Torquay United v Altrincham

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Well that Harrod goal will probably be the most important goal in our History.. The Goal that settled us and unsettled Altrincham. Great win and good turn out for a Tuesday night. and on the radio it sounded fantastic. I really do have to find a way to get down for the last match of the season..Sam you up for picking me up at the station if I can..
We are now on 47 points..with the max total that Boreing woof and Altrincham being only 50 I would stake my life that there is no way they are going to win all three of their matches and we have done it. I said 48 points . well one point from our last three games will cement it but the way we are playing I can see us winning all three of them. Halifax look as if they have done it too. the surprise for me is Guisley managed to find something in their locker at the last minute.. But this is a funny old game. and anything can happen and usually does. we have had an unerring ability of snatching defeat from the jaws of Victory. bar a couple of seasons where 50 or more points were needed.. most seasons have required less and this season is on target for 47 or so.
Well done to all the lads.. especially Kevin Nichleson who has crafted a hard working team out of a rag bag collection of individuals. some of whom were sort of on the scrap heap and have resurrected their careers. if i was them i would use this as a spring board for next season.. build on the confidence and success of the last few weeks,. Yes they can argue for a bettter contract and move on.. but maybe this one time it might be better to hold on for a little while longer. make the team succeess and then be in a stronger position themselves..dont use short term interests which might well end up short circuiting their career. give yourselves a decent platoform to build your career and then you might enjoy some real success.
And well done to the board for holding your nerves when fans were panicing. Especially in light of other interested parties who have done their best to rock the boat with insinuations and innuendo.
and finally to the hardy fans who stuck with the lads when all seem lost. we are a credit to the National League.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

Luke Young's goal.. cracking strike!

Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

This was always going to be the key game. Excellent performance/result, massive well done to Nicho and everyone involved, can't fault a single player out there tonight, everyone played their part in that.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Glostergull wrote:Well that Harrod goal will probably be the most important goal in our History.. The Goal that settled us and unsettled Altrincham. Great win and good turn out for a Tuesday night. and on the radio it sounded fantastic. I really do have to find a way to get down for the last match of the season..Sam you up for picking me up at the station if I can..
We are now on 47 points..with the max total that Boreing woof and Altrincham being only 50 I would stake my life that there is no way they are going to win all three of their matches and we have done it. I said 48 points . well one point from our last three games will cement it but the way we are playing I can see us winning all three of them. Halifax look as if they have done it too. the surprise for me is Guisley managed to find something in their locker at the last minute.. But this is a funny old game. and anything can happen and usually does. we have had an unerring ability of snatching defeat from the jaws of Victory. bar a couple of seasons where 50 or more points were needed.. most seasons have required less and this season is on target for 47 or so.
Well done to all the lads.. especially Kevin Nichleson who has crafted a hard working team out of a rag bag collection of individuals. some of whom were sort of on the scrap heap and have resurrected their careers. if i was them i would use this as a spring board for next season.. build on the confidence and success of the last few weeks,. Yes they can argue for a bettter contract and move on.. but maybe this one time it might be better to hold on for a little while longer. make the team succeess and then be in a stronger position themselves..dont use short term interests which might well end up short circuiting their career. give yourselves a decent platoform to build your career and then you might enjoy some real success.
And well done to the board for holding your nerves when fans were panicing. Especially in light of other interested parties who have done their best to rock the boat with insinuations and innuendo.
and finally to the hardy fans who stuck with the lads when all seem lost. we are a credit to the National League.
I wouldn't say Halifax are safe yet. Trips to Cheltenham and FGR and home games against Eastleigh and Macc......they will do well to get more than 4 points out of that lot
Urban Spaceman
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by Urban Spaceman »

Unfortunately at FGR, we have completely lost the goalscoring and winning touch, but hopefully, even we should be able to beat Halifax, although I would not bank on it.
DJ Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by DJ Gull »

That was a fantastic game! A real team effort, played some lovely football at times and two very well taken goals! Didn't allow altringham to play football, forcing them into hopeless long balls, in fact they looked a bit like us 3 or 4 months ago. For me the most satisfying thing is the teams ability and 'know how' to see the game out!
Can't stop admiring the league table!
To the dotted line, We're on our way
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Well that was a huge, huge, phenomenally huge win. 6 points between us and the bottom four means at the very worst we will go into the final game level with 21st and 22nd place. It would be nice to get things confirmed as quickly as possible though so that the final home game and away trip could have the celebrations that they deserve after a miserable few years.

Kevin Nicholson deserves the upmost credit for turning the club around. We're above the 1800 break-even figure, have some positivity and momentum on our side and are improving the local community links. I hope this is the start of something special, on and off the field.

Also deserving of their pat on the back are the board for backing him, and Angus MacDonald who has not only been on a tremendous run of form, but has also managed to survive without picking up a yellow until we've reached a very healthy position. With Smith and Berry out as well, god knows what our defence might have been like otherwise.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

We were superb in the first half. Unsurprisingly the level dropped in the second as tiredness crept in. Wonderful atmosphere on the popside. A great night.
TUST number 080
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

A great result in the end but we looked very nervy at the start and looked to be badly missing Smith & Racchi. Then a great strike by Luke steadied the nerves and we started to play some neat football. Altrincham obviously had a 'rocket' at half time and came out for the second half over five minutes before the re-start but they just stood around chatting amongst themselves. Very strange. We started the second half very slowly and Alty created a few chances and their no. 15 who came on as a sub for Rankine at the start of the second half caused us a few problems. Then slightly against the run of play, Shaun Harrad scored a good opportunist goal. Game over. Overall, we looked a far better side than Altrincham. In fact, I would say that they looked the worst team we've seen at Plainmoor this season. We should have won 3 or 4 - 0.

A word of praise for Brett Huxtable. Like everyone else, I groaned when I heard he was tonight's ref and feared the worst. But fair play to him - I thought he ref'd the game very well. Now on to Bromley, and there's no reason why we should not be able to beat them and look to overtake Southport. Onwards and upwards !
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Staggering. This was a must win match, despite it not needing to be. We now have a 6 point advantage, our 17th in table. Chester, Halifax must now be shitting themselves. Altrincham and boreham wood both have to win on Saturday to stand any chance of staying up. i fancy us at Bromley. But what credit to nicho and the entire set up at Torquay. We where dead and buried after tranmere away, the results since are a miracle. Don't you just love being a Torquay fan.
Lucy
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

Well that was a breath of fresh air. We played some really good stuff in places and looked solid at the back too.

Hats off to Iffy Allen who they couldn't handle with his trickery and Dan Butler for putting endless dangerous crosses into their box.

Thinking about it, there were so many good performances tonight that I can't fault anybody. We did what was required and we did it comfortably without looking nervous. So good to see us keep our composure in what was without doubt a massive game.

6 points ahead with 9 to play for and it could all be done and dusted on Saturday. What an incentive that is for the team.

I bloody love nights like tonight!
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Make no mistake this was a terrific performance by United.

We dominated play for most of the game. If we lost the ball 3 United players would converge on the Alty player until we got it back.

Every player put in a great effort and it was a fine shot from which Luke Young scored even if there was a slight deflection.

It was heart warming to see Luke run to the dug out and give Gareth Law a hug for all his help in getting Luke back and fit to play.

We are nearly safe now. Huge thanks to Kevin and Robbie for transforming the team. We are now hard to beat.
IanGull01
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tim Sills

Post by IanGull01 »

Amazing!! Great result and great atmosphere!!

Good to see Dave Phillips on the pitch with the players at the end but any idea who the other 2 guys with him are? Could be the new owners.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

A special mention also to the torrid weather in Torquay in December/January that forced the matches against Halifax , Chester , Altrincham/ Braintree being called off. Had they been played at the time with the previous squad we would now be playing next season in the Conf South.
Lucy
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Ha ha.. Lucy you're referring to the winter rains which were anything but torrid. Know what you mean though; every cloud has a silver lining.. :)