Gateshead v Torquay United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
MF68
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by MF68 »

Who played centre half?
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Gerring and Mac D
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
MF68
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by MF68 »

Thanks Richins. I am assuming that Angus got through again without a yellow? And Gerring must have played OK.
When does Angus get to the stage where the bookings are wiped clean/amnesty ?
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

As far as I know there isn't an amnesty
Chris B
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Chris B »

This was the clichéd game of two halves. We were incredibly fortunate not to be at least 2 or 3 down at halftime, given the almost comical frequency with which Gateshead hit the woodwork in the first half.

I expected us to force a scrappy game, harrying and challenging everything in the midfield. Instead, Gateshead had the freedom of our box when they managed to string a couple of passes together. Harrad's disallowed goal was the only moment of quality - a neat finish on the turn from an excellent cross from Gus. I felt sorry for Richards, he was that bad. Racchi's withdrawal at the interval was a little more surprising, but proved to be game changing.

Second half, Rees was combative and so much more comfortable in the middle, Young brought some calm and structure to the midfield and Allen's impact was immediate. We were the better team, Bliss started to link the play more successfully, and Wright's cool finish from the edge of the box was just rewards. Thereafter, we caused our own problems, failing to clear our lines. The 5 added minutes, though, were seen out in relative comfort.

A great win, vital 3 points, and a word for Chaney (a bright spark throughout and for next season) and Gus for avoiding a booking once more. Well done the Yellow Army (noisier and more substantial than the 140 Gateshead claimed).
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Burnhamgull wrote:I'm afraid Richards is a liability for me. Can't pass to save his life and only the absence of others has given him a lengthy run in the team.
Got to agree with you he works hard gets the ball and loses it again.It's good that Nicho has opened his eyes to Chaney as he's been at Bideford till just before Christmas and even played against the club in November. The diamond system suites him whats annoying in pre-season he was one of our best players but then got farmed out.
Last edited by arcadia on 02 Apr 2016, 19:01, edited 1 time in total.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Maybe rather fortunate according to the Radio Devon report, but a vital win. I was hoping optimistically for three points from the Dover, Eastleigh and Gateshead games but didn't expect it to come from a win at Gateshead. Now four at home and two away. Our support for those home games is crucial. :scarf:
Stevie_RitchTea
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Ruairi Keating

Post by Stevie_RitchTea »

To anyone who went today: thoughts on Gerring? Any glaring mistakes or did he do an adequate job?
TUST Member 405
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

It never rains but...

Luke Young in hospital according to HE report, I trust it's just precautionary
Forest gull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Steve Cooper
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Forest gull »

He's got a gashed leg, could be out two weeks :-(
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Picture of Luke Young's leg on twitter - https://x.com/tufc_physio/status/716315282126540800

Unfortunate.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

That must have been some tackle. Can't say the boys aren't putting everything into the cause.

Great win today, so pleased.
TUST number 080
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

That's a BIG win no doubt about that. When I saw the line up I thought we had no chance at all. That's massive.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

When I tuned in to Radio Devon at half time I concluded we might scrape a draw.Gateshead hit both posts in added time at the end of the first half!

To win is really massive and largely makes up for losing at Dover and undeservedly to Eastleigh.

Seeing the photo of Luke Youngs leg makes us all realise how committed Luke and all the team are to our "great escape"

Kevin Nicholson must be well chuffed that both his subs scored within 4 minutes and 1 minute respectively of coming on.

The next 3 games all at home must give us the edge if we play well and take our chances.

Do hope Nathan Smith will be back for Chester on Tuesday evening. Vital we turn out in force COYY.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Stevie_RitchTea wrote:To anyone who went today: thoughts on Gerring? Any glaring mistakes or did he do an adequate job?
Little hard to say, partially because we won so perhaps thoughts are more favourable. Secondly, and perhaps more significantly, MacDonald won absolutely everything today, so I can't remember Gerring doing too much. He didn't look out of place by any means, which I thought he did slightly in the 3 games over Christmas and New Year. Their goal came after he headed a ball straight into the back of his opponent's head whilst 'winning it', which isn't a glaring mistake by any means but he possibly might have done better with it.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats