Tranmere Rovers v Torquay United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

best to stay off facebook and twitter as its a load of shit, people post stuff thats nobody really wants to know and KN should know better, best not to respond to mindless morons who have nothing better to do with their time, saying that kevin should never been appointed as manager in the first place, nice guy who was a very good player for us for 7 years, but should have stayed with bath city. and yes i feel we are destined for the drop, 10 pointa adrift, MIRACLE NEEDED. :'(
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Wouldn't it be great if Kev pulled off the biggest miracle ever, kept us up, and then tagged all those cretins on Facebook with a big "**** you" post.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

Agree to both the above, Kev needs to get himself off that group or just block it!

At the moment I dont see that point in giving up, throwing toys out the pram!

Until mathematically impossible, I won't give up.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

I'm not giving up until we are definitely down.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
ScouseGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: MarkLoram

Post by ScouseGull »

First half we were abysmal. Their keeper could have sat it out as we failed to get anywhere near him. Blissett and Harrad were unsurprisingly not on the same wavelength as each other or the midfield but individually I thought they were seriously disappointing. Speaking of which, Rees and Richards had absolute stinkers, constantly giving the ball away. Butler was way below his best and Ajala ineffective. Angus was spared a red card after a needless challenge due to Nathan just managing to get himself between the felled forward and Lavercombe. Their goal seemed to come from nowhere -they had also been playing like hot garbage up to this point- a loose ball outside our box, it looked like we either hesitated or misjudged the bounce but their lad didn't, he belted it and it flew in. Sadly, I thought that this spelled game over, insert coin, as I absolutely could not picture us ever scoring.

Second half was slightly better. Chaney was decent -why it was he and not CR who was chosen to be replaced by Ex I do not know, Kevin be trippin' with that decision. Sam was not impressed,he ripped his shirt off and lashed it at the bench!- and along with the improved Ajala, put himself about creating some decent moves which unfortunately still did not result in their keeper having a reason to wash his gloves. They had a few half decent chances and then eventually scored what looked like an easily preventable second, we cheaply gave it away, lost a couple of 50/50s I think -I'd started to zone out by now- and erm, Berry? then DL were beaten. We went route one, Harrad managed to just get to a cross before the keeper and nod one back -total shocker!- so we continued to hump it in via Ex's mega chucks and Butler's hoofs as they defended deeper and deeper. It didn't work.

The linesman near us was a major pussy and the ref was a bit of a homer but nevertheless, we were totally disjointed and mostly played as though we'd never even trained together before. A very sad scene.

Mad props to each and every one of the hardcore yellow army who once again travelled the distance.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

My God that was bad. The worst first half of the season, we got the ball into the box once in 45 minutes. We seemed to have more energy going forward with Wright and Chaney in the second period, but what a terrible decision to take off the sub. Yes, bring on Ex for the dying moments, but take off Richards who was absolutely abysmal! A few of the comments regards to Nicho are harsh, yes he makes poor tactical decisions, but that's only because of his inexperience and what he's working with is nothing short of a load of rubbish. We're relegated, no question. We'll have to start a rebuilding process that starts in the bottom half of the Conference South next season.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
midtable
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Brian Wilson

Post by midtable »

Management rule 1 is never take off the substitute unless you want to humiliate him. Sadly, it has all gone wrong.
BobBobBob
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Courtney Richards

Post by BobBobBob »

Finding some positives:

- Our support never stopped singing, if we can keep this level of support, we can survive relegation

- With a defence of Butler, Smith, MacDonald and Berry, we looked mobile and very tough to break down

- The decision to get Exodus on was inspired and you could feel the collective wincing of every Tranmere fan for each of our long throws in injury time. Although I do agree that taking off Chaney was ill-advised from a player standpoint, it was most logical to take off the shortest forward player

- I would say Tranmere looked better than most of the sides we've lost to this season and we limited them to one exceptional goal and one counter attack goal

- We scored!

- Nathan Blissett won a very high percentage of headers against some particularly robust central defenders

- Shaun Harrad looked like a smooth operator, making decent runs and moving said defenders out of position
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

BobBobBob wrote:Nathan Blissett won a very high percentage of headers against some particularly robust central defenders.

What game did you watch yesterday?
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

BobBobBob wrote:Finding some positives:

- Our support never stopped singing, if we can keep this level of support, we can survive relegation

- With a defence of Butler, Smith, MacDonald and Berry, we looked mobile and very tough to break down

- The decision to get Exodus on was inspired and you could feel the collective wincing of every Tranmere fan for each of our long throws in injury time. Although I do agree that taking off Chaney was ill-advised from a player standpoint, it was most logical to take off the shortest forward player

- I would say Tranmere looked better than most of the sides we've lost to this season and we limited them to one exceptional goal and one counter attack goal

- We scored!

- Nathan Blissett won a very high percentage of headers against some particularly robust central defenders

- Shaun Harrad looked like a smooth operator, making decent runs and moving said defenders out of position
Our support never stop singing, but we have still dropped from one win away from Auto promotion to League One to hopelessly adrift in National League in 3 and a half seasons. Means nothing.

Bringing on Exodus is not inspired, its an obvious move anybody would make when one goal down with a few minutes left. It didn't work either. Inspired means you change something, and it works. Not you change something, a young lads confidence gets shattered, and some long throws get headed away.

Berry, McDonald, Smith and Butler we so hard to break down, we still lost.

No positives!
BobBobBob
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Courtney Richards

Post by BobBobBob »

dannyrvtufc4life wrote:
What game did you watch yesterday?

Perhaps the ball didn't go anywhere useful, but Blissett absolutely did win a very high percentage of headers. Or do you dispute the robust comment? I've never seen a more robust defender than McNulty... Jesus.
Kernowgull wrote:Our support never stop singing, but we have still dropped from one win away from Auto promotion to League One to hopelessly adrift in National League in 3 and a half seasons. Means nothing.

Bringing on Exodus is not inspired, its an obvious move anybody would make when one goal down with a few minutes left. It didn't work either. Inspired means you change something, and it works. Not you change something, a young lads confidence gets shattered, and some long throws get headed away.

Berry, McDonald, Smith and Butler we so hard to break down, we still lost.

No positives!
Regarding support, I meant that the football club can continue to exist if relegated. I'm not suggesting we'll win the Conference South with "every little thing's gonna be all right" chants.

Maybe inspired isn't quite the right word, but in the sense that it changed the Tranmere fans complete silence to desperate whistling for the match to end. It was smart rather than stupid. Besides, I don't believe Chaney's confidence was shattered at all. He looked angry, that's what we want, some fight and some passion. These events don't exist in a vacuum, I'm sure Nicholson can explain the decision to him over the week.

We lost this game but the point is we're going to play teams less effective than Tranmere from here on out, so that defence gives some hope of better results in the near future. I stand by it as a positive.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

You are insane.
davidcaldwell123
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Marl Loram

Post by davidcaldwell123 »

Kevin was appointment the manager and he is the only one that can get us out of this, he still seems quite positive and only time will tell?

Added in 5 minutes 24 seconds:
On Sam, in Kevin's defence I have subbed a sub twice for good reasons, albeit we were winning on both occasions and it was not to upset the system and pattern, basically wasting time and seeing the game out, sub on, then off another on in the same position/

Burnhamgull wrote:I feel for Sam Chaney tonight. After waiting ages for a chance, he finally comes on then gets hauled off again. That will destroy the kids confidence and he'll probably be advised to run for the hills when his contract is up.

The match thread has an all too familiar ring to it. It starts with blind optimism and predictions of three goal victories then after 15:00 things go quiet until the first opposition goal and then all optimism starts to drain away and finally the end result confirms yet another defeat.

Nicholson is so out of his depth but there is no point changing the manager. The fact is, he should never have been given the role to start with. Yet again, the club hoped that a former player would bring us success and yet again, the club has failed.

There are still several deluded people on here talking of possible escapes. Forget it. This season is done and, at best, the club will start next season in the National South league. At worst, it will close down.
Last edited by davidcaldwell123 on 31 Jan 2016, 16:05, edited 1 time in total.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

If a neutral were to look at this club in its current plight there are no positives on the playing side.
There might be some if somebody out there wanted to take over a football club with potential; maybe somebody connected with Port Vale?
eddyh
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by eddyh »

Let's hope so. The club needs new hope and a new owner with a track record of running a club would provide that. It has to happen soon though as once fans get used to not attending it's hard to win them back. We will get all the usual nonsense about asset stripping and being scared of the unknown but to be honest there are no assets anymore and it's hard to imagine that it could get any worse. Life in the National South may as well be death to most people as they wont be watching it unless there is a genuine chance of getting out of it extremely quickly