Torquay United v Eastleigh

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Torquay United v Eastleigh

Post by Dave »

I have no knowledge of yesterdays game with Dover at all, apart from the serious injury to Durrell Berry who now faces an uphill battle to be fit for the start of next season, a bitter blow for Berry, as any player at this level suffering such an injury doesn't have the benefits of the overall support that players further up the levels of football would get, I'm sure we all wish him well.

The team went to Dover yesterday off a very good run of results, however all us fans were expecting a tough day, we hoped for a result, but none of us, except the usual wind up merchant who now lives up north was expecting such a result, I think it's fair to say the wheels and the axels came off our wagon yesterday, but there's only one way to deal with life when you fall off the horse, that's get straight back on it, when the going gets tough, the tough do not run away crying, the team have to recover quickly as they're back in action tomorrow, storm Katie permitting.

We welcome former Gull Chris Todd's Eastleigh side to Plainmoor (LWS) for this bank holiday match, Eastleigh currently sat 7th and chasing the play-offs will be desperate for a win in this game, not wishing to tempt fate here, but The spitfires do not travel well, in fact have picked up just 2 points from their last 7 away games, and it is their away form that has cost Eastleigh a shot at the divisional tittle, as a run of 10 games between late December and early March saw them pick up just 1 win.

The last meeting between the two sides back in September although ending in defeat for The Gulls was an entertaining match, after falling behind 3.0 we saw a brave fight back from The Gulls, MacDonald saw a header rebound off the post before 2 quick strikes gave The Gulls some hope, and in the dying embers of the game Briscoe missed from just 4 yards in a game that so nearly saw TUFC take home something from nothing.

Although Eastleigh have recovered some form in their last 6 games, this will be another though game, their should be nothing for The Gulls to fear in this game.

Eastleigh top goalscorers

James Constable 15
2 Andy Drury 8
3 Ben Strevens 6
4 Yemi Odubade 5
4 Josh Payne 5
4 Jai Reason 5
5 Lee Cook 4
6 Joe Partington 3
7 Will Evans 1
7 Kaid Mohamed 1
7 Matt Tubbs 1
7 Jamie Turley 1

Current form

Eastleigh; W-L-W-W-W-D

1 Mar Eastleigh 1 - 0 Cheltenham
5 Mar Braintree 2 - 0 Eastleigh
8 Mar Eastleigh 2 - 1 Woking
12 Mar Eastleigh 1 - 0 Chester
15 Mar Eastleigh 2 - 0 Bromley
25 Mar Eastleigh 0 - 0 Welling Utd

Last time out

Eastleigh 0 - 0 Welling Utd

1 Flitney
31 Coulson Booked at 59mins
2 Partington
4 Evans (Turley 86'minutes)
20 Harding
7 Odubade
8 Payne
10 Reason Booked at 8mins
17 Cook (Fanimo 69'minutes)
12 Midson( Constable 70'minutes)
32 Tubbs

Substitutes
3 Green
5 Turley
9 Constable
19 Poke
25 Fanimo

Torquay trip is a test of character

“It’s a test of our character now,” said Todd, following the Good Friday stalemate.

“We’re disappointed. The boys were a bit deflated in the changing room.

"But I said to them: ‘We’ll look for positives. It wasn’t meant to be today, but we can go and win at Torquay and then this result becomes a good result. You’ll have four points from six’.

From a Torquay point of view

As we see the very welcome return of long term injury victim Luke Young, we lose right back Durell Berry who will miss the rest of the season, also Racchi who's had a massive impact on our team missed the Dover match, really hope he's fit for tomorrow.

Difficult to see what sort of formation was played at Dover, but it appears Nicho seems to have stuck with that awful set up he's persisted with recently, said it in the last match thread I wrote, and will say it again, what the on earth is wrong with 4-4-2.

This is TUFC we're talking about, not football manager, we're not in the Champions league, not international, or premier league, we're a non-league side. We've got a squad of simple, basic footballers, give them a simple basic set of match instructions and tactics to follow and see the success that could bring.

We've got 2 wingers, why not try something really revolutionary and try putting both the wingers on the wing and balance the team up, we've got Wright who causes absolute havoc in opposition back lines put him up top with Blisset please, Young couldn't be risked for 90 minutes yet, but a Racchi/young partnership in the middle looks to have real potential for our survival hopes, Richards always puts in a shift and I'm fan of his because of that, but he can't pass a ball 15 yards, in fact he struggles to pass it 2 yards at times, the team needs quality if they're to stay up.

Finally on to the right back position, many fans are suggesting Rees, not a bad call, but also worth remembering that MacDonald played many games for Salisbury at right back, but that would mean Gerring at centre back though.

Torquay United top goalscorers

Nathan Blissett 6
Dan Butler 2
Nathan Smith 2
Andre Wright 2
Toby Ajala 1
Iffy Allen 1
Durrell Berry 1
Exodus Geohaghon 1
Shaun Harrad 1
Angus MacDonald 1
Courtney Richards 1
Aman Verma 1

Current form

Torquay United; W-D-D-D-W-L

5 Mar Torquay Utd 3 - 2 Kidderminster
8 Mar Torquay Utd 0 - 0 Braintree
12 Mar Aldershot To. 0 - 0 Torquay Utd
15 Mar Torquay Utd 0 - 0 Halifax Town
19 Mar Torquay Utd 1 - 0 Southport
26 Mar Dover Athlet. 5 - 0 Torquay Utd

Last time out

Dover 5 - 0 Torquay

26 Moore
29 Berry (Allen 14'minutes)
5 MacDonald
4 Rees
3 Butler
18 Smith (Gerring 46'minutes)
25 Verma
16 Richards
14 Ajala
12 Harrad
17 Blissett (Young 63'minutes)

1 Fisher
7 Allen
8 Young
22 Gerring
28 Wright

Heavy defeat and injury for Berry...

“We made a number of individual mistakes and they were clinical to punish us,” he said. “Like myself, the lads were shook by Durrell’s injury and it played on their minds through the afternoon.

“We’ve got to recover physically and mentally from this and focus on Monday’s game.

“I’m disappointed for Durrell; it’s a clean break and we’re hoping that he won’t require surgery. We’ll give him all the support he needs as he gets back to fitness.

“As I say, it was difficult for the players to concentrate and now they have to dust themselves down and be professional to go again.

“I gave them an hour after the game to feel sorry for themselves and after that our attention turned to bouncing back in the right way.

“In some ways it’s great to have another game so soon. The lads kept going and kept their discipline out there and our supporters stuck with us throughout, which just shows how special they are.”

It was important to get minutes into Luke,” continued Nicholson. “He slotted in really well and has worked hard to get to where he is.

“It’s nice to see him back out there, but we have to look after him in the right way.”

Read more at http://www.torquayunited.com/news/artic ... 2ulTM37.99

Head to Head meetings

English Conference

29.11.2014 Torquay United 2-0 Eastleigh
14.02.2015 Eastleigh 1-2 Torquay United

English National League

31.08.2015 Eastleigh 3-2 Torquay United
Formerly known as forevertufc
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I wonder if Exodus might come in to play alongside Angus with Nathan Smith ( assuming he is fit) moving to right back.

I would like to see Wright up front with Bliss because if we can get crosses into the six yard box these two could be lethal.

Kevin Nicholson will have some difficult decisions to make but I do hope Racchi is fit to play as he is a key player in my book.

Weather could be a big factor. Ever the optimist I am going for a 2-1 win for United.
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

Think exodus is injured

Weather isn't too bad at the moment, depends how much it rains over night pitch has been back to near best last week
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

When Josh Rees was signed, it was said that he could play either midfield or right back so that would seem to be the logical option rather than upset the central pairing of Angus and Nathan. Like everyone else, I'm gutted for Durrell Berry. He has been our best right back for many a season and is one of the few players who has played well consistently all season (well, since he returned to Plainmoor in the autumn). It's a cruel blow to our chances of staying up but still a long way to go. Sincerely hope that Racchi and Smith are fit for tomorrow.

There are players in midfield who haven't played well for the past three or four games, not just yesterday. Luke Young can't be expected to play a full 90 mins, although I suspect he'd want to be out there ! I'd like to see young Sam Chaney given more opportunities. He's a good player and maybe playing him for half a game and Luke the other half, or something like that, might be an option? Up front, Shaun Harrad has to start showing us why he was such a good player with Burton ...... It will be a tough game which will be affected by the weather - high winds and rain forecast for tomorrow. I was hoping for three points from the Dover, Eastleigh and Gateshead games. Still hoping .......
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

The problem area is right back as you said Tommo just hope Richards does not play there as he's struggling with his game at the moment even though the side has been doing well. Josh seems a disiplined player and might do a job there.Hargreaves made the mistake of playing Richards as a defender.

Sam is a favorite of mine I just like the way he plays and deserves a chance.....His vision is something the side has missed since O'Kane left he set Richards up when he came on at home a few weeks ago but Richards fluffed it. Racchi must have been missed on Saturday as well.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

No chance whatsoever and the final nail in our coffin, I'm afraid. Thus:
TUFC (0)1
Eastleigh (2) 3

Att: 1701
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Forecast is for thunder tomorrow afternoon, let's hope that any lightning strikes are from our team, and also that Dover can do us a favour.
gullsince97
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by gullsince97 »

Wow. @ Wivelgull bet you gave us no chance a month or two ago as well. Support the team.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

The main priority tomorrow is that the players for 90 minutes forget about the Dover match. It's a tough task playing 2 games in 3 days, especially when Eastleigh played Friday. This will be a tough match for both teams, a draw is not really going to help either team.
Lucy
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

Weather not looking good, forecast is non stop rain and thundershowers tomorrow afternoon..
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

Bleeper wrote:Weather not looking good, forecast is non stop rain and thundershowers tomorrow afternoon..
Agreed
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weat ... 1459123200

Depends on the amount of rain from now to 6am plus it then staying dry till KO

No news on pitch inspections?
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

TUST_Member_Rob wrote: Agreed
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weat ... 1459123200

Depends on the amount of rain from now to 6am plus it then staying dry till KO

No news on pitch inspections?

Absolutely hissing down at the moment ........
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

Can't see any chance of this being on with the current weather and forecast!

Blessing in disguise?

Added in 2 minutes 9 seconds:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2635650

BBC reporting dry conditions and even some sun between 6am and 3pm. The strong winds may help with the surface water.
Bert
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: nico

Post by Bert »

Serious rain for the past few hours and more forecast during the night so i would guess that there is some doubt about the game going ahead
A Candy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by A Candy »

I have just been up to the ground. The Groundsmen had been working on it last night and this morning using the tractor to verti-drain the whole pitch. Chris said that there are a few puddled areas that he is working on but at the moment he is reasonably confident that if we do not get any more heavy prolonged rain then there should not be a problem. Sun is currently shining, so fingers crossed.

Added in 3 seconds:
I have just been up to the ground. The Groundsmen had been working on it last night and this morning using the tractor to verti-drain the whole pitch. Chris said that there are a few puddled areas that he is working on but at the moment he is reasonably confident that if we do not get any more heavy prolonged rain then there should not be a problem. Sun is currently shining, so fingers crossed.