Dover v Torquay United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

lucy6lucy wrote:
Well that's a blow. Mac Donald will at some point get a yellow card. Let's hope smith is ok and of course berry. For those their today did the Dover players and management really laugh at berry injury?

Payne (who caused the injury) certainly showed no remorse, and felt it was quite OK to warm down in front of the Torquay fans whilst having a laugh with his mates.

Some people stood behind me were livid with the Dover bench. My impression was they didn't have much sympathy for Berry
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

Just back home in Essex.

What a horrible team Dover are. The challenge on Berry was the second bad foul in ten seconds. The ref didn't even blow up for the first one and bottled the red for the second. Payne showed no remorse and understandably got much abuse from us when he warmed down.

I think the broken ankle (and it was immediately clear it was serious) had an effect on our players but until they scored we probably looked the better team. At least we tried to play football but every bit of skill was met with a hacking down from Dover. The ref was pathetic.

Having said that there was some awful defending and we only looked like scoring once - just after their third when the ball was scrambled off the line but the ref had missed a blatant pulling back of one of our players.

Hopefully we'll be playing Dover again next season but I'm not sure I'll bother next time - highlight of the day was bacon rolls by the sea at St Margaret's Bay.

And is there so little crime in Dover that the local police could afford to pay three officers to spend an afternoon watching football?
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Back down to earth with an almighty bump!

If we are going to concede 5 and have injury problems then let's do it in one game and not over a period of games.

Regroup and go again on Monday!
COYY!
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

Injuries happen in football, I get that. What I cannot condone is when Payne shows ZERO remorse for what happened to Berry. The referee bottled the decision and speaking to a few Dover fans at full time who had a better view of the incident all said he was lucky to stay on. Then he get's taken off and comes over to our end looking as smug and cocky as ever. I wish him no success in the future.

Never have I been to a ground where opposition "fans" (I would like to point out this is in the minority) would gloat about a player being injured. This is disgraceful and tarnishes my view of their football club.

Payne looked at us as he came out for the 2nd half and laughed at us, absolutely no remorse shown and I only hope Karma isn't real for his sake. The fact he walked off next to the ref at half time also just rubbed salt into already open wounds. He was weak and should never ref at this level again. That said our defending for some of the goals were awful.

Hearing it's a double leg break so hope you're all happy those who mocked. I wish Berry all the best and a quick recovery.
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
Clive205
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Colin Lee

Post by Clive205 »

Just back from the match.

For me the result hinged on the challenge on Berry. He gets a broken ankle and the Dover player gets a yellow card. Clearly should have been a red. With Racchi not playing the defence already had an unfamiliar look about it at the back and after Berry went off, Richards went to right back. After that Dover bombarded the right back position knowing it was a weak link.

To complete Jeff's pretty good summary, the penalty was a clear trip by Verma. Their player had got passed him on their right and Verma was trying to catch him up and took him out having missed the ball completely.

3rd goal was exactly as described. From a long way out Ajala attempted a back pass which no one in a yellow shirt was expecting and which went straight to a Dover player on the 18 yard line who took it on and beat Moore.

4th goal Richards literally chests the ball down straight into the path of the Dover player 14 yards out who also slots it home.

No goals down to faults by Moore.

If they had gone down to 10 men as should have been the case the result could have been a lot different.

Not sure how serious Smith's knock is - hopefully precautionary and he'll be playing Monday. If so then I'd play him at right back and put Gerring in the centre of defence. Hopefully Racchi will play, and Young to start. Will be a different side and hopefully a different result Monday. For the 20 minutes or so he was on Young looked in good shape and nearly scored with his first (practically) touch - a dipping volley from about 25 yards out their goalie got just under the cross bar.

With a different referee it could have been a completely different outcome. I agree about the moments of suicidal play that gifted them 3 goals but I've seen most of the matches this calendar year home and away, league and cup, and this was not the sort of performance I've been used to watching.

Still plenty to play for with games against teams around us so keep the faith and stop all this negative stuff.
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by tktufc91 »

Gareth Law on twitter confirming a Tibula & Fibula break needing surgery.

Hope you're happy with yourself Payne!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Absolutely sickening. I actually hate Dover anyway. Their manager is a **** and they are a tinpot club with a huge chip on their shoulders. Another prick of a referee by the sounds of it. Really depressing afternoon.
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: colin bettany

Post by samuel »

The Payne tackle on Berry was right in front of me. A stone wall red card with a very dangerous studs up tackle with great force. As soon as Berry was on the ground you could see the deformity in his leg. Payne should never have been on the pitch. The referee should have red carded immediately. Absolutely sickening - poor Durrell. Dover manager Kinnear happy to big Payne up when substituted and as mentioned above Payne then gloats while warming down. Police and stewards did nothing to prevent what could have been at least have been a breach of the peace when enraged Gulls fans were voicing there frustration at the blatant provocation of Payne, his manager and his huggy pals in the stand. Shame on you Dover, your player, your manager and your fans. I have no complaints about the result, it is your complete and utter lack of compassion for a fellow player and human being and those associated with him.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Looks like this forum has ruffled a few feathers on theirs: http://doverathletic.freeforums.org/tor ... t5404.html

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by tktufc91 »

Think some of them are missing the point entitely. Not the first time we've been thrashed this season. We know we aren't going to turn over any team in this league. They can call us bitter all they want but put the boot on the other foot and I'm sure they would feel exactly the same as we feel.

See you next season Dover!
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Scott Brehaut wrote:Looks like this forum has ruffled a few feathers on theirs: http://doverathletic.freeforums.org/tor ... t5404.html
Yes the 2 of them managed to get one whole page from the run in to the game to slagging off the views of other football fans who were there. I wasn't there so can't comment. I understand from one of our 3 fans forums that they have a nice tea hut. But it was closed! Never been there other than to catch a ferry and until I saw them on the fixture list didn't realise anybody else had either! ;-)
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

They are a bunch of ****. Even most of their supporters seem to be saying it was a red card. What goes around comes around that's for sure so its just a question of biding our time I think. Lets hope that we can stay up and we can play them again next year.

It does seem that the Berry injury had a big bearing on the outcome of the game. The injury rather than the result has had a massive bearing on our chances though because Berry was playing really well.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Well thats the first and last time i go to Dover. rubbish result that would not have happened had Durell Berry had his leg broken by a bad tackle. Im not sure if any player would go to do another player.. It used to happen many years ago. but i doubt it today.. having said that it happened right in front of me as i was standing with Samuel and it did look bad,. i saw berry fly up in the air. But was it deliberate.? i wasn't sure if the feet were off the ground as Sam said but if so then its a definite red as the rules state. there is no leeway on this. The one sour note for me was the very player who apparently have been sent of twice this season already for the same offence came over to our end smiling and laughing all over his face.. we cannot know what it was he was laughing about but the obvious Dover fans making fun of the player who was injured unfortunately tarnished the reputation of the majority of Dover fans who clapped Berry off. I spoke with quite a few Dover fans who thought we were on the upper hand until the injury and felt that the match hinged on that point. we will need to have some serious reorganisitaion for mondays match. other than that we then seems to capitulate. I spoke to Rees at the end of the game and he says all the team are gutted about the injury. its a double compound fracture of the ankle. (this could be career ending.) fans of the other side who have been saying some really nasty things should look at themselves. although it does sound like the idiots in the family stand are well known for it and do not have the support of the rest of the fans who seems decent.
What happened for the first goal I'm not sure it was a right old scramble. and as usual we lost out.. But the penalty was obvious.. gee what was he thinking of. Toby Ajala had a night mare with that back pass and I felt so sorry for moore who looked as if he had been put up to the stake in an execution. the last goal was a snap shot i don't think anyone could argue with.. but the comment of the match for me came from a Dover fan who summed up a ref perfectly. he said.. If the ref had done his job properly. he would have seen our own player hand ball it just before the tackle which broke berry ankle. if he had pulled up play for a free kick then. berry would have still been on the pitch as the tackle would never have happened. (although i wonder if payne would have tried it later in the game) I wonder if the FA will look at this again. and whether they might take action if the 4th official has noted it was possibly a dangerous tackle. after all Payne has a record for it. so three serious tackles and fouls in a season and one broken leg is not a record i would be proud of.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

I hope that the club will talk to their lawyers about this tackle. Both for the club and for Durrell. Potentially career ending "tackles" are a stain on the game and perpetrators should be held to account. I really hope that Dover fail to go up.
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

gullintwoplaces wrote:I hope that the club will talk to their lawyers about this tackle. Both for the club and for Durrell. Potentially career ending "tackles" are a stain on the game and perpetrators should be held to account. I really hope that Dover fail to go up.
Sadly, many Dover fans appear to be more concerned with gulls fans saying negative things about Payne than they do about a potentially career-ending injury to Durrell inflicted by that scumbag's tackle. Nice.
TUST member 203