Dover v Torquay United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

Doverfan wrote:
But again, when warming down do you honestly think Payne was really laughing at Durrells misfortune, what, an hour later especially as no-one in the ground had even an inkling of the horrid severity of the incident.
No I don't think for a minute that he was laughing at Durrell's misfortunate but given that he had been responsible for inflicting a serious injury on a fellow footballer he could have been somewhat more muted in his actions after being substituted. The fact that he was carried off on a stretcher and that an ambulance arrived and stayed for about 50 minutes would have given most people in the ground more than an inkling of the severity. As reports here have said, anyone at that end of the ground would have known immediately that it was very serious. We were at the other end but found out within a few minutes that it was a broken leg.

And this wasn't the only incident.

Every time a Torquay player showed a bit of skill the Dover response was to hack them down.

Some of the Dover fans weren't the most pleasant of people.

I hope this is a one off season and like a few other clubs who've tried this route, Dover soon sink back to obscurity and teams that want to try to play football prosper. (but first we need them to beat several of our rivals this season!).
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

We have our fair share on here too, life would be boring if we were all the same. Do we all act like brucie or Matt? I think this Dover fan has it spot on.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Southampton Gull wrote:We have our fair share on here too, life would be boring if we were all the same. Do we all act like brucie or Matt? I think this Dover fan has it spot on.
Brilliant post S.G. Says it all in two sentences. I wasn't at the match so can't comment on the tackle or reported reaction from some Dover fans but no real fan likes to see a player badly injured. Personally, I have an admiration for clubs such as Dover and Braintree who are doing well with a small fan'base and I have to say that I liked the look of Dover when they played at Plainmoor last season (I think it was a draw) and when they beat us this season.
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

Doverfan wrote:Good evening gentlemen, can I first assure you I do come in peace, but equally do so to hopefully counter and offer an alternative perspective on some of the comments contained within these pages, written I am guessing at a time when passion and yesterdays circumstances took over from rationale.

If I may, let's deal first with the tackle which putting injury aside just for a minute wasn't good, and on another day I would concede a red could have easily been given and no could have argued. But to suggest as one of your posters did that Payne purposely set out to harm your lad, or as another insisted even more emotively and melodramatically that he intentionally tried to "do him" is surely an utterly ridiculous thing to say and more over the top than the tackle ever was.

Why on earth would anyone, never mind one who has previously been sent of twice want to even consider such a pre-meditated act of thuggery and against someone he doesn't even know, and more so in risking a red which would of meant him picking up a minimum of a five game ban.

I was twenty yards from it, most of your fans weren't, and yes unarguably it was a bad tackle, yes, but not an horrific one.

What was horrific obviously, was the subsequent diagnosis of Durrells injury and as like minded football supporters and I assure you caring and compassionate people to boot, does anyone on here honestly believe that anyone at Dover, from the back room staff, the supporters, players, and probably even more so now Payne himself is not as horrified and equally mortified as you guys now the full horror of the injury is known?

We are not Neanderthals, we're not thugs. Yes of course we wanted to win, like you, we always want to win, but not at any cost, and whilst we are delighted with the result, to suggest there were sections of the crowd specifically laughing at Durrells pain, even without knowing at that time the extent of his injuries is as ludicrous as it is totally subjective, and personally speaking my heart and thoughts quickly go out to him and his family.

But again, when warming down do you honestly think Payne was really laughing at Durrells misfortune, what, an hour later especially as no-one in the ground had even an inkling of the horrid severity of the incident.

Though anything is possible I suppose, and whilst not claiming to know what he found so good natured, so I won't guess, it could have been literally anything (including the simple possibility that we were 4-0 up at the time) and I would personally be mortified (and disgusted) if your assumptions were any more than that, Payney is just not that kind of person. As for warming down where he did, all our players, as indeed is the case at most clubs warm down at the side appropriate to their own dug out.

Yes he could have gone to the other end, but if he did that, you could equally argue I suppose had he done so and in doing so crossed right across your dugout where all your players and management were sitting that too actually could have been more contentious, one of those damned if you or damned if you don't moments I feel.

The only important thing is that Durell now fully recovers from this tragic misfortune and horrible injury, and can I assure you that everyone at Dover that I have spoken to is of the every same opinion and we all genuinely wish the lad the speediest of recoveries, not least that's because that's part of what being a football supporter even at arrogant, tin pot clubs like ours.

Look seriously, we know Dover itself is sh*t hole, we accept that (thankfully I don't live in the town) and we equally know that we are a small club, compared to some, Grimsby, Tranmere, Wrexham and yes why not even yourselves we are a very small club. Christ we have that thrown at us every time we beat a so called bigger team, it's almost as though we've committed a footballing felony and the sh*t we then take from their supporters who subsequently seem quite insulted about it, is relentless and surely that's arrogance>

Do Dover supporters want to see Torquay dive into the Conf South, frankly a lot wouldn't be bothered one way or another, but that had nothing to do with yesterday by the way, all we want to see is out team do well. Personally considering your recent problems, I actually would hate to see you relegated , not least because it's such a hard place to get out of, as indeed is this bloody league, so I wish you the best of luck in your last eight matches I really do.

Someone above suggested it might just be one good season for us, well actually after an appalling start, we had a great season last year as well. So yes we have done brilliantly already for to years. We don't have a great team full of great individuals, but do have a great, almost never say die spirit within the team and look what its doing for us, but next year who knows?

Deverdiks our centre mid who has been superb for us this season could be off, Payne, dare I mention him again equally so and it would be a huge loss as like him (or in your case ) or not is a great centre forward, and worse of all we fear bids coming in over the summer for Miller who has been exceptional take them out of the team (and nearly 50 goals) we could easily be at the other end of the table, which is why the last thing we would ever be is arrogant.

Again, best wishes to you for the rest of the campaign, and especially for Durrell and his speedy recovery, I promise you, no-one is laughing
Thanks for posting doverfan with your side of events. Personally I wish you guys all the best for the rest of the season and the fact clubs like yourself and Braintree are in the top 5 is testament to how good of a team you have. We all know we are not the team we once were in the conference and sadly this season we have been soundly beaten by many clubs, bigger and smaller than ourselves. We made stupid mistakes and quite honestly think we lost our heads after Berry was injured.

Sadly there were a few people near us in the first half who felt it necessary to taunt us and make fun of Berry's injury which caused tension between the fans. As we walked away to change ends I overheard someone say that he hopes Berry wouldn't recover, so I hope you can understand why some of us were very unhappy. Someone near me asked if the stewards could separate both fans at half time just in case anything kicked off.

If Payne was remorseful for what happened then he certainly didn't show it on the pitch. His attitude was very poor, laughing away with the referee at half time, coming out for the second half and smiling at us with a cocky look (you could say it was because we were booing him but he could easily have just ignored us and got on with it). whether you think the booing was petty or not, when a fellow professional has a serious injury, no one should be laughing, especially not the person who caused the injury in the first place.

That's what I witnessed yesterday anyway. Quite impressed with the set up at Dover. Nice little ground, decent clubhouse, decent entry price to get in and I do wish the "fans" all the best for the rest of the season.

We aren't all bitter and the fact that we suffer from big club syndrome is laughable. We know our place and hopefully will still be a national league club next season.
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

Just seen the replay of the tackle on Facebook, dirty shocking challenge.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

The Club must ask the F A to look at this shocking violent challenge first thing on Tuesday morning.

The F A Rule is very clear that even if the Match Officials saw the incident the F. A .CAN retrospectively issue a ban normally for 3 matches.

The referee should have issued a straight red even the Dover fans have said a red card would not have been a surprise.
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: colin bettany

Post by samuel »

Do you know what the link is Bleeper, can't find it. Cheers.
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

It's been posted on the Torquay United - yellow army page
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
berkshire yellow
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Ashley Yeoman

Post by berkshire yellow »

There's no doubt the tackle is a disgusting one, but I don't think Payne meant to break his leg. What I don't like is how he behaved after, I don't think he was laughing at the fact he'd severely injured him, probably more (as posted above) at the fact he was getting booed etc. It wasn't professional at all and was only going to provoke. As for 'warming down' the reasoning isn't that he couldn't warm down in front of certain dugouts as I spoke to a steward about this, as our players were warming up at the same end, it's that they couldn't go where the linesman was, but I asked why some common sense wasn't used and he could have been asked to go somewhere else for exceptional circumstances.
As for Dover fans laughing etc it was just a very small minority, there were Torquay and Dover fans in the same end and there was some normal, football banter between the two and after the tackle they took it completely out of hand and to be honest after that there was a bit of tension in the air.
There is no doubt it was a red and it could possibly have changed the game as before it collapsed it was fairly even and we completely lost our heads. But we need to pick ourselves up and go again for these 8 games, survival is still very much a huge possibility and we can't let this distract us, I really hope to see Durrell in a yellow shirt again soon.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Doesn't make a jot of difference what Paynes intent was. Its a disgusting tackle and is so obviously a red card that it beggars belief that one wasn't issued. As for Doverfan - well he can **** right off as well. Anyone who tries defend that tackle has no credibility.

Who cares whether Payne was laughing or wasn't. Whereabouts he warmed down is also completely irrelevant. The only thing that matters is that the dirty **** should have been dismissed - how on earth he stayed on the pitch is mindblowing. The tackle was two footed and the force of it sent Berry into the air.

The clue is the reaction of the Dover players who immediately starting harranging the referee in an effort to prevent Payne from being sent off.

We have also seen what Kinnears antics are before. Berate the referee continually in an effort to gain an advantage. The problem is that it works.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

brucie wrote:Doesn't make a jot of difference what Paynes intent was. Its a disgusting tackle and is so obviously a red card that it beggars belief that one wasn't issued. As for Doverfan - well he can f*** right off as well. Anyone who tries defend that tackle has no credibility.

Who cares whether Payne was laughing or wasn't. Whereabouts he warmed down is also completely irrelevant. The only thing that matters is that the dirty **** should have been dismissed - how on earth he stayed on the pitch is mindblowing. The tackle was two footed and the force of it sent Berry into the air.

The clue is the reaction of the Dover players who immediately starting harranging the referee in an effort to prevent Payne from being sent off.

We have also seen what Kinnears antics are before. Berate the referee continually in an effort to gain an advantage. The problem is that it works.
:goodpost:
TUST MEMBER
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

see the tackle here