Torquay V Chester - Now Tue 5th April

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Charley the Gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Courtney Richards

Post by Charley the Gull »

Still buzzing from last night's win. An all-round good team effort with plenty of commitment. Great to see Nathan back in defence and agree with the comment about Verma doing a good job on the right side so it looks like we are back to a pretty solid defence. Once again Gus shone as the 'rock' at the back and didn't respond to their roughing up tactics even at the end. In fact Chester were the biggest whingers I have seen all season as they kept having a go at the ref. This time there seemed to be a lot more distribution of the ball and some great long passes which made use of two wide players. Also they were trying a lot more shots and low crosses into the box which caused panic in their defence - keep it up lads! Midfield is also looking better and Racchi had a great game but the comments about Iffy and Toby tracking back are valid, especially Toby who needs to be quicker in reading the game, but that's a minor thought after a thoroughly deserved win. MOTM - well for me it's got to be Nicho who had the team fired up and set up just right for a critical match with good use of the subs.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I an glad to note that 'the O.A.P's on the pop side went a bit wild last night.' But then.....we always did!
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Mahoosive brilliant win, 3 points doesn't sound a big lead but at this stage of the season and with regards to teams at the bottom(i.e. they dont' win often!) it is a big lead and a big confidence boost to the whole club. Anything from Tranmere is a bonus and then a massive game with Altrincham, 3 points+ from those 2 and I think we're nigh on safe.

Whatever happens Nicholson deserves immense credit for even getting us close because I didn't give us a prayer when we dropped to the foot a month or so ago.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

There's no reason why we shouldn't beat Tranmere Saturday. We have 24 points from our last 12 games; practically promotion form. In fact, it's better form than Tranmere's last 12 games. We need fear no-one now. The only possible concern, with so many games being played, is the fitness of players.
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

Agree with all the positive comments about the performance-my one gripe would be us not taking advantage of the "dodgy keeper",he spilled the ball at least three times,twice on the ground and once in the air.After the first time we should have been alert to his weakness and had players following in from shots outside the box;had we done so the match could have been safe long before the last minute.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

royalgull wrote:
Whatever happens Nicholson deserves immense credit for even getting us close because I didn't give us a prayer when we dropped to the foot a month or so ago.

Tee hee :)
royalgull wrote:Love this progression being made stuff and it's 3 straight league defeats and 1 win in 12. Don't care about the trophy we won't win it and it matters precisely zero for our season.

But still at least progress is being made, at this progressive rate we should be relegated by late Feb/early March.
royalgull wrote:RIP TUFC

Nothing much else to say utterly humiliation and thrashed by a half decent team but nothing more but some million miles better than us

We played like the way the club is being run, unprofessional out of our depth with no heart no skill or fight. 1600 bothered and i am not going again ever. That's it i don't want to be associated with this mess the kindest thing to do is let it go under. There will be no happy ending

Nothing has been achieved yet of course but it's nice to see you back in a positive frame of mind ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

Do think some people need to have a little look at themselves if we stay up, the doom mongers were incessant!

So quick to wave the white flag it was unbelievable!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

To be fair to Royalgull he always talks a lot of sense and is usually on the money but I think emotion got the better of him ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

Southampton Gull wrote:To be fair to Royalgull he always talks a lot of sense and is usually on the money but I think emotion got the better of him ;-)
that is correct, the same cant be said for drivelgull etc
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Gullscorer wrote:There's no reason why we shouldn't beat Tranmere Saturday. We have 24 points from our last 12 games; practically promotion form. In fact, it's better form than Tranmere's last 12 games. We need fear no-one now. The only possible concern, with so many games being played, is the fitness of players.
I would hope adrenaline out weighs fitness at this crucial stage of the season. Let's face it we are not the only team playing sat/Tuesday at the moment in the relegation fight
Lucy
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

lucy6lucy wrote: I would hope adrenaline out weighs fitness at this crucial stage of the season. Let's face it we are not the only team playing sat/Tuesday at the moment in the relegation fight
I certainly wouldn't say anyone looked particularly knackered last night, everyone was running as hard in the last minute as the first.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Nico has always been big on fitness. We might find that we are actually in a favorable position compared to others thanks to his work
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Any highlights yet?
Lucy
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Kernowgull wrote: I certainly wouldn't say anyone looked particularly knackered last night, everyone was running as hard in the last minute as the first.
Agreed, but I was thinking more about the worrying possibility of niggling injuries. We probably don't have the strength in depth as a squad that many other clubs have.