Torquay V Chester - Now Tue 5th April

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Boreham Wood losing is good news for us I think. They are 4th bottom and now require 3 wins from 4 games to reach 50 points, which means the total required to stay up could be less than 50 points (Unless Altrincham get 10+ from their 5 games).

We are already on 44 points and have 5 games left. Beat Altrincham next Tuesday and unless Boreham Wood win on Saturday we could be oh so close to survival... Let's not get ahead of ourselves, but tonight's results could not have gone any better.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

That was not easy to watch, we appeared to be very nervy after a dream start (of course I missed the damned goal after having to wait for the late-comers). Chester huffed and puffed without any end product while we kept giving away the ball or over complicating things.

The arrival of Harrad stemmed the second half barrage and he did very well holding up the ball with good distribution. He it was who set Iffy on his run for that second goal.

Ref was poor by the way but the linesman who waved Iffy on his run for that second, I would have kissed him if I'd been near enough as 99 times out of 100 the flag would have gone up but not tonight.

This was another ugly win but do I care now?

P.s. The programme was the original printed for the postponed match. The league table had us rock bottom at the time!
Last edited by gateman49 on 05 Apr 2016, 22:06, edited 1 time in total.
IanGull01
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tim Sills

Post by IanGull01 »

Get in!
What a result and performance! The lads were outstanding. Fight, determination and spirit!!

I've not seen the fans go as nuts as we did when that second goal went in. Absolutely brilliant, what an atmosphere!

Escape is well and truly on. Roll on Saturday.

Chester looked lively up front but what a dirty side. They targeted MacDonald at the end after the whistle but he duly smiled and walked past keeping his cool. He was a rock again!!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

How we played is completely irrelevant. That is a fantastic win which ever way you swing it. Lets not forget we had a few injuries and didn't have Wright either so 2-0 is a mega bonus.

Credit to Nicholson - he freshened it up with one or two players, played an attacking line up which worked.

Is this the result that ultimately will keep us up? - I think it might be.
DJ Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by DJ Gull »

A good game! Solid at the back, some cool finishing at the front. And the lads really out in a shift to make it difficult for chester.
Feeling bloody marvellous at present!!
To the dotted line, We're on our way
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

Disagree that it was an ugly win, w were better than Chester in every department. It was nervy in the scone half because we failed to capitalise and get the scone goal until late on.

Moore only had to make one save if I remember rightly, a very routine one from a low shot straight at him. They did sink the bar from a free kick in the first half, but it always looked high and Moore had it covered. Other than that it was just a few crosses and half-dangerous positions they got into, but a combination of them being poor and good defending meant they never got a good shot away.

We on the other hand forced four half decent saves from the goalkeeper, as well as a couple shots just wide. We also had crosses flashing across the goalmouth as well. I think a neutral without the emotion would probably have seen that as a relatively comfortable Torquay win.

I would stick with the same line up on sat if everyone is fit, but ajala and Allen HAVE to realise they have defensive duties in a 4-2-3-1 and can't leave us short every time. You would expect tranmere to be able to exploit those holes more than Chester, although they've had the odd dodgy result themselves.

Anyway, well done Torquay; a good performance, a good win... 2 more to go!
Dockers Pal
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Chris Hargreaves

Post by Dockers Pal »

24 points from 12 games - fantastic. Got to keep going towards 50 points.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I agree with brucie.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Been banging on for weeks now about getting some natural attacking width in the side, we start to day with Allen and Ajala, almost from the first real attack Allen turns his man Torquay get a corner from his cross, and score from the resulting corner, seriously about time, and thought the team looked so, so much better for having those out lets on the field.

Do take the point about the wingers tracking back, however think we're being a tad harsh on Allen, who I counted on at least 6 occasions did track right back to our area, and in the first half sprinted back and got a very important defensive block in.

That was such vital win, and boy could you hear and feel the relief when Allen converted when put clean through, even the O.A.P's on the popside went a bit wild when the ball hit the back of the net.

Surprised Verma hasn't got more credit, thought he had an excellent game at right back, and certainly looks a better full back than central midfielder, Iffy Allen was a thorn in Chester's side all night long, must admit I do like the look of young Chaney as well, bit of experience and TUFC could be on to a very good player there. So many candidates for my top 5 motm votes.

Well done Nicho and all the team, a very good night indeed.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

Allen did run back, my problem is that it was often after the fact. I.e. He was the furthest man forward, their left back runs ahead of him, when he has a five yard head start on him he suddenly starts running. If he paid more attention he could gently jog back into position and negate the attacks in the first place, and expend a lot less energy as he wouldn't have to go on lung busting sprints. Same goes for ajala.

But we're splitting hairs. In general he did well and he's in the side as an attacker. But if he wants to get into the league, say, he will have to learn to do this stuff.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Good performance and the midfield did well Racchi and Rees did well and Chaney showed class.

Chaney could progress to a higher standard when he is a bit stronger, pleased he's been given a chance as he's good enough.
Bert
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: nico

Post by Bert »

Seems Wright has been recalled by his parent club.We are a touch short in striking options now.Lets hope that Bliss keeps fit
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

We outplayed Chester with a committed display from every member of the team.

Moore barely had a real shot to save whereas we had 16 shots several giving their keeper real problems.

Plainmoor was rocking and to take 24 points from the last 36 is fantastic.2 wins from our last 5 games will be good enough for sure.

I thought Harrad was excellent when he came on and set up the goal for Iffy to finish off Chester.
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Kernowgull »

That was really good I thought. I took a mate from work who is a Geordie and he was really impressed with both the quality and the atmosphere. When the second went in, it went nuts. Was a bit nervy until we got the second but anything other than a win would have been a travesty. I thought everyone played at least decent, although Ajala wasted so much possession, but it was really solid most of the time with some lovely football at times, and the squad are so together. Delighted I went.

The Chester fans were abysmal, why would you travel all that way to not sing one song?

Great work Nicho!!
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

wright played for w WBA under 21 team the night before as they were short on strikers so he was rested. as far as im aware he will be back for the tranmere game.