Tranmere Rovers v Torquay United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

BobBobBob wrote:

Okay three-bob - both you and Dannyrv were at the match yesterday and well done to both of you, and the others who made the long trip to Merseyside. The support for the team came across loud and clear on the Radio Devon commentary. I only listened to the last half an hour or so of the commentary and these are three of the comments I recall from Dave Thomas and his co-presenter (I'm not sure who it was) -

1. Some of the players are not on the same wavelength. They don't look as if they've even trained together.
2. So many passes have gone astray. There have been more passes to white shirts than yellow shirts (presumably, Tranmere were playing in white)
3. Harrad's goal was our ONLY shot/header on target.

Now, which should I believe? Your 'positives' or the experienced radio commentators who you could tell were wringing their hands in despair?
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP

Post by taxilady »

go for Radio Devon in this instance Tommo; we did actually have another shot, but it wasn't on target. You'd have missed that one,because it was in the first half, & nothing to get excited about unfortunately.
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
BobBobBob
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Courtney Richards

Post by BobBobBob »

tomogull wrote:
Okay three-bob - both you and Dannyrv were at the match yesterday and well done to both of you, and the others who made the long trip to Merseyside. The support for the team came across loud and clear on the Radio Devon commentary. I only listened to the last half an hour or so of the commentary and these are three of the comments I recall from Dave Thomas and his co-presenter (I'm not sure who it was) -

1. Some of the players are not on the same wavelength. They don't look as if they've even trained together.
2. So many passes have gone astray. There have been more passes to white shirts than yellow shirts (presumably, Tranmere were playing in white)
3. Harrad's goal was our ONLY shot/header on target.

Now, which should I believe? Your 'positives' or the experienced radio commentators who you could tell were wringing their hands in despair?
All three of those statements are accurate; they don't contradict anything I wrote though. You can believe all my positives and the words of the commentators at the same time. I wasn't saying there weren't negatives! There were loads of those, people have them mostly covered already. Here's a few more: We seriously lacked cohesion, tactically we looked too narrow in midfield and yet the two strikers up front were often too far apart from each other. We looked particularly poor in the first half. I'm pretty sure Harrad's goal was the only shot on target, but you could be generous and say MacDonald had a header very late on which technically was on target. I think someone (maybe Rees, maybe Chaney) blasted a shot miles over and Dan Butler hit a free kick just outside the area about seven yards wide and five yards over. But I would point out that Tranmere switched to ultra-defensive mode for pretty much all of the second half, moving the dangerous Gary Taylor-Fletcher into an unthreatening left wing role, and holding a rigid 4-5-1 shape. A neutral would be quite bored by the game as a spectacle.
EmetEdadsBeard
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Andy Gurney

Post by EmetEdadsBeard »

I went, along with ZippyGull, my mate Randall and Zippys ladyfriend Wendy. I should have taken my sons boots. I wouldn't have looked out of place playing up front. I would have won more in the air and on the ground.

I'm 56 with dodgy knees and a bad back.
I'm also a realist. The club is f**ked at the moment.
There is no silver lining, a couple of the defenders (keeper, the beardy left back and one of the centre backs) are the only players worth keeping.
The forwards are less than poor.

Automatic promotion will not happen with this squad.
Bloody hell it seems like a lifetime since we watched Gibbs and Gurney tearing down the flanks, Rodney Jack, Tony Bedeau, Alex Watson, Gittins et al.

That is all I've got to say (apart from the pub next to the ground and the Tranny fans were very nice).
:-/
'Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with their experience!
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

EmetEdadsBeard wrote:I went, along with ZippyGull, my mate Randall and Zippys ladyfriend Wendy. I should have taken my sons boots. I wouldn't have looked out of place playing up front. I would have won more in the air and on the ground.

I'm 56 with dodgy knees and a bad back.
I'm also a realist. The club is f**ked at the moment.
There is no silver lining, a couple of the defenders (keeper, the beardy left back and one of the centre backs) are the only players worth keeping.
The forwards are less than poor.

Automatic promotion will not happen with this squad.
Bloody hell it seems like a lifetime since we watched Gibbs and Gurney tearing down the flanks, Rodney Jack, Tony Bedeau, Alex Watson, Gittins et al.

That is all I've got to say (apart from the pub next to the ground and the Tranny fans were very nice).
:-/
WTF? I presume you have gassed yourself writing that post. Keeper is moving Wigan, if you didn't know. automatic promotion.. Really. Bizarre post.
Lucy
Gullible
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Dan Butler

Post by Gullible »

KN is primarily to blame for the players and their performances. KN cannot manage or motivate, and his actions with Chaney yesterday only compound his shortcomings. All sad but true. And even more sadly, the people who are trying to save this club are also the ones destroying it, through their blind faith in KN and his decisions.
Guildford Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by Guildford Gull »

Gullible wrote:KN is primarily to blame for the players and their performances. KN cannot manage or motivate, and his actions with Chaney yesterday only compound his shortcomings. All sad but true. And even more sadly, the people who are trying to save this club are also the ones destroying it, through their blind faith in KN and his decisions.

Excellent post.
EmetEdadsBeard
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by EmetEdadsBeard »

lucy6lucy wrote: WTF? I presume you have gassed yourself writing that post. Keeper is moving Wigan, if you didn't know. automatic promotion.. Really. Bizarre post.
Not sure what you mean lucy. My point was they are the only 3 players who are Conference or better standard, irrespective of where they'll end up. The club is on a massive downward spiral at the moment and the current squad aren't a lot better than a Sunday league side. Not sure if you were there yesterday but i was and it wasn't good viewing.
'Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with their experience!
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

EmetEdadsBeard wrote: Not sure what you mean lucy. My point was they are the only 3 players who are Conference or better standard, irrespective of where they'll end up. The club is on a massive downward spiral at the moment and the current squad aren't a lot better than a Sunday league side. Not sure if you were there yesterday but i was and it wasn't good viewing.
Regrettably I was there. And I agree it was not good. infact it was awful and proved to me we are Conf south bound.
Lucy
EmetEdadsBeard
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by EmetEdadsBeard »

lucy6lucy wrote: Regrettably I was there. And I agree it was not good. infact it was awful and proved to me we are Conf south bound.
The automatic promotion I was writing about was next season back into the Conference as relegation this season is surely a cert?
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

1/9 with Sky Bet.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Sam Chaney has lot of potential what the hell is this club doing. DISAPPOINTED IN THE CLUB
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

arcadia wrote:Sam Chaney has lot of potential what the hell is this club doing. DISAPPOINTED IN THE CLUB
Because the manager would rather have somebody on the pitch whose main attribute is he can throw a football better than he can kick it as opposed to someone who, according to the Radio Devon commentary, 'was trying to make things happen'. :'( :'( Like you, I think young Sam should have been given far more game time than he has been.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

There is/was nothing wrong in the decision to bring on big-Ex for the last period of the game. The decision to take off Chaney in my view was appalling, never sub off a substitute unless your hand is forced by a sending off, or the sub is having a stinker.

The radio commentators were suggesting Richards was having a stinker and Chaney had made a positive impact on the game, hopefully we haven't left another player feeling to down beat and humiliated.
Formerly known as forevertufc
davidcaldwell123
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Marl Loram

Post by davidcaldwell123 »

1st Goal
1st Goal
2nd Goal
2nd Goal