Torquay United v Altrincham

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

One of those games where you can honestly putt all 11 up for MOTM and no one could really argue, a real team performance of effort, fight, togetherness with little bits of quality thrown in there as well.

The effort from this squad of players and coaching staff has been nothing short of immense, to be where we were and where we are now is a miraculous effort and on last night you can see how this bunch of players have done it. Everyone ran their socks off and players have come in and played maybe slightly above themselves or at least given everything they have.

Case in point is Ben Gerring, maligned by some but every time I've seen him play he's never let us down, he's never going to be Rio Ferdinand but like a certain Guy Branston, he's someone i want for this scrap, he heads things, he kicks things away when he has to and I thought he and Angus did brilliantly in particular last night. Angus had a slight problem first half against Rankine and I was stunned to see him go off, second half was a walk in the park for him.

Josh Rees and Luke young had that little bit of quality in midfield and with Luke although he's still clearly not fit, he's got that bit of calmness and quality we've missed all season typified not just with his goal but just the way he'd calm down situations and play the easy ball, it looks easy but it takes a good player to do it and Rees benefited having him in there. I've always liked Richards and he too had a very solid game. First look at Iffy and he gave us an outlet caused them problems all night and again worked his socks off for the side when things broke down, great to see. Thought the two lads up front had good games, bliss won his battles and flick ons, chased lost causes and I was delighted for Harrad, some people near me were getting on his back and I couldn't understand why, I thought he was a constant threat and menace was unlucky first half and the one time he read Bliss' flick on perfectly it was a great touch and finish, delighted for him. 1 criticism of our forwards was they were a bit too slow to read or gamble that Bliss would win the header (other than the goal) and also for Bliss he needs to get in the box earlier when the ball goes wide, too many times Verma (who was also good at full back) and Butler delivered good balls to no one, Bliss has to be in that box in and around the penalty spot more.

6 hour round trip, day off work was totally worth it, to see a team so obviously together, play as well as they could in another really big game is all we ask, we don't ask to win every match or win every game 5-0 with total football, commitment, effort and players that care is all we ask and for that as well as one of the greatest escapes in football history I am sincerely thankful to Nicho for.
northlondongull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by northlondongull »

northlondongull wrote:I think that we can win tonight however I always feel that when you play the teams around you in a dog fight at this stage that the real importance is that this game is a must not lose. A draw would put us in a strong enough position with three games to go.

Still, I will go for a 3-1 win (Blissett, Harrad and Allen) ...yes Harrad will score tonight. att.1835
I knew it!

What a win. Onwards and upwards now. A point against Bromley ought to seal it and we can put the season behind us.
harbourside
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Mick O'Brien

Post by harbourside »

The Damned United and The Greatest Escape YET?

And after all the grief, the turmoil, the conspiracy theories, the moles, mushroom et al, Deano and then the run where we went without a win for what seemed like months

Last night was very very sweet, and as you know we don't get many nights like that at Plainmoor, and so should be savoured

The damned united? Not quite ...

We're not safe and over the line yet, but we are damned close!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Had to come in last night chuck my stuff down and go straight to work. Nothing more to add regards the match that has not already been said other than the referee Huxtable.

It was just a pleasure to witness this guy just referee the match, a pleasure to see him just focus on doing his job, and for once not seeing him go out of his way to court controversy, has he finally realised that when refereeing it's not all about him.
Formerly known as forevertufc