Boreham Wood v Torquay

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Boreham Wood v Torquay

Post by Dave »

As we enter the business end of the season, and every game for us now is going to be like a cup final, our squad travel to Meadow park for a game that takes on an all new importance for The Gulls. This is simply because Boreham Wood occupy that all important 20th position in the league table, something I'm sure many of us would pay for right now if we could.

This also has great importance from the point of view that, yes, we're 12 points behind, and yes, points in the bag tend win over games in hand, but we must note that Torquay United have played 3 games less than The Wood, so victory in this game would give The Gulls an opportunity to close the gap over the coming weeks.

Boreham Wood, are making a very good fist of their first ever season in the non-league top flight, despite losing 8 of their first 11 games, the Wood have only suffered a further 6 defeats from 21 games, Boreham Wood have picked up a notable away win at Tranmere, and completed a recent win double over the very hard to beat Braintree.

Who can forget our first meeting this season with The Wood, it was back in late September and was of course the fans re-united game with Plymouth and fans of other clubs joining us at Plainmoor, and unforgettable atmosphere that night, however a very forgettable game, as two carbon copy daisy cutter free-kicks saw The Gulls fall to a 1.2 loss, I think it was certainly the game that many Gulls fans realised this season was going to be one long and very hard struggle.

For Gulls fans attending the match

http://www.borehamwoodfootballclub.co.uk/directions/

Boreham Wood top goalscorers

Jamie Lucas 4
2 Luke Howell 3
3 Jordan Chiedozie 2
3 Scott Doe 2
3 Clovis Kamdjo 2
4 Billy Clifford 1
4 Connor Clifford 1
4 Joe Devera 1
4 Anthony Jeffrey 1
4 Charlie MacDonald 1
4 Junior Morias 1
4 Ricky Shakes 1

Current form

Boreham Wood; D-D-D-L-D-W

28 Dec Woking 0 - 0 Boreham Wood
9 Jan Boreham Wood 0 - 0 Cheltenham
23 Jan Boreham Wood 1 - 1 Eastleigh
6 Feb Boreham Wood 0 - 2 Kidderminster
13 Feb Grimsby 0 - 0 Boreham Wood
16 Feb Braintree 0 - 2 Boreham Wood

Last time out

Braintree 0 - 2 Boreham Wood

1Russell
30Stephens
4Cox
8Shakes
3Woodards
5Doe
25Jeffrey
12Lucas(Sam-Yorke) 86'minutes
33Devera
16C Clifford
9Howell

Substitutes
2Nunn
11Sam-Yorke
13White
20B Clifford
24Kamdjo

Reaction from The Wood's 0.0 with Grimsby

Speaking afterwards, Wood boss Luke Garrard said: “I am very pleased with the response we showed today. We made changes and those players that came in duly delivered.

“Joe Devera has been waiting patiently for his chance and his professionalism matched his performance today.

“Sam Cox has come back in and was outstanding running about putting out fires for us. Then there was Luke Howell who played an important role for us today and was unlucky not to score.

“I feel the balance was right today and we can go to Braintree Town on Tuesday with our tails up in our quest for survival.”

From a Torquay United point of view

Our squad go into this game off the back of a very good away win at Macclesfield in the F.A Trophy, we have to hope such a victory can galvanise the team, give them confidence to kick on, and start producing some all important league results, but a word of warning here, we saw our team produce an equally impressive home win in the last round of the Trophy versus Wrexham, only to follow it up with an abject dire performance against a very beatable Gateshead team, this can't be allowed to happen again.

The league table at this stage of the season does not tell any lies, our position is awful, our margin for error virtually zero now, we simply have to win 10 of our remaining games to have any hope, there's no room for sentiment left, ok the Trophy team won Tuesday, but we had a lot of players cup-tied who will be available Saturday.

For me combination of Butler/Ajala on the left is must, I see a few post around the forums advocating Blisset/Harrad upfront, don't get this personally, for me Wright is the only player who can hold the ball up, so I'd go for Wright/Harrad upfront. To add, what I saw of Racchi in the home game v Macclesfield he's a must in the centre, hopefully the very impressive Iffy Allen will be fit as well.

Torquay United top goalscorers

Dan Butler 2
Andre Wright 2
Toby Ajala 1
Durrell Berry 1
Nathan Blissett 1
Josh Carmichael 1
Exodus Geohaghon 1
Shaun Harrad 1
Angus MacDonald 1
Courtney Richards 1
Aman Verma 1

current from

Torquay United ; L-W-L-L-L-L

19 Dec Chester 4 - 1 Torquay Utd
26 Dec Torquay Utd 4 - 1 Forest Green
28 Dec Cheltenham 1 - 0 Torquay Utd
1 Jan Forest Green 3 - 1 Torquay Utd
23 Jan Torquay Utd 0 - 2 Gateshead
30 Jan Tranmere 2 - 1 Torquay Utd

Last time out

Tranmere 2 - 1 Torquay Utd

21Lavercombe
29Berry
5MacDonald Booked at 28mins
18Smith Booked at 69mins
24Nicholson(Chaney) 47'minutes/(Geohaghon) 87'minutes
16Richards
4Rees
14Ajala
12Harrad
17Blissett (Wright) 62'minutes
3Butler

Substitutes
1Fisher
6Geohaghon
19Chaney
23Hancox
28Wright

PLAN OF ACTION

"We stuck to our game plan with everyone involved working hard to follow it through," said player-manager, Kevin Nicholson. "I thought that we were very strong defensively and restricted our hosts to only a few opportunities.

"We stayed strong and nicked a goal from a set-piece, something that we haven't done enough.

"It was a classic away team performance with everyone making a contribution.

"A massive thank you must also go out to the fans who made the trip. They certainly played their part and I am glad we gave them something to cheer about.

"Our focus now turns to Boreham Wood and getting vital League points. We'll put the FA Trophy on the back-burner for the time being as we look to get a result at the weekend.

"The lads are raring to go for Saturday's game already. There are a couple of decisions I'll have to make when picking the team, but that's a positive position to be in.

"I want to see us build on the momentum now and string a run of results together."

Emerging youngster, Will Hancox, was handed a starting place at Moss Rose and gave a good account of himself.

"Will worked his socks off," added Nicholson. "It was fantastic for him; he has showed a good attitude to earn this chance and he did a good job for the team.

"He can be pleased with the contribution that he made to the victory."

Read more at http://www.torquayunited.com/news/artic ... xKXZzMI.99

Head to Head meetings

English National League

22.09.2015 Torquay United 1-2 Boreham Wood

Cup Results

16.11.2002 r1 Torquay United 5-0 Boreham Wood
Formerly known as forevertufc
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

Good work mate.

A win in this one would be huge.

Hopefully the new lads being cuptied last night will help us as they come in fresh.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Oh Forever - please don't list our scorers !!! Top scorers Dan Butler and Andre Wright with TWO apiece !!!! We now have plenty of midfield cover, although I'm sorry Verma is sidelined at present, and so I'm with you that Nicho should leave himself out of the line up and Butler revert to left back. I also agree that Harrad & Wright should start up front. Harrad's experience could work well with Wright. I don't think Nathan Blissett is going to add much to the squad. This is a big match but it is also a big match for Boreham Wood so they will be well up for it ...... I really wouldn't like to make a prediction on this one.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

Nope no prediction from me either. Great starter report Forever.

It must be me but when did Nathan Blissett score.?
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

I'll be there for this one. looking forward to it. I think glutton for punishment is the word
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

I've dusted off my Senior Railcard for this one. Hope the rain stays away!

COYY
TUST member 200 ;-)
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Cast your fate to the winds....
Boreham Wood (0) 0
TUFC (1) 2
Bomber
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Bomber »

tomogull wrote:Oh Forever - please don't list our scorers !!! Top scorers Dan Butler and Andre Wright with TWO apiece !!!! We now have plenty of midfield cover, although I'm sorry Verma is sidelined at present, and so I'm with you that Nicho should leave himself out of the line up and Butler revert to left back. I also agree that Harrad & Wright should start up front. Harrad's experience could work well with Wright. I don't think Nathan Blissett is going to add much to the squad. This is a big match but it is also a big match for Boreham Wood so they will be well up for it ...... I really wouldn't like to make a prediction on this one.

Wright has scored four if you include FA Trophy goals and Dan Butler has scored three on the same basis.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

2-0 Loss but at least we're in the Trophy and can pat ourselves on the back next year for a good run to the semi Finals in that when we're 2 down at Concord Rangers.
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

I wonder if we might outnumber the home support. Boreham Wood average about 300 home fans maybe less.

For me it's a must win, especially after tuesday. We have to go on a run and it has to be sooner rather than later. Won't be easy though as they won at Braintree midweek. Massive game for us.
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Boreham Wood average about 300 home fans maybe less!

Bloody hell how do these teams compete with attendances like that, must have a wealthy owner.
TUST MEMBER
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by torq2u »

Neal wrote:Boreham Wood average about 300 home fans maybe less!

Bloody hell how do these teams compete with attendances like that, must have a wealthy owner.
Location, location location. They pick up young players from the local clubs like Watford, Arsenal, Spurs, Barnet and sell them on. They employ their own players to work in their academy.

Plus, of course, the mark up on food (burgers cost £6.95, chips are £1 each ;-) )
TUST member 200 ;-)
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Yes, it was embarrassing putting up the top goalscorers list, to think that Hurst, Marsh and Fisher all left with 19 goals between them, could do with someone stepping up to the plate, otherwise we might see a name added to the board in reception with less than the 5 goals scored by Jordan Chapell a few seasons back :Oops:

Bit of laziness on my part, but I do tend to add only League records of players and teams, the information is out there for the cups, but needs a bit of searching.
Formerly known as forevertufc
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by torq2u »

In order to save face and boost confidence, I'd include all the goals they've scored in Friendlies and training :lol:
TUST member 200 ;-)
Bomber
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Bomber »

Neal wrote:Boreham Wood average about 300 home fans maybe less!

When they played a midweek home game against Lincoln earlier this season, and there were marginally more away fans there than home fans.

I think their link-up with Arsenal, which sees them host Arsenal Ladies and Under-21 matches brings in some extra revenue for them.