Torquay United v FC Halifax

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Torquay United v FC Halifax

Post by Dave »

As we enter the run in games are once again coming thick and fast. Torquay United go into this match of the back of 14 point haul from a 6 game unbeaten run, and two consecutive clean sheets also, this Tuesday night we welcome FC Halifax to plainmoor (LWS).

FC Halifax have had their struggles this season, having won only 2 of their first 20 games, and twice in quick succession lost by 7 goals they looked, like us looked utterly doomed to relegation, but have recovered well, and now look almost certain to play at Wembley in this seasons F.A Trophy final after yesterdays 2.4 away win at Nantwich.

It's no surprise to me, and don't believe it's any coincidence either that FC Halifax have been on such a good run of late, the addition of the wily old fox Jim Harvey first as assistant back in October and then as full manager in December would have, had a lot to do with that.

Kevin Nicholson should know exactly what to except Tuesday as he would have played under Harvey at Forest Green Rovers. It was Jim Harvey that that guided FGR away from certain relegation in 2006 to their, then highest ever finish of 8th in the National League premier division prior to that club becoming the cash rich club it is today.

Jim Harvey is known for playing a certain brand of football, we should know that The Shaymen under his guidance will play neat football into feet, the ball will be passed quickly and we'll see a lot movement off the ball, there's no reason why our squad shouldn't be fully prepared for that, and once again the warnings are there for this game, you feel we must now win.

We also elcome back former Gulls Nicky Wroe and Waide Fairhurst.

FC Halifax top goalscorers

J. Burrow 13
k. James 7
N. Wroe 3
S. Walker 3
J. Bolton 2
J. Hibbs 1
S. MacDonald 1

Current form

FC Halifax; D-L-W-L-W-L

30 Jan Halifax Town 1 - 1 Welling Utd
13 Feb Halifax Town 0 - 2 Forest Green
20 Feb Halifax Town 4 - 2 Grimsby
23 Feb Braintree 2 - 0 Halifax Town
5 Mar Southport 0 - 1 Halifax Town
8 Mar Bromley 1 - 0 Halifax Town

Last time out

Bromley 1 - 0 Halifax Town

23 Johnson
2 Bolton
6 Bencherif
16 Hibbs Booked at 66mins
3 McManus
14 Brown
15 Roberts Booked at 53mins(Hughes 81'minutes)
35 Wroe
4 James (MacDonald 76'minutes)
9 Burrow (Peniket 82'minutes)
40 McDonald

Substitutes
1Porter
11Walker
12Peniket
17MacDonald
24Hughes

Bromley: They Put A Real Effort In

Harvey said: "Again they put a real effort in, physically they [Town] worked hard but they just lacked a little bit of quality. We gave the ball away too cheaply too often."

The second half saw a lot of heads go down as Town desperately tried to regain control in the game, bringing on fresh legs, Josh MacDonald, Richard Peniket and Connor Hughes. Despite this, Town were unable to replicate their performance against Southport and snag a last minute goal.

"Apart from their goal I can't remember Sam [Johnson] making any saves and it wasn't a very exciting game. We had to work hard and we didn't have many chances either which was disappointing because we didn't get the ball well enough and keep it long enough to create those chances," said Harvey.

"It's frustrating because we didn't win. I think because we've put such a good effort in, that we aren't used to losing at the minute."

Harvey said:" That's the league that we are, we've got games coming thick and fast with some interesting games coming with a lot of football still left to be played."

From a Torquay United point of view

The point and clean sheet at Aldershot Saturday as it stands is a decent result, especially as other teams around us lost, to turn that point from a good one to great one our team must win this game, a win here will be so important, it will take us above Altrincham, Boreham Wood and FC Halifax to 19th place in the table and out of the relegation zone for the first time in a long time this season.

A little bit of rotation in the squad might be required, think Richards is looking heavy legged recently, certainly looks to have suffered a real loss of form, maybe time for Verma to come in for start ahead of Richards, and the hope is Blisset is fit to take some part in this game. Wright causes absolute havoc in the opposition back line and holds the ball up well, like to see him up top with Blisset if he's fit for Tuesday, and start iffy Allen, ahead of Ajala, who seems to be struggling for consistency.

The frustration for all of us is, we seem to show far to much mercy if front of goal, I, in fact all of us no doubt hope the one thing being drummed in to the squad prior to this game is "get your shots away" we would have certainly beaten Braintree, and maybe would have snuck a win at Aldershot if our front line were more ruthless in front of goal, please, Tuesday night, lets see a shoot on sight policy.

It was also very positive to hear of an outstanding debut for on loan keeper Brendan Moore, this didn't surprise me to much, I don't why this is, but one thing the Americans do, as well, if not better than most in the beautiful game they insist on calling soccer, is produce outstanding goalkeepers, the world of football is littered with quality American keepers, lets hope for another solid display Tuesday night.

Torquay United top goalscorers

Nathan Blissett 5
Dan Butler 2
Nathan Smith 2
Andre Wright 2
Toby Ajala 1
Iffy Allen 1
Durrell Berry 1
Exodus Geohaghon 1
Shaun Harrad 1
Angus MacDonald 1
Courtney Richards 1
Aman Verma 1

Current form

Torquay United; W-W-W-W-D-D

20 Feb Boreham Wood 0 - 1 Torquay Utd
23 Feb Torquay Utd 2 - 0 Welling Utd
1 Mar Macclesfield 1 - 2 Torquay Utd
5 Mar Torquay Utd 3 - 2 Kidderminster
8 Mar Torquay Utd 0 - 0 Braintree
12 Mar Aldershot To. 0 - 0 Torquay Utd

Last time out

Aldershot Town 0 - 0 Torquay Utd

26 Moore
3 Butler
29 Berry Booked at 35mins
16 Richards (Ajala 65'minutes)
5 MacDonald
18 Smith
10 Racchi
25 Verma
4 Rees
12 Harrad (Allen 65'minutes)
28 Wright

Substitutes
1 Fisher
7 Allen
14 Ajala
19 Chaney
22 Gerring

STALEMATE AT SHOTS

“I’m relatively pleased,” he said. “We did the basics and the ugly stuff well, but we were just lacking in the final third.

“We dominated territory in the opening 25 minutes without hurting them too much and allowed them to get back into it as the first half went on.

“Both sides cancelled each other out after the break and neither ‘keeper was seriously tested.

“It’s another game unbeaten and another clean sheet; there were plenty of positives and plenty for us to work on.

“I felt that Brendan Moore slotted well into the team and he can be proud of his debut.

“We came here to win and I am proud of the work that the lads put in. It’s there for us to do and now we move on to Tuesday’s game against FC Halifax Town.”

Head to Head meetings

Against re-formed club only

English Conference

09.12.2014 Torquay United 2-1 FC Halifax Town
18.04.2015 FC Halifax Town 0-2 Torquay United

English National League

15.08.2015 FC Halifax Town 2-3 Torquay United
Formerly known as forevertufc
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Great OP Dave as always.

We must win this game, it's so important. If we get the three points on Tuesday, it'll be the big push towards safety.

The fans will do their part, the lads need to do theirs.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I think we'll freeze. Thus:

TUFC (0) 1
Halifax Town (1) 1

Att: 1703.
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: colin bettany

Post by samuel »

Really looking forward to this game. A 3-0 win for Torquay spurred on by a raucous 2300 fans.
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

whoever likes a bet - lump on Fairhurst to score!?

Where as Braintree and Aldershot were more must not lose I think we are back to must win for this one,

Hopefully halifax have an eye on their cup 2nd leg on saturday!
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

TUST_Member_Rob wrote:whoever likes a bet - lump on Fairhurst to score!?

Where as Braintree and Aldershot were more must not lose I think we are back to must win for this one,

Hopefully halifax have an eye on their cup 2nd leg on saturday!
13/2(bet365) 1st goal scorer. 10/11 anytime.... :@
Lucy
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

We might have sneaked a win or a draw, not just at Aldershot, but in a few more games over the season, if we had been a little more ruthless in front of goal. Stay cool, calm and collected, and keep the ball down and on target. Then there'll be no reason why we shouldn't win all our remaining games this season. They're there to be won..
:scarf: :scarf:
midtable
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Brian Wilson

Post by midtable »

Maybe it is time for Iffy Allen to make a start rather than come on after 65 minutes. Allen gives the Plainmoor Pirlo someone to pass to as his movement is good while others last Saturday were static. Our results in the last couple of games have been encouraging but anyone watching will know our performances have room for improvement.
Halifax are doing relatively well, score plenty of goals and represent a considerable threat.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Stuff me! How important is this game?

Nearly 200 mile round trip but gotta make the effort,
Anyone know the weather forcast?
See you Tues
TUST MEMBER No. 166

JOHNSON HAD A DREAM
TO BUILD FOOTBALL TEAM
HE HAD NO JOB SO HE CAME TO THE GULLS
WITH CAMERON AT THE BACK
AND REIDY IN ATTACK
WE'RE TORQUAY UNITED
WE'RE ON OUR WAY BACK !!
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

Set fair for the next few days, I think. Today Mid-Devon is sunny tho wind is chilly. Hoping to get the shorts on this arvo.
TUST member 200 ;-)
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

For me it's not about the quality of our finishing, it's about the lack of attempts. How many times do we see our side, especially over these last few weeks get into good shooting positions and either take an extra touch, or pass the responsibility off to someone else, it's almost like they're petrified of missing.

I know the some of the players read the site, there's a chance for one or more of you Tuesday to fire us out of the relegation zone, first sight, every sight of goal have a dig, for every couple missed they'll be one on target, and never know, you might just score. Who wants to be the hero Tuesday ?
DJ Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by DJ Gull »

forevertufc wrote:For me it's not about the quality of our finishing, it's about the lack of attempts. How many times do we see our side, especially over these last few weeks get into good shooting positions and either take an extra touch, or pass the responsibility off to someone else, it's almost like they're petrified of missing.

I know the some of the players read the site, there's a chance for one or more of you Tuesday to fire us out of the relegation zone, first sight, every sight of goal have a dig, for every couple missed they'll be one on target, and never know, you might just score. Who wants to be the hero Tuesday ?

Thanks for another fantastic read forever!

Fully agree on what you say about lack of shots, the lads need to know it's okay to miss! Any sight of goal, give it a go, you never know you might just score a cracker, if you miss, the crowd will clap your effort even if you clear the stand!
Nicho Needs to follow my football manger match instruction, "Shoot on sight", it works ;-)
To the dotted line, We're on our way
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Yep, shoot on sight; good advice. And make sure your passing is also accurate. And your crosses. The players know all this, of course, but, in the heat of the moment, it's all easier said than done. I suppose the most important thing is to keep your wits about you. The team is doing well, so you should all be confident and determined, even more so if you concede a goal: never give up! The supporters at the game will be your twelfth man on the pitch..

Gulls 3 Halifax 1 :scarf: :scarf:
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Your right GS. of course the players know this, and it easier to say it in the stands and on the forum than out on the pitch. In terms passing, crossing accuracy, and good decision making then yes, we're a national league side, if our players had a 90% consistency rate they wouldn't be playing for Torquay at this level, so we should expect higher rate of mistakes, missed places passes and crosses than you'll see at a higher level.

That doesn't bother me to much to a point, only really when you the same mistake made over and over again. What's irked me of late is the number of opportunities to shoot not taken, the percentage is far to high, it could be down to complete lack of confidence, some times you have do something to chance your luck and build confidence.

This is where the coaching staff earn their corn, because right now the players know what do in front of goal, but they're simply not doing it. Just drum it in to them "don't think, just shoot" As said for every 3 missed, 1 will hit the target.
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

Andy Cole was the prime example of this theory. He used to take 5/6 shots for every goal scored, and he averaged a goal every other game. He missed plenty of chances but eventually stuck one in.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"