Torquay United v Welling United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Torquay United v Welling United

Post by Dave »

The Gulls go into this match off the back of a very important win away to Boreham Wood. This Tuesday we welcome Welling United to Plainmoor (LWS) in a match that sees The Gulls v The Wings.

Welling United looked set for a much better season this time around, with 5 wins from 7 games between mid September and mid October saw The Wings in 15th place well clear of the relegation zone, however a disastrous run that has seen them go 15 league games with out a win, a worse long term run of form than our own, has seen Welling United drop into the bottom 4, currently just 3 points ahead of Torquay United.

I seriously am loathed to say this, but for the first time, in a long, long time during the course of this season, I, perhaps many will feel The Gulls go into this match as favourites to win, hopefully it's something our new look squad can, and will cope with.

Welling United top goalscorers

Sahr Kabba 5
Sam Corne 4
Xavier Vidal 4
Reece Harris 2
Michael Adewale Oluwabunmi Bakare 2
Ricky Wellard 2
Michael Chambers 1
Kadell Daniel 1
George Porter 1

Current form

Welling United; L-D-L-D-L-L

23 Jan Welling Utd 1 - 2 Barrow
30 Jan Halifax Town 1 - 1 Welling Utd
2 Feb Braintree 1 - 0 Welling Utd
6 Feb Welling Utd 1 - 1 Altrincham
13 Feb Cheltenham 2 - 0 Welling Utd
20 Feb Welling Utd 0 - 2 Wrexham

Last time out

Welling Utd 0 - 2 Wrexham

Rodak
Chesmain
Williams
Ferry
Chambers
Gayle
LeeNortey 90+1'minutes
DanielAdeloye 61'minutes
YusuffKabba 69'minutes
Harris
Wanadio

Substitutes
McEntegart
Kabba
Nortey
Lokko
Adeloye

From a Torquay United point of view

I start this today with yet another appeal to the fans, our squad simply have to win games against those sides directly above us the league table if we're to have any chance of staying up, this game Tuesday now takes on probably a bigger importance than Saturdays game just gone.

This game will in my opinion define whether we have a chance at survival or not, no other result than a win will do, fail to win and the task of staying up will start to look insurmountable, our squad are under extreme pressure, and us fans can really help, it's frustrating watching miss-placed passes, shots off target, mistakes, etc, this will happen during a match, does to the best of them, but we must not get on the teams back, we must support, even if we do nothing but sing Yellow Army for 90 minutes.

If you can afford to go, and your in the area, get down to the match. I know, I don't always include cup results in these threads, but, if we include Macclesfield in the Trophy, and Boreham Wood, that's 2 straight wins, win this match, and it becomes 3 straight wins, that breeds confidence, in turn, confidence breeds itself, with some momentum, we can go on a good run, of our own.

What I took from listening to the commentary Saturday, is our team dominated possession, and had the chances to, put this game to bed before half time, but didn't, with Both Wright and Allen missing this game through injury, and having seen their collective ability to finish first hand, my hope is both will be fit to take some part in this game, with these two added, to Saturdays performance, maybe, but, maybe being the key word, we at last have a team to be proud of, lets hope my renewed optimism is not misplaced.

Torquay United top goalscores

Dan Butler 2
Andre Wright 2
Nathan Blissett 2
Toby Ajala 1
Durrell Berry 1
Josh Carmichael 1
Exodus Geohaghon 1
Shaun Harrad 1
Angus MacDonald 1
Courtney Richards 1
Aman Verma 1

Current form

Torquay United; W-L-L-L-L-W

26 Dec Torquay Utd 4 - 1 Forest Green
28 Dec Cheltenham 1 - 0 Torquay Utd
1 Jan Forest Green 3 - 1 Torquay Utd
23 Jan Torquay Utd 0 - 2 Gateshead
30 Jan Tranmere 2 - 1 Torquay Utd
20 Feb Boreham Wood 0 - 1 Torquay Utd

Last time out

Lavercombe
Berry
Smith
Racchi
Butler
MacDonald
Richards
AjalaChaney 85'minutes
Rees
Harrad
Blissett

Substitutes
Chaney
Gerring
Hancox
Nicholson
Corderoy

NICHOLSON SMILING

“It was a good performance where we got exactly what we deserved,” he said. “I don’t want to highlight individuals because there were good performances throughout the team.

“It was a real team display with everyone playing their part and doing their job, which is just what we need between now and the end of the season.

“We maybe made it a little harder for ourselves by not taking our chances earlier in the game, particularly in the first half, but we saw it out well and looked solid.

“I’m happy that Bliss opened his scoring account for us; it was a great header and that’s what he is all about.

“We created some good opportunities and maybe should have had a couple of penalties, so I don't think anyone could have complained had we won by a bigger margin, but when they hit the woodwork late on, my heart was certainly in my mouth!

“As I say, it was a deserved win; we’ll enjoy the journey home and then our focus will turn to Tuesday and another massive game against Welling United.

“With so many home games to come, we need to turn The Launa Windows Stadium into a fortress.”

Read more at http://www.torquayunited.com/news/artic ... Y9M5vfg.99

Head to Head meetings

English Conference

12.08.2014 Torquay United 3-0 Welling United
28.12.2014 Welling United 0-0 Torquay United

English National League

12.09.2015 Welling United 1-1 Torquay United
Formerly known as forevertufc
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Looking at Welling's results against other teams over the season, anything less than a win for the Gulls by three clear goals is unthinkable. So the biggest danger for us is complacency.

Effort and determination are needed in this game as much as in any other, and if ever our team needed support in a game it's this one. Get up there and shout yourself hoarse, not only to cheer on the lads, but to send a message to their opponents that the Gulls are now invincible.

:scarf: :scarf:
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Let's hope Wings are clipped!
DJ Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by DJ Gull »

The lads need us for this one, lets get down there and show them that we believe! And lets make some noise!
To the dotted line, We're on our way
Orange Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Orange Gull »

nickbrod wrote:Let's hope Wings are clipped!
Curse you, I was going to make that rather obvious joke. Thanks for thread as always Forever, if we win this then I'll start to believe that we can do it. However, if we draw or god forbid, lose, then I think it's all over. We simply must win.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Phew, had a very quick sneaky at the forum earlier, and thought perhaps there was going to more interest in conference attendance records than this match :Oops:

No worries Orange gull, and totally agree, not that any Gulls fan need, or should need telling, but I have tried to create a sense of just how big this game will be in the match thread, and why I feel it's important for every fan of the club who can, gets down to the game, and fully support the team.

No doubt we've left ourselves a huge mountain to climb, but win this game, not only will that give us our third straight win in all competitions, but it could potentially take us back above Kiddie with 3 games in hand, we would draw level with Welling with 2 games in hand still on them, bring us to with in 6 points of Boreham Wood with 2 games in hand, and to with 8 points of Altrincham, with 3 games in hand and them still to play at home.

All sudden that would give us every thing to fight for, weather forecast looks good also.

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=cr&ei= ... er+torquay
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Was going but put off by whether it would be on - may go if its dry tomorrow.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Forecast for it to be dry all day tomorrow, it's been dry today since around 10am, the rain prior to that was light, think there's a really good chance this match will be on.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

brucie wrote:Was going but put off by whether it would be on - may go if its dry tomorrow.
Oh dear - we always lose when you pay a visit to Plainmoor ......... (I'm sure Wivel will agree) :'(
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Absolutely has to be 3 points. Shame but we're in a position now where we can't make any mistakes, we are still a mile off safety and to have any chance winning 1 losing 2 isn't going to do anymore we have to go on championship winning form for at least a month-6 weeks. Which is why we are still certs to go down.

Fingers crossed for tonight though, Do think we'll win this one actually.
northlondongull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by northlondongull »

royalgull wrote:Absolutely has to be 3 points. Shame but we're in a position now where we can't make any mistakes, we are still a mile off safety and to have any chance winning 1 losing 2 isn't going to do anymore we have to go on championship winning form for at least a month-6 weeks. Which is why we are still certs to go down.

Fingers crossed for tonight though, Do think we'll win this one actually.

That's absolutely right, Royal! Needing no less than 3 points could have its advantages. Hopefully it will mean that we go out and play freely.

We have a good run of fixtures now which will define our season:
Welling (H), Macclesfiled (A), Kidderminster (H), Braintree (H), Aldershot (A), Halifax (H), Southport (H). In my opinion with our new look squad each and every one of these seven fixtures is winnable. lots of home games and lots of the less fancied teams in the league. Let's build momentum and see where we get to. We are playing the teams around us and they will drop points elsewhere. Game on...!
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Those home matches all have to be wins and we probably need to win 1 of those away games as well, if we fail to win a home match then both those aways have to be wins.
northlondongull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by northlondongull »

We have 23 points on the board and probably need c.50 to stay up based on previous seasons totals. That's a huge hill to climb but taking 12-15 points from the 7 as a target would give us 35-38 points with 9 games to go. The table should start to shape up a bit better if we can take 4 from the next two league games. All to play for!

And just to add in...I think we are now better than many of the teams in this division on our day. Let's not forget that after beating Forest Green the fixture list gave us four of the top five to play (Cheltenham, Forest Green again, Gateshead and Tranmere).
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Actualy Northlondongull. Thats not quite correct.. he consults his statistics records. nerd like.
although there have been seasons where 51 points were needed. they only accounted for 4 seasons i can find out of the last 11 or so. indeed on season needed only 42 to stay up. several needed around 46 and that seems to be the average.. i will see if i can work out an avarage of points over a season for the table as it stands now
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843