We’ve got options and decisions to make, but if the lads continue to give me their all, we’ll get to where we want to be.”

Read more at http://www.torquayunited.com/news/artic ... kMPCkZP.99

Head to Head meetings

English Conference Premier

26.02.2008 Torquay United 1-1 Altrincham
29.03.2008 Altrincham 1-1 Torquay United
14.02.2009 Torquay United 3-1 Altrincham
10.03.2009 Altrincham 0-1 Torquay United

English Conference

17.01.2015 Altrincham 2-1 Torquay United
11.04.2015 Torquay United 2-0 Altrincham

English National League

31.10.2015 Altrincham 1-1 Torquay United
Formerly known as forevertufc
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Another great opening post from forevertufc. This is the biggest game we will play this season, win and we are 98% safe, lose,it goes down to guiseley. A draw would be a bad result in my opinion. It has to be all out attack Tuesday night. Angus picks a booking and he's out for the season. I would take a Torquay win and a Angus yellow for sure Tuesday. Are Altrincham travelling down Tuesday or staying over tonight does anyone know?
Lucy
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Thanks Lucy.

Other important fixtures Tuesday.

Guiseley v Wrexham
Kidderminster v FC Halifax (interesting)
Formerly known as forevertufc
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

lucy6lucy wrote:Another great opening post from forevertufc. This is the biggest game we will play this season, win and we are 98% safe, lose,it goes down to guiseley. A draw would be a bad result in my opinion. It has to be all out attack Tuesday night. Angus picks a booking and he's out for the season. I would take a Torquay win and a Angus yellow for sure Tuesday. Are Altrincham travelling down Tuesday or staying over tonight does anyone know?
Hopefully, but not if we lose - then it may well be Guiseley.
I'm getting the train down from Essex for this one. I hope people realise the importance and we get a good crowd - 2,500 Torquay fans in full voice would really make a difference.
Gulls2ndsince80s
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: DAVE CALDWELL

Post by Gulls2ndsince80s »

Would love to go but trusting Kevin and the boys will do it and then the rest of the season will be a smooth run in. Even a draw will be a good result so all the pressure is on Altrincham.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

I'm expecting a nervy, edgy game. Two wins from our last four games would see us safe. Tomorrow night won't be easy. Rankine and Reeves are proven goalscorers at this level. As Forever posted, vocal support in numbers could make the difference. I thought the lads on the Pop side were a little quiet on Saturday. So I'd like three things - a win (a draw would do), no injury worries and no yellow card for Angus !
brooker
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Super Rene Howe

Post by brooker »

Have we got Danny back or is he still on hols?
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

brooker wrote:Have we got Danny back or is he still on hols?

Got back today but working tomorrow and missing the game :-/ :-/ :-/
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

brooker wrote:Have we got Danny back or is he still on hols?
Danny Stevens? I'd have him back tomorrow. Great little player.. :)
Stevie_RitchTea
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Ruairi Keating

Post by Stevie_RitchTea »

Some stats which I feel are important leading up to Tuesday's game...

Altrincham haven't won in 5
Torquay haven't drawn in 6
Altrincham haven't won away in 9
Torquay haven't drawn at home in 4
Altrincham have only kept ONE clean sheet from 20 away games this season

Whilst I will not make any predictions to tempt fate, I'd say the stats are in our favour.
Let's hope our nerve holds out and we can scrape a win. :goal: :scarf:
TUST Member 405
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: colin bettany

Post by samuel »

Lucy sums the game up. A win for the Gulls and if Angus is going to get a yellow let it be from stopping them equalising.

Post by Guest »

Really need to make our home advantage count and make a lot of noise. If we have a Drummer, please can you keep the drumming going throughout the game. Singers have to lift the players right from the start to finish. Keep the belief and stay positive and try not to let your nerves get the better of you.....
northlondongull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by northlondongull »

I think that we can win tonight however I always feel that when you play the teams around you in a dog fight at this stage that the real importance is that this game is a must not lose. A draw would put us in a strong enough position with three games to go.

Still, I will go for a 3-1 win (Blissett, Harrad and Allen) ...yes Harrad will score tonight. att.1835
northlondongull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by northlondongull »

I think that we can win tonight however I always feel that when you play the teams around you in a dog fight at this stage that the real importance is that this game is a must not lose. A draw would put us in a strong enough position with three games to go.

Still, I will go for a 3-1 win (Blissett, Harrad and Allen) ...yes Harrad will score tonight. att.1835
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

A win, I think. Thus:
TUFC (1) 2
Altrincham (0) 1

Att: 1594.