Torquay United v Kidderminster Harriers

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Dave_Pougher wrote:Halifax have gone one up

Can't have it all I suppose,

GREAT WIN!
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

What an awful second half. We completely got out of jail there.

Night and day difference from first to second half. Kiddy could have had no complaints if they'd been 5 down at half time. We wasted so many clear chances.

Second half we just absolutely fell apart. Second to everything and conceded ridiculous sloppy goals. Then just as it looked like all hope was lost, we scramble in an ugly goal and it wins us the game.

It's great that we are now right in the mix for staying up, but to be quite honest I'd have had more hope if I'd stayed at home and watched the scores come in rather than actually watch how we played.

Great day in the end, but make no mistake we will need to be far better than that
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

if Kidddy win every one of their 9 remaining games they can only get 42 points. Poor kiddy. Even Kev would comiserate with his opposite number having player for them. Welling, that was a surprise. drawing with Cheltenham. which means we still have to keep the pedal to the metal. they can get a max of 57 points. I forecast 48 points for safety. so they need to lose another 3 games and they are down. or failing that fail to win 7 of them. that would give them another 21 points so i think they are realistically down.. its up to us.. we need to win 5 or 6 games and we will be safe I'm sure of that. at the rate we are going the confidence is high. 4 wins on the trot and we are well and truly singing. Nathan Blisset has been a real sursprise. I wasn't confident when he joined us as his record at Rovers was not exactly setting them alight. but since coming here he has got 5 goals and he is likely to end up top scorer this season. I think Fisher is in the lead with that at the moment with 7.
We have 13 games to go. win 4 and 6 draws will see us on 50.. I leave you to come up with any other permutations but I suggest we will get another 6 wins anyway.. as long as we don't shoot ourselves in the foot. Come on Kevin.. lets shove all the previous critisism down the throats of those that wrote you off before you could get the team you wanted.
Im looking forward to seeng what Kevins choice of squad will do next season. ! now see the lions come out of the den to shoot me down lol.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Just got home, not sure we deserved all 3 points but who cares.

Blissett was my MOM he put in a wholehearted shift.
tufc si
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by tufc si »

Jeff wrote:What an awful second half. We completely got out of jail there.

Night and day difference from first to second half. Kiddy could have had no complaints if they'd been 5 down at half time. We wasted so many clear chances.

Second half we just absolutely fell apart. Second to everything and conceded ridiculous sloppy goals. Then just as it looked like all hope was lost, we scramble in an ugly goal and it wins us the game.

It's great that we are now right in the mix for staying up, but to be quite honest I'd have had more hope if I'd stayed at home and watched the scores come in rather than actually watch how we played.

Great day in the end, but make no mistake we will need to be far better than that
Seems to be a bit of a trait of ours to have chalk and cheese halves, but on this occasion it seems we've got away with it where as a few weeks ago it would have been a different story.

The table certainly reads a hell of a lot better now than it did, win our 1-2 games In hand and it'll look even better. Nicho needs to make sure this purple patch continues. Would happily take a point next Saturday to keep us in touch and then Tuesday is another huge game against Halifax
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

At least we are chipping away at our neg goal difference. Makes us more competitive in the final rolls of the dice.
TUST member 200 ;-)
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

PHEW !! first half should have been out of sight and mind, maybe a bit of complacency set in at half time, personally I thought we were tactically out thought at the break, as Kidderminster took the very dangerous number 34 Whitfield off the wing and put him in the middle, Kidderminster looked a different side, our midfield didn't seem to cope with him in the middle at all .

In the end perhaps lucky to win, but did win and a priceless 3 points. The criticism and honest criticism, was a bit disappointed with Nicho seemed to slow in making a much needed change, at 2.1 our team were not holding the ball up at all, and there seemed a lack energy up front, as Kidderminster were playing out from the back far to easily.

At 2.1 I said a number of times they'll score unless we bring Wright on, ad they did, once Wright was on turned the game back in our favour, all though would have put him in the middle with Blisset.

All in all another good day for us.

Edit; Just add fans superb, and great drumming again Danny.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Just seen the result!! GET IN THERE YOU MOTHERS!!!! COME ON!!
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

madgull wrote:Now I can finally say it...I'm just glad that our manager and players have more determination and backbone than our so-called supporters! ;-)
Hahaha good post Madgull! Made me titter!

To the match.

Game of 2 halves.

At 2-2 I thought there was only one team gonna win and that wasn't us.

Their number 34, very dangerous, can we get him for next season please.

Blisset was MOTM for me, won loads of headers, tracked back, some good tackles and a well taken goal, well done Nathan!!

In the first half Kiddy were absolutely terrible, like us at Bognor actually.

:goodpost:
TUST MEMBER
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Thought it was an excellent first half but Richards and Ajala need to look at their second half performance a lack of concentration big hole through the middle.
McDonald had an excellent game but needs to control himself if he wants to go up a standard as clubs don't want players who are suspended all the time. The pairing of Smith and McDonald can be one of the best in the league if they continue to improve and get stronger.

Lavercombe has got to look at the first goal he conceded I thought he should have got off the ground and pushed the ball over the bar. It's best he can look at this in a win, well done to him and everyone involved. :keepie:
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

madgull wrote:Now I can finally say it...I'm just glad that our manager and players have more determination and backbone than our so-called supporters! ;-)
Please don't ever refer me as a so called supporter. My quotation as you highlighted, came after the tranmere game(was you there? I was.) We where awful, when the team was double digit points from safety after that match and playing poor, yes relegation was on the cards for sure. So I was right in my comments. I am astounded and over the moon with the current turnaround in results. But surely your catalogue of quotations should have been published when survival is achieved. We are still in a very worrying position but it is certainly looking better. As I am a northern supporter( with no connections to Torquay ) I class myself as a true supporter, and the prospect of not being able to go to matches in the north if we get relegated is unthinkable, and I'm sure this has crossed the minds of other northern based fans who make our away crowds very healthy. Thank you good night.
Lucy
6667GULL
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'KANE

Post by 6667GULL »

Ajala is too much of a luxury if he doesn't track back and cover Berry which he certainly didn't do today.
The only one not to put in a shift.
We need 110% from all the players.
Overall well done today but please don't throw away any more two nil leads between now and the end of the season.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

lucy6lucy wrote: Please don't ever refer me as a so called supporter. My quotation as you highlighted, came after the tranmere game(was you there? I was.) We where awful, when the team was double digit points from safety after that match and playing poor, yes relegation was on the cards for sure. So I was right in my comments. I am astounded and over the moon with the current turnaround in results. But surely your catalogue of quotations should have been published when survival is achieved. We are still in a very worrying position but it is certainly looking better. As I am a northern supporter( with no connections to Torquay ) I class myself as a true supporter, and the prospect of not being able to go to matches in the north if we get relegated is unthinkable, and I'm sure this has crossed the minds of other northern based fans who make our away crowds very healthy. Thank you good night.
Doesn't matter if you're from Torquay or not.

You're a supporter that's all that matters.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Well that was tense but a good crowd and a blindingly edgy ending. Really we should have gone in four nil up at half time. Ajala missed an absolute sitter and Harrads wasn't a lot better.

We were in total control until Mr Out of Position Lavercombe got it all wrong for their first goal. I didn't see anything of the winner at all but apparently Smith handballed it into the net. For once the luck went with us and the only stat that really matters was Torquay 3 Kidderminster 2.

Personally I would still like to see Andre Wright partnered with Blissett up front.

Added in 7 minutes 8 seconds:
Stupid post of the year award goes to madgull. Easy to put up when we have started winning., If you were so confident why didn't you post that after the Tranmere game then?

Everyone is happy to be proved wrong - perhaps you ought to read the "win the next four games thread"
Swanny
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Swanny »

Another huge 3 points for the Gulls but they certainly did it the hard way after sacrificing a 2 goal lead. All looked rosy at half-time - winning comfortably and deservedly at 2-0. We looked like a transformed side, a cohesive unit, hard working and balanced. Kidderminster looked poor, often giving the ball away in dangerous areas and hardly looked capable of a comeback. However a soft goal conceded with a horrible mis-judgement from Lavercombe (who otherwise had a decent game)and all Torquay's old failings came back. Kidderminster then equalized and looked the better team as Torquay struggled and were uncertain in all areas. Torquay's winner had a touch of fortune about it in a mad scramble from a corner that apparently came of Smith's hand. Crowd just over 2,00 with 150 from Kidderminster, sponsors MOTM going to Racchi who I like the look of. He looks like Hargreaves in his playing days, plays the game intelligently and is a good tidy passer of the ball as well as having a good delivery.

Torquay were camped in Kidderminster half up until they scored on 10 minutes. A corner was half cleared, Smith tried an audacious overhead kick from inside the penalty area, it hit the crossbar, hit the back pedalling keeper's back and went in! It was harsh on Smith to give it as an own goal. Torquay were comfortably in control, Harrad shot wide on the volley with the goal gaping. But Blissett gave the Gulls a 2 goal cushion just before half-time. A deep cross on the left from Rees, Blissett climbed at the far post above a defender, headed the ball downwards that beat their keeper at his near post.

Kidderminster improved in the second half and showed more attacking intent. Torquay still looked reasonably comfortable until following a free-kick, MacDonald was beaten in the air a long way out and there seemed little danger. Lavercombe however was caught in no-mans land as the ball looped over him into the net. Torquay lost their earlier confidence and Kidderminster were on top. Kidderminster's equalizer followed from a break down in a Torquay attack when they hesitated to shoot. Kidderminster broke away and a sweet strike from just outside the box beat Lavercombe low down.

Andre Wright replaced the inconsistent Ajala and made an impact with several dangerous runs down the right as the game evened out. Torquay badly needed a lift and Wright provided an outlet. Butler's in swinging corner caused mayhem and Smith scored our winner apparently with his hand as the ball bounced around the 6 yard box. Torquay got lucky and it was a little harsh on Kidderminster. Chaney came on for Harrad and contributed well by keeping the ball around Kidderminster's corner flag.

So a vital win from a much improved Gulls team. Yes we've giving ourselves a real chance of survival but it's still a tough ask. It's going to be a roller coaster ride but this present team is doing us proud again after many awful months.