Torquay United v Southend United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Torquay United v Southend United

Post by ferrarilover »

**** sake, second time lucky, got an hour into doing this then **** ing deleted it all by hitting backspace!

So, once again, here we go...

Plainmoor
Saturday 19th February 2011
KO: 3:00pm

Following three league wins on the spin against teams at the wrong end of the league, we welcome Southend United FC to our place on Saturday with the Shrimpers below us by only a single place. There was no news from Bucks at today s press conference regarding the squad and with Nicholson having recovered from his illness, the manager once again has the luxury of some difficult selections. My feeling is that he will restore Nicholson to the starting line-up, since Southend will inevitably pose a greater goal threat than any of the last three teams we have played. The big question mark hangs over the head of goalkeeper Danny Potter. My feeling is that, with the state of the pitch, Bucks will stick with the more reliable kicker.
The ground staff will have to pull another blinder to keep the pitch in any sort of playable condition for this match, but if no significant amount of rain falls between now and the match, it should certainly be playable.
For those who wish to get the thoughts of the visiting fans, go to:

http://www.shrimperzone.com/vb/forumdis ... -Chit-Chat

Last 5 seasons

2005/06 – League One – 1st Place – 82 pts – Promoted as Champions
2006/07 Championship – 22nd Place – 42 pts – Relegated to League One
2007/08 – League One – 6th Place – 76 pts – Lost in playoffs
2008/09 – League One – 8th Place – 71 pts
2009/10 – League One – 23rd Place – 43 pts – Relegated to League Two

As we can see, Southend can t really decide how good they are. A brief flirtation with the Championship was a step too far, despite their having available to them the services of Freddie Eastwood. Both he and Jamal Campbell-Ryce were sold in the summer of 2007 for a reported £1.8m. This money allowed then manager Steve Tilson to strengthen the squad sufficiently to push his team to the League One playoffs, where they held Doncaster Rovers to a goalless draw in the first leg, before being roundly thrashed 5-1 in the second leg. The following season saw a very creditable 8th placed finish but then the wheels came off. Off field rumblings manifested themselves in a 2010 half of the 2009/10 season which produced just a single solitary win for Southend. They were relegated and the maverick chairman Ron Martin (who had been the source of a great deal of the consternation (not strictly the correct word, but common usage will permit it) which caused the relegation) placed on gardening leave Steve Tilson, bringing to an end his topsy-turvy seven year reign as manager. He was duly replaced by Paul Sturrock, who is the incumbent to this day.

Head to Head

Torquay wins -25 (2 in FA Cup)

Draws – 23 (2 in FA Cup)

Southend wins – 31 (4 in FA Cup)

As we can see, the history between these clubs is long and even. This suggests that we have always been fairly evenly matched, both in terms of division and on a match day.
Our very first encounter with SUFC was way back on September 24th 1927 when they beat us 1-0 at their place with a second half goal. I was there and I haven t forgiven them since! Our first recorded victory over the Shrimpers was at Plainmoor on May 4th 1929 then TUFC won by the odd goal in three, all scored in the second half. Other notable matches between these two sides include a match from Monday September 8th 1929 when TUFC lost 6-3 at Roots Hall (if indeed it was that ground then). Avenging this was the match of Saturday 10th September 1932 which saw us beat them 8-1 at home.
Most recently of course, we recorded our first non-win this season at their place when they beat us 2-1. I didn t go, but I do recall them scoring two belters before the break, then seeing us come out and take them to pieces second half, but fall just short of earning a deserved point.

Form (last 6 games)

Away – D L W W W W

Collated – D W W W L W

That is one mighty impressive road record (as a caricatured Texan might say). Like us, Southend are on a hot streak, although they haven t kept a clean sheet in three matches. It has been 20 games since they last recorded a no score draw, so whatever William Hill are offering, it s not enough.
A very creditable 3-2 defeat of high flying (over achieving?) Wycombe Wanderers on Tuesday night showed their resilience. WWFC looked to have salvaged a point when former Gull Scotty Rendell slotted home a spot kick right on the stroke of 90 minutes, but unperturbed, Southend duly went straight up the other end and stuck in the winner. Among other note worthy results this season, they have beaten Oxford United 2-1 from a goal down. Rotherham away 2-1 and at home 1-0, with managers son and another former yellow, Blair Sturrock scoring the decisive goal in both matches. Also held Wolves 1-1 away in the Carling Cup until the third minute of injury time in the second half of extra time (where do you get 3 added mins from a 15 minute half of extra time?)

Probable line up

This is the team which beat WWFC on Tuesday night

• 24 Evans
• 02 Clohessy
• 03 Gilbert
• 15 Phillips
• 23 Barker
• 07 Grant
• 08 Easton
• 12 Hall (Sawyer 90+3)
• 31 Ferdinand
• 10 Corr (Crawford 76)
• 21 Sturrock

Players to watch.

Top scorer Corr has just 10 league goals this season, but Southend s attacking strength is in its depth. Seven players, including Corr, have registered more than one league goal this term. This includes former Oxford player Jack Midson. We all know about the hold up play of which Blair Sturrock is capable.

Prediction.

My hope is for a minimum of 7 from the next 9 points available. I think, despite their relatively similar league positions and the fact that this match is at home, the two points will be dropped on Saturday against Southend, rather than on Tuesday away to Cheltenham. On that basis, I m going to say a thoroughly entertaining 1-1, with the condition of the pitch never truly allowing either team to shine their brightest, but a decent performance none the less.

Nick, I hope this comes somewhere near meeting with your approval.

Matt.

N.B - As mentioned on another thread, we are due to have Sian Massey officiating this one, so it's an excellent chance for the lads to bring down any ironing they may have left over, she can crack on with that while brushing up on the laws of the game. :devil:
Last edited by ferrarilover on 18 Feb 2011, 14:38, edited 1 time in total.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Wisconsin_gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mr Chappell

Post by Wisconsin_gull »

Matt - nice work my man :clap: :~D
Thought it was the work of the master and had to look twice.
Fascinating fixture, will be very close, everything points to 1-1, but I hope we sneak it 3-1
Kee,Nico,Stanley
COYY :engflag:
At the kerb halt - look right - look left -look right again - if all clear quick march!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Just spotted glaring (and slightly hilarious) error, will correct later.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Good stuff Matt.

Just remember, if you do that again, hit Ctrl Z and it will undo your mistake in hitting backspace :-D
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

Am going down for this one, really hoping we can continue our good run. :)

Think it will be a close game, Southend have quietly moved their way up nearer the play-offs, whilst we are once again on a winning run and playing with such confidence.

My heart says draw, my head says win. 2-0, Kee and Robinson.

Crowd: Hopefully around the 2,500 mark, but will probably be nearer 2,000. :-/
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Definitely keep the same team - we've hit a good little run of form and we're scoring goals whilst keeping clean sheets. It would be crazy to change things now, and we'll have players like Ellis, Gilligan and Stevens fresh for the fixture pile-up later in the season.

Three wins on the spin and a Saturday game should get the crowd over 2000 - hopefully a lot over. The players deserve more support than they're getting (numbers wise).

Southend have 4 away wins in a row, so they'll be looking for a win too. It could turn out to be an excellent, open game.

COYY!
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

I won the Npower tickets for this match so i'm definitely coming, I hope the rain holds off because otherwise it's gonna lessen the impact of Robinson especially when attacking towards the family stand.

Heart says 2-0 win with two early goals but my head says 1-1 draw with a nail-biting finish.

A win before cheltenham away would be brilliant time for us to notch some points, secure safety and then hunt down those at the top of the table.
COYY.
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

I'm expecting at least a point from this, but I'm not feeling overly confident.
We're both in good form with the play-offs as a possibility but their off-field problems could be a distraction for them and apparently they have an injury worry or two, all in our favour.
So possibly 1-1 or 2-1, preferably the latter.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

ferrarilover wrote:N.B - As mentioned on another thread, we are due to have Sian Massey officiating this one, so it's an excellent chance for the lads to bring down any ironing they may have left over, she can crack on with that while brushing up on the laws of the game. :devil:
Don't know if I have missed this and apologies if I have but is this her first league game as a referee? I know she has been a linesman before in the league and a referee in non league but has she officiated in league football?

Good on her and best of luck to her - I hope the few 'idiots' we have keep their ignorant and inept thoughts to themselves!

EDIT - just read a thread on this which I missed. She is down as a linesperson (assistant ref) and not the referee. My bad.

Matt - be clearer in what you are saying! :whistle:
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
gulls_aloud
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Mark Ellis

Post by gulls_aloud »

Ferrari, perhaps it could be an interesting new feature, if Nick approves, for there to be a deliberate mistake in the match day thread OP that is only corrected after the match - a kind of Spot The Error game which would also keep any opposition coaches reading it on their toes...

Thanks for all the background - I think this is the one where we might slip up, but I also think the goals will keep on coming, so 2-2 and a well deserved point would do me.
ChineseGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by ChineseGull »

Decent write up Matt. I'd expect nothing less from a man who's been supporting Torquay for over 80 years!

I'm predicting 2-1 to us. Southend to score 1st, Robinson and Zebs to give us the win.
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lorz

Post by Fletch »

Richinns wrote: Don't know if I have missed this and apologies if I have but is this her first league game as a referee? I know she has been a linesman before in the league and a referee in non league but has she officiated in league football?

Good on her and best of luck to her - I hope the few 'idiots' we have keep their ignorant and inept thoughts to themselves!

EDIT - just read a thread on this which I missed. She is down as a linesperson (assistant ref) and not the referee. My bad.

Matt - be clearer in what you are saying! :whistle:
Both the referee and assistant refs are "officiating" at the match. Seems clear enough to me :na:

I will however bring a couple of shirts and a travel iron so heres hoping :red: :red:
Last edited by Fletch on 18 Feb 2011, 13:30, edited 1 time in total.
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

I posted this on another thread but hey ho....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 401549.stm
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Awayday wrote:I posted this on another thread but hey ho....

Alright!!! - I missed it - I have already admitted to that!!! - don't get a blob on about!!!! =D
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lorz

Post by Fletch »

Awayday wrote:I posted this on another thread but hey ho....

Not a pretty picture but not as bad as the Gargs I would guess :-/