Torquay United v Southend United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I received this from a Southend supporter, to retain his privacy I'll call him just Martin D

"Just wanted to put a message on the board as a visitor. I am a southend supporter and felt very welcomed inside and outside the ground, was great to talk to your supporters and thanks for there kindness and consideration"
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

What a dull, dull encounter that was.

Best thing about yesterday was 2800 fans. I thought my 2300 prediction was way too optimistic!
yellow
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by yellow »

A poor game I thought. Not much entertainment on display for a much improved crowd.

Those that listened on the radio seem to have got a better impression of the game than I saw. I can t remember us carrying much of a goal threat or having any creativity in midfield.

Plus points were the Pickler and Zebs who seems to always put in a shift. The distribution from Potter was also much better than we are used to.

On the downside I thought that LR-T didn t look the business, and Danny Stevens was his usual ineffectual self apart from a late surging run that required a smart stop from their keeper.
"A day without football is a day lost" (Ernst Happel)
"Look at the (Plainmoor) stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, Yeah they were all yellow" (C. Martin)
Bearne1
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Zebra

Post by Bearne1 »

Trojan 67 wrote:Branston again was in inspired form
Would agree to an extent but what the hell is on with his passing? Everytime he seems to just hoof the ball upfield aimlessly so we are on the backfoot time and time again. Even to the groans of the fans he just does not seem to acknowledge this and do something about it.

Nothing against him or his defending as he is a genuine guy (he randomly sat with a few of my ex-colleagues in the Cider Bar!) but it is a tad frustrating part of his game that no-one seems to mention. Perhaps I am being harsh!

The game in my opinion was always going to be a draw, I had a strong feeling before the game it would be.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Thats his game, Bearne. I've only ever seen Branno pass the ball out of defence on a couple of occasions, against Crewe in the first half being one. He always tends to hoof, which is a shame really, as without a tall striker, it's incredibly ineffective.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Yes thats Guy Branston,his passing generaly is woefull,thats why he is a league 2 defender,he is organised and a good leader,if he could pass,would he be playing for Torquay or in league 2 for that matter.
Formerly known as forevertufc
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

As long as he gets the ball safely away from our sodding goal I'm a happy chapette.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

HRG wrote:As long as he gets the ball safely away from our sodding goal I'm a happy chapette.
Hmmm, see what you are saying and, to an extent, with Pickles, that's all one really need ask, but if we adopt this attitude every match day for 90 minutes, we will surely lose every match, for it must be impossible to play this way for game after game.

What often annoys me is when Nico (for example) has the ball, looks upfield and sees nothing, so, under increasing pressure, he slides the ball inside to Pickles who then proceeds to take a touch and whack it aimlessly up field. Now Guy, come on, if that was the best thing to do, Nico would have done it himself, just calm down, take a half second to think and pick an actual pass rather than simply giving away possession.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

I do agree, but I can forgive him for lumping it when he's solid and scary at the back doing what he does best. I guess I'm easily pleased.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

HRG wrote:I do agree, but I can forgive him for lumping it when he's solid and scary at the back doing what he does best. I guess I'm easily pleased.
i dont think any of us could possibly comment HRG........:Oops: =D
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

crazyfool
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Derek 'The Dude'

Post by crazyfool »

I might just be me, but it looked like one of the Southend players motioned/said something to Branston as he ran past him to celebrate the goal. This is based on me watching the Football League Show pretty late at night. I wouldn't be surprised if Branston had been giving it to him all game and he was just giving it back.
ReadinGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Nicholson

Post by ReadinGull »

hmm, I think I saw that too crazy.

I think that if we have one guy (literally in this case) who launches it rather than plays it out, we'll be fine, okay it's wasted, but it is at least another 70 yards from being in our net. If we had an entire back 4 doing the same thing, it's curtains. Guy isn't exactly blessed with pace, so is probably aware and doubtless previously fell foul of a mis-control and being unable to atone for the error. I think those saying don't hoof it would have even more to say if he was losing the ball two or three times a match...
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: i dont think any of us could possibly comment HRG........:Oops: =D
Bloomin' men! You'll make anything sound dodgy :no: =D