Macclesfield Matchday Topic 16/02 (a)

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Staffsgull1
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Staffsgull1 »

I saw the game fairly similar to Burnhamgull although didn't quite see Nico roasted as much as he did, I thought both sides were poor at getting behind the other teams defence. We had a solid enough shape, Angus and Nathan were excellent and I was impressed with Danny Racchi, he gives himself time on the ball and can pick a pass.

Creatively, as I expected before the game with that line-up, we offered very little and Will Hancox, as hard as he tried, couldn't get in the game. When Marsh had chances to run at defenders he did look dangerous, especially when there were gaps late in the game. One of the things that has constantly frustrated me this year is our poor delivery from set pieces, and generally it was poor again tonight - finally when Racchi hit the ball in with a bit of venom we scored,

So a slightly strange night with only 1 stand open and an odd atmosphere, the 2nd strange game I've had there with that Stockport FA cup replay a few years back. Macclesfield were pretty terrible, and other than a spell at the end of the 1st half / beginning of the 2nd where we rode our luck we weren't threatened that much.

The biggest relief of the night though was the we didnt have Extra Time. It was freezing.
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP

Post by taxilady »

Staffsgull1, do you mean that Andre Wright looked dangerous ?
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
Staffsgull1
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Staffsgull1 »

Well yes, when he got the ball with space and was able to run at people. In the first half in particular he didn't see much of it and was feeding off scraps.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Quarter-final ties to be played Saturday 27 February. We should have a good number of Gulls fans at Nyewood Lane to cheer the lads on against Bognor Regis, just across the border into Dorset.
oldpedant
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by oldpedant »

Gullscorer wrote:Quarter-final ties to be played Saturday 27 February. We should have a good number of Gulls fans at Nyewood Lane to cheer the lads on against Bognor Regis, just across the border into Dorset.
As well informed as ever!

Bognor Regis is in Sussex; you're probably confusing it with Lyme Regis which is in Dorset.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

oldpedant wrote: As well informed as ever!

Bognor Regis is in Sussex; you're probably confusing it with Lyme Regis which is in Dorset.
You're so pedantic..!! :~D
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

I know we have a lot of the squad unavailable for trophy games but the defence are all able to play, so the clean sheet is a huge positive in my eyes.

We now have to win on Saturday, a defeat would leave us 15 points from safety (16 with the GD) which seems an unbridgeable gap (even with games in hand). A win and a 9 point deficit looks achievable (although maybe still a long shot).

Added in 12 minutes 27 seconds:
And congratulations to young Will Hancox on making his first start. :-D
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

I think in isolation, the team should take a great deal of credit for last night's result. Ok so overall during the course of the season they barely deserve the admittedly paltry amounts they are paid but for last night at least it does show a bit of character.

First of all it was a long trip to a pretty meaningless evening game at a cold Macclesfield, on an evening where the CL is on the telly and about to play a game that a lot of Torquay fans actually slated the team for having to play in the first place by having the audacity to get an equaliser in the first tie!

Having to play that game last night in front of about 6 fans and also knowing that other clubs could (and did) put further distance between them and safety and then to find the motivation to compete must have been very difficult.

It shows in isolation that all is not lost.

If Boreham Wood win or maybe grab a draw on Saturday then all IS lost once and for all. Halifax went on a mini run which has fizzled out as did Kidderminster but a bad result on Saturday and what's needed is a Southport-esque run and that is asking for pretty much a miracle.

The Macc game needs to be the stepping stone otherwise come 5pm Saturday it's all over. As Jerry says, no win on Saturday and only the clinically insane would cling onto any hopes of the greatest of great escapes.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

Good post Andy. Depending on other results I am not convinced a draw would make life impossible. Others will get dragged in - its not just Boreham W. Personally I would love it if Barrow had a really bad run- still think Cox left us in the lurch.
Sesimbra
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Sam Collins

Post by Sesimbra »

I agree with Andy's last paragraph. It does seem to me that Nicholson is more motivated at the chance of appearing at Wembley again than saving the Club from relegation. The Club's existence in the league is far more important then the FA Trophy with its minimal rewards. Concentration on the league should have been the No.1 priority without distraction.
I fear it is now too late.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Yorkieandy wrote: Having to play that game last night in front of about 6 fans and also knowing that other clubs could (and did) put further distance between them and safety and then to find the motivation to compete must have been very difficult.
You're right. There was a larger crowd at the Truro v Hemel Hempstead match last night than there was at bleak Macclesfield. And Truro are back in the National South play offs by the way ...........
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

Tully and Carlisle are doing a really good job there.