Boreham Wood v Torquay

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

BobBobBob wrote:Yesterday was encouraging, we took some time to get going but looked good for much of the game. I liked Harrad's smart hold up play and I disagree with that comment about Blissett's aerial ability, he won most of his aerial battles again. I counted 6 out of 9. And for one of those 9, he was blatantly pushed over in their box when the ball was up in the air. Their bloke made zero attempt to jump for the ball, it really ought to have been a penalty. Their forward Jamie Lucas won 2 headers for contrast - though that had a lot to do with how good Nathan Smith and MacDonald were. For me, our best player yesterday was Durrell Berry, who worked very hard on a horrid looking pitch, neutralised a lot of their attacks, and provided a great cross for our winner.
Which Blissett were you watching Bob3? The one I saw timed his jumps so badly, the defender behind him and 6" lower than him always got the ball. Or the ball hit his shoulder. I counted 2 out 12, including the all important one. I agree he took some stick and was shoved over at least once. Nathan Smith was excellent - he DID win his aerial battles. I just worry about the amount of shirt-pulling / "cuddling" he does, esp in the penalty area. Berry and Butler did well to keep the reins on Jeffrey - will need to do the same with Daniel on Tuesday.
TUST member 200 ;-)
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Some of those that play in the trophy are playing because we don't have enough eligible players.
It works for me, as it gives some of those fringe players game time, and experience, in case we do suddenly need them due to injuries etc.

It also helps to build momentum and string together wins, and therefore builds confidence up.

It's a win- win for the club. Much needed money, the potential to get to Wembley, the chance to build confidence and momentum. If we lose, we move on to the league survival.

I agree that league survival is the MOST important, but equally, let's embrace the fact that our team is fighting on two fronts, that all of our players are getting game time, and that our season isn't over when so many thought it would be already.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

Agree with what you say Scott.

The downside has got to be, not those extra trophy matches, but the extra league matches that need to be shoe-horned into such a tight schedule. There's little recovery time for our best XI.
TUST member 200 ;-)
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

Time has come to do the right thing where the trophy is concerned. Play geohagen, gerring, hancox, chaney, Nicholson, verma if he's fit (will need a game). I would have said play fisher in goal, too, but it appears he's a giant tool.

If we lose because it's our weakest possible eleven - so be it. If we win, at least we've rested the maximum amount of players possible.
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP

Post by taxilady »

Scotty Corderoy could go in goal though...that guy has lost a shed-load of weight recently. Can't deny his commitment to the cause, though I don't know what his ability is....
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Scott Brehaut wrote:Some of those that play in the trophy are playing because we don't have enough eligible players.
It works for me, as it gives some of those fringe players game time, and experience, in case we do suddenly need them due to injuries etc.

It also helps to build momentum and string together wins, and therefore builds confidence up.

It's a win- win for the club. Much needed money, the potential to get to Wembley, the chance to build confidence and momentum. If we lose, we move on to the league survival.

I agree that league survival is the MOST important, but equally, let's embrace the fact that our team is fighting on two fronts, that all of our players are getting game time, and that our season isn't over when so many thought it would be already.

Not sure how it's a win-win? We were without 2 important players for a game that actually matters yesterday because they had to be run into the ground in the Trophy games.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Win Win is exactly what happened ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Jerry wrote:

Not sure how it's a win-win? We were without 2 important players for a game that actually matters yesterday because they had to be run into the ground in the Trophy games.

The talk of the trophy destroying our season is bizarre, it's keeping our squad match fit at the moment and providing the only source off income. Yes, the league is paramount in important, but without the trophy run the club will be struggling to pay the wages. The weather has been awful, I fear the welling match could also be called off with the current forecast.
Lucy
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

brucie wrote:Bob - you are not being realistic. If we win next week then we will have to postpone another two games to play in the Trophy. Both teams have the option to waive the right to a replay so lets hope that this can be agreed between the two clubs.

Its not just the re arranged games. We are inevitably going to get further postponements because of the state of our pitch. I would suggest that there is probably less than a fifty per cent chance of Tuesdays game going ahead.

If it does though there is the very real chance that we could win again. We would then be going to Macclesfield next week with a real chance - we have beaten and drawn with them with a quarter of a team out so nothing really to fear.

We have then a load of home games left against rank bog average useless teams. Do you realistically expect us to stay up playing four games a week ie playing on a Thursday as well - because that is what will happen.
Why don't they rent one of those huge roller, sponge, blotter things that they use to remove surface water in County Cricket I doubt if they are used at cricket grounds in the closed season.
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

It didn't rain much yesterday in Torquay,and there was a drying wind-heavy drizzle today which is expected to clear later this afternoon.Crucially,tomorrow is expected to be dry,with sunny periods,so time for the pitch to dry out after today's rain.
MF68
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by MF68 »

They are called Supersoppers and can be bought for about £500
eastmoorgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Stubbs

Post by eastmoorgull »

At long last we go into a game with the team showing that it can play with confidence and boss a game 98% of the time without conceding at silly times. I hope though they have worked on corners in training since as the majority were wasted on Saturday ; either over hit or without anyone anticipating the ball going straight through the area. At last we have a CF who can head and score so essential those set plays are not wasted - Blissett isnt perfect but he showed passion and his reaction on scoring said it all - in dire contrast to others who have played up front this season and tbh didn't seem to care what happened. One last word about our supurb support; staggered to see the ratio of away to home supporters - I expected to see their crowd filter in quickly around 2.55 from the club and pubs but all I saw was yellow shirts scarves piling in to the stand out of the rain. Nice to chat to Mr MacDonald too - that's what we Dad's do!
lexusguy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Branston

Post by lexusguy »

Anybody know why Wright didn't feature in the Boreham Wood game ?
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

He was injured in the Trophy game.

Added in 3 seconds:
He was injured in the Trophy game.