Macclesfield v Torquay United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

No its entirely what we do. The other results won't make one jot of difference. Lose the next two and we will be relegated. Win the next two and we will be in a position that we could barely have dreamt about five games ago.

People were moaning and whinging when we lost to Bognor - not me though. At last we got our priorities right.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

brucie wrote:No its entirely what we do. The other results won't make one jot of difference. Lose the next two and we will be relegated. Win the next two and we will be in a position that we could barely have dreamt about five games ago.

People were moaning and whinging when we lost to Bognor - not me though. At last we got our priorities right.
Brucie is right - it's entirely in our own hands to stay up. Winning games in hand, plus beating Halifax and Altrincham at Plainmoor, will see us above them both. All we need to do then is match their form for the rest of the season.

The next two games are critical, and both very winnable. Kidderminster's form seems to have dropped off again after their little purple patch. Hopefully the "curse of the ex" will see Blissett run amok on Saturday. Braintree are one of few teams who are on the same game pattern as us so we can't argue about fatigue there. That said, a point agains Braintree wouldn't be too shabby if results go our way on Saturday and we can back it up with 3 points at Aldershot the following weekend
Foxhole
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Foxhole »

I still think we need to have a fantastic run of form - how you can say we wont be relying on the results the team around us does slightly baffle me.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

brucie wrote:I don't really subscribe to the school of thought that says that matches against Halifax and Altrincham are the biggest matches.

Kidderminster is the biggest game and then so is Braintree. We are going to be a tired team by the middle of next week but the other two have played just as many as we have and Braintree will have a long trip on the day.

These two games are distinctly winnable as well. There isn't a lot of quality around. Halifax, Kidderminster and Southport havn't turned into good teams - they are just playing average teams every week in the main.

The key is that we have nearly a fully fit squad so we MUST make this count. Four points out of six minimum requirement but we really need to win these two - if we do that we are in dreamland.

The Halifax and Altrincham matches are big matches, they are the two teams we can only realistically catch if we are to survive relegation
Lucy
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

Last nights performance was fantastic and for once, I enjoyed being a Torquay fan. Richards and Racchi in the middle did a great job, McDonald found his voice as a captain and Blisset and Harrad up front caused all manner of problems to a team who a couple of weeks ago were much the better side against our B team.

Lots of hysteria starting to develop on here so lets keep it in perspective and keep our feet on the ground.

Kidderminster is the next game so stop worrying about Braintree.
Talk of bringing a big crowd in for Saturday is great but realistically, I'd be happy with 1600-1800.
We have not become world beaters and we will lose a game or two so lets not go mental when it happens. I for one believe Halifax will cause us problems. Nicky Wroe and Waide Fairhurst are almost certainly going to come back and haunt us.

Get behind the team, keep your fingers crossed and pray.

:scarf:
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

Foxhole wrote:I still think we need to have a fantastic run of form - how you can say we wont be relying on the results the team around us does slightly baffle me.

It's fairly self explanatory (and explained in the post you're referring to) how we don't need to rely on others results to stay up. Yes, it will potentially require a great run of form, but if we beat Halifax and Alty, and win our games in hand, we will be above both and out of the relegation zone. So we are not, at present, relying on others losing to stay up. Win all our matches and we're safe. Beat Halifax, Altrincham, and one more game than they manage to win on top, and we're safe. Obviously them having terrible run of form makes our job easier, but it is actually in our hands now.
Foxhole
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Foxhole »

Kernow - that was point exactly. I don't see us winning every game from now until the end of the season. Do you? Whilst it is mathematically in our hands - the teams performance around us will have a part to play in our survival or relegation
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

It's taken a long, long while, but now nearly everyone says: brucie is right!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I agree with wivelgull.
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

Foxhole wrote:Kernow - that was point exactly. I don't see us winning every game from now until the end of the season. Do you? Whilst it is mathematically in our hands - the teams performance around us will have a part to play in our survival or relegation
If you start thinking about other teams you will get relegated. The club/team need to concentrate on their games and what they do.

If we get 50 points we stay up because 4 other teams probably will not. As fans we will look at all the permutations but the players need to keep it simple. Win 7 and stay up.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

wivelgull wrote:It's taken a long, long while, but now nearly everyone says: brucie is right!
No - Brucie must have changed his medication because his posts now make a lot of sense and he isn't slagging off people left, right and centre !! ;-)

Added in 7 minutes 39 seconds:
Kit_robin wrote: If you start thinking about other teams you will get relegated. The club/team need to concentrate on their games and what they do.

If we get 50 points we stay up because 4 other teams probably will not. As fans we will look at all the permutations but the players need to keep it simple. Win 7 and stay up.
Kevin Nicholson is saying 'take one game at a time' (not a new idea from a football manager !) and he is exactly right. Concentrate on the next game, not the league table or games coming up. Who would have thought that Arsenal, Spurs and Man City would all lose last night? Arsenal, for example, hit the woodwork three times. On another day, they would have all gone in. That's the great thing about football - it's so unpredictable, even more so in our league. Just concentrate on Saturday's match against Kidderminster.