Torquay United v Welling United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

how good were McDonald and Smith, bossed the back line, as did Butler and Berry. A great defensive display.

Ajala wasn't on it today and was rightly replaced by Allen who's tricks came off and won us the game.

Ref was a muppet.

That win really turns up the pressure, and hopefully will aid to the rebuilding of the attendances!

The Great Escape is on?
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

brucie wrote:Good win - the referee was absolutely shocking. Yes Blissett provides a few comedy moments but hes difficult to play against, is a big unit and looks fitter. Definitely a plus for me. I was in line with the Smith header which the keeper carried about two feet over his line. It seemed that the officials didn't give it and I've no idea what happened after that.

Glad you made it Brucie to see a rare (but let's hope a more common) United victory. It was a hard-fought win on a gluepot of a pitch but the remaining 15 games will be tense battles like that. An unknown factor in this league is the type of ref we're going to get. Tonight's ref was awful. He booked Berry for a clean tackle where he won the ball and then he booked Raaqui for an innocuous challenge. I liked the togetherness of the side tonight. They seemed to be working for each other and encouraging each other. Dare we dare to dream the impossible ? The trouble is we could be bottom of the league again on Saturday night - bloomin' Trophy !! By the way, does anyone know where Exodus is? He wasn't on the bench at Boreham Wood and nor was he there tonight.
TUST_Member_Rob

tomogull wrote:

Glad you made it Brucie to see a rare (but let's hope a more common) United victory. It was a hard-fought win on a gluepot of a pitch but the remaining 15 games will be tense battles like that. An unknown factor in this league is the type of ref we're going to get. Tonight's ref was awful. He booked Berry for a clean tackle where he won the ball and then he booked Raaqui for an innocuous challenge. I liked the togetherness of the side tonight. They seemed to be working for each other and encouraging each other. Dare we dare to dream the impossible ? The trouble is we could be bottom of the league again on Saturday night - bloomin' Trop hy !! By the way, does anyone know where Exodus is? He wasn't on the bench at Boreham Wood and nor was he there tonight.
guess not in the squad, pretty sure he was watching by the subs bench
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

a massive 3 points tonight, what's more important is that the team are together for the fight ahead. Most of this squad may not be here next season, but they are equally fighting for their own career. This is the mental attitude we need if we are/ can avoid relegation this season.
Lucy
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

Thanks for the reports, as ever. I was folowing live scores in a hotel in Cardiff, greatly relieved when Allen scored to ease the tension
TUST number 080
gullsdiv2
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Louis Briscoe

Post by gullsdiv2 »

Butler MoM for me, only one who got the ball down first half and tried to play a bit of football, and great play by him for our second, also a top delivery for our first! Ajala had one of those nights where everything he tried didn't come off but i really don't think we're seeing the best of him "in the hole". We need to get Ajala and Allen on the wings and stretch teams, we really only did that once Allen came on. Welling by far the poorest side I've seen all season, hopefully the boys have got some momentum going now!
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: colin bettany

Post by samuel »

Good win. Nathan Smith impresses more wit each game. Thought he was a bit lightweight to start of with but the boy is doing good. Ajala on a hat trick of shots out of the ground from eminently scoreable positions. I like Courtenay Richards but in the last two games I've seen his distribution has been absolutely appalling. Although I saw him score the goal against Boreham Wood, Blissett has not impressed me at all. It seems strange Smith wins more headers than Blissett does. His timed jumps are awful. He even converted what could have been a flick on for a goal in the penalty area, to a throw in to Welling. Not sure if I have ever seen that before. Anyhow, a battling performance, as mentioned above, good work from Dan Butler as well. Like the look of Iffy as well.
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

Other than our own Directors,did anyone spot anyone they recognised in the Directors Box-nearly all the seats seemed to have been taken and there seemed to be more people in there than the whole of the rest of the family stand? Saw one smart looking young guy walking around with Mervyn Balson-did anyone recognise him?
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Think that's a bit harsh on Blissett really. I thought he had a good game. Yes I have seen the Gateshead and Welling games and Ajala is definitely in the wrong position. Last night he was trying to dribble the ball through the quagmire that was the centre of the pitch and the ball was bobbling everywhere.

The key to our win was width with Allen playing in a wide role when he came on.
TUST_Member_Rob

The goals
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Just a few random thoughts on last night's match. The 'gate' of 1300 odd was disappointing. It seems that 500 or so 'fans' have given up on the team's chances of staying up although there was the little matter of Arsenal/Barcelona on BT Sports. On the other hand, the gate was higher than Accrington's attendance and they are in the Div 2 play-offs. Also, Guiseley and Braintree only managed to pull in just over 500 each. Great support from Danny the Drum and his mates on the Pop side. I'm sure support like that will make a huge difference to our chances of survival.

I usually nod my head in agreement when I read Samuel's posts but I thought he was a tad harsh on Nathan Blissett. Most of Lavercombe's clearances were aimed at him and he won a lot of them. He's an awkward player to play against but having said that, Andre Wright will eventually play at a higher level than Blissett ever will. I have felt all season that we have lost games in midfield where on many occasions Courtney Richards seemed to be the only player having any effect. Last night was different. Josh Rees and Danny Racci have definitely strengthened us in midfield. Not a good night for Toby Ajala but we know what he is capable of and he will have better days. Great to see Aman Verma have a 15 minute run out after his health worry. I rate him highly. Not much has been said about Shaun Harrad. I thought he had an ineffective game. Welling were the same as they were last season - played some neat football at times but powder-puff up front. I think they and Boreham Wood are strong candidates for the drop. It remains to be seen who the other two will be ....... There will be other dour battles like last night - Kidderminster, Halifax and Altrincham coming up soon. I doubt that we will win them all but if we play as a team as we did last night, there is hope.

IF Welling do go down and we stay up, I wouldn't mind us showing an interest in their 'keeper .......
al roxzar
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: danny stevens

Post by al roxzar »

looking better coyg
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

People shouldn't underestimate Blissets value to the team, even if he did misplace a header on goal, and lose control when running a couple times.

He actually won a few headers, and better than that when the ball went into his feet with his back to goal he kept possession and allowed the midfield to come up. We haven't had that all season.

But more important than that was the fact that he is genuinely awkward to play against whether he is having a good game with the ball or not. Regularly Welling had to use two men to try to challenge him because of his size. This is massive for the team and shouldn't be underestimated in my opinion.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

tomogull wrote:Just a few random thoughts on last night's match. The 'gate' of 1300 odd was disappointing. It seems that 500 or so 'fans' have given up on the team's chances of staying up although there was the little matter of Arsenal/Barcelona on BT Sports. On the other hand, the gate was higher than Accrington's attendance and they are in the Div 2 play-offs. Also, Guiseley and Braintree only managed to pull in just over 500 each. Great support from Danny the Drum and his mates on the Pop side. I'm sure support like that will make a huge difference to our chances of survival.

I usually nod my head in agreement when I read Samuel's posts but I thought he was a tad harsh on Nathan Blissett. Most of Lavercombe's clearances were aimed at him and he won a lot of them. He's an awkward player to play against but having said that, Andre Wright will eventually play at a higher level than Blissett ever will. I have felt all season that we have lost games in midfield where on many occasions Courtney Richards seemed to be the only player having any effect. Last night was different. Josh Rees and Danny Racci have definitely strengthened us in midfield. Not a good night for Toby Ajala but we know what he is capable of and he will have better days. Great to see Aman Verma have a 15 minute run out after his health worry. I rate him highly. Not much has been said about Shaun Harrad. I thought he had an ineffective game. Welling were the same as they were last season - played some neat football at times but powder-puff up front. I think they and Boreham Wood are strong candidates for the drop. It remains to be seen who the other two will be ....... There will be other dour battles like last night - Kidderminster, Halifax and Altrincham coming up soon. I doubt that we will win them all but if we play as a team as we did last night, there is hope.

IF Welling do go down and we stay up, I wouldn't mind us showing an interest in their 'keeper .......
That could be a good shout.(Keeper)

Added in 4 minutes 7 seconds:
Kit_robin wrote:People shouldn't underestimate Blissets value to the team, even if he did misplace a header on goal, and lose control when running a couple times.

He actually won a few headers, and better than that when the ball went into his feet with his back to goal he kept possession and allowed the midfield to come up. We haven't had that all season.

But more important than that was the fact that he is genuinely awkward to play against whether he is having a good game with the ball or not. Regularly Welling had to use two men to try to challenge him because of his size. This is massive for the team and shouldn't be underestimated in my opinion.
I AGREE

Blissett did very well last night both up front and on defensive corners what he needs is confidence and I believe he could improve with this. He gave everything for the team.

Added in 1 minute 36 seconds:
Kit_robin wrote:People shouldn't underestimate Blissets value to the team, even if he did misplace a header on goal, and lose control when running a couple times.

I AGREE

Blissett did very well last night both up front and on defensive corners what he needs is confidence and I believe he could improve with this. He gave everything for the team.
yellowmonkey
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Watches from: Pop side

Post by yellowmonkey »

I thought the ref was awful and the Welling players going down to easily and acting like they had been shot was a disgrace. But well done Torquay, for the first 20 minutes thought oh well another loss but they pulled there fingers out. Iffy Allen what speed that guy has.