Torquay v Gateshead

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

[quote="tomogull
This team should not be in the position we find ourselves. I have tried to watch matches in an unbiased way since before Christmas and in the last half a dozen games or so, we have deserved to pick up more points than we have. A lack of experienced players may be a contributory factor, I don't know. I find myself agreeing with Jack once again - Angus is playing okay, but he is not imposing himself as a captain. Courtney Richards should be given the armband.[/quote]

:goodpost:

Totally agree!

Added in 2 hours 19 minutes 28 seconds:
"As to the comment about the ref and their first goal, I must differ in opinion. Yes, it was our throw in and yes, he was wrong (one of the few mistakes he made in my humble opinion). But the first goal wasn't his fault.
"

I don't agree! If that throw in was given to us, as it should have been the whole game would have changed. Cause and effect, we could have lost 5-0 or won 5-0. Nothing that happened after that decision would have been the same. It was a very bad decision as it was so blatant
TUST MEMBER
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Gullscorer wrote:We can't expect to win every game.. :)
Winning some would be nice.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I hope no one minds me sharing this on the site, and I'm doing so as I knew a few across the forums personally, and I want to.

An hour after the game Saturday my father sadly died, it was not unexpected as he had cancer and had been ill for some time. He was taken into hospital in December and a couple of weeks ago we brought him home as it became clear nothing more could be done, and it was his wish to see out his final days at home, we were told Friday morning he had entered into his final few hours.

I did go to the game Saturday, because I know that's what my Dad would have said to do, however I went knowing if the call came I would leave straight away regardless and go home, my parents lived in Spain most of the year, but after my Dad became ill they came and spent most of their time living with us during his treatment times, my dad had a wicked sense of humour and often when I returned home from the match, he would come with gallows humour regards all things TUFC, I left straight after the match Saturday and went and sat with him, 15 minutes later he died peacefully, must admit to having giggle over this Saturday night, it seemed as if couldn't resist having one last laugh with me over my football teams efforts in trying to win a football match, and I said to him, yes Dad, of course you know they lost again.

Anyway thanks for reading but enough of that.

On to the match, and yet more frustration, looking at FGR home, Cheltenham away these were much improved performances, and couple with the Trophy win over Wrexham, I went and really thought the green shoots of recovery were sprouting, but alas, no, the team reverted to type, yes we saw plenty of effort, spirit and endeavour, but that doesn't win you football match's although it helps.

There has be a decent level of quality, decision making and consistency in your play, and that was missing again. ok we play the national league premier division and there's a reason why these players play at this level, but we can't excuse the lack of just getting the simple and basics right.

I've picked out a few instances; Ok the match officials may have made a mistake and given the throw incorrectly to Gateshead leading to their first goal, get over it, that happens, there was plenty of time for our team to get it's defensive shape and defend from the resulting throw in, but we don't, no surprise here, the ball comes into the box, free header conceded, but our get out of prison card free was stamped as for once Berry pulled a fantastic goal line clearance , I remember saying to a friend, lets hope there's a lesson learned, nope, from the resulting corner no one goes with Bowman until till to late, this time the free header is planted straight into the back of our net, we've seen this far to often.

This leads me onto to my next gripe, the team did pretty well to fight their way back into the match, they created 3 very good chances, but we saw our team with 3 clear sights on goal, but no one seems either capable or willing to shoot, you could hear the groans and screams and shouts from the crowd ' for fork sake shoot' they cried, you can't score unless you do.

Talking about decision making, there are many I could list, but one stood out for me in this match. Can't remember the player, but in the second half we were attacking the Gateshead area, had an attacking overload, and it was a straight choice pass left to the player marked or right to the unmarked and yes you guessed it we went left, and how the voices in crowd screamed, why didn't he pass to the right.

Composure, 3 times in the second half, we had the ball out wide left, with the time and space to deliver a good ball in to the box, and all 3 over hit and out for goal kick, again, yes, I get it, national league, but come on, a cross the ball into the right area completion rate of 0% wouldn't cut it in the park leagues.

One final gripe, twice in the second half, Ajala so often criticised for having no end product, played two balls into the ball that were right on the money, perfect, across the 6 yard box, out swinging. Where was the no 9 having gamble ?

It's not the weather, bad luck, referees, or the pitch's, once again Saturday as so often this season we were the architects of our own downfall. Suggestions that Gateshead were not that good a side, are pretty fair, they weren't that good at all, but the sad thing is they didn't have to be, we made it all to easy for them, just look at their second goal, not a few minutes after a carbon copy attack should resulted in a second goal for Gateshead.

We have to improve massively and consistently virtually overnight, as this will only end one way for us.
Formerly known as forevertufc
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Sorry and sad to read about your father - and you're spot on with your observations about the match.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Sorry to read about your loss, Forevertufc.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Really sorry about your old man Dave. I've been through it myself, my dad was 54 when he died of cancer and I was in my early 20's. It's really sad but does get easier to accept over time. Anyway. Condolencies again Dave.
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP

Post by taxilady »

Echo the above thoughts about your Dad, Forever; glad you were able to be there for his passing : it makes a huge difference. Thanks for your post about the match as well; pretty much sums it all up.
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
davidcaldwell123
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Marl Loram

Post by davidcaldwell123 »

Dave,
Sorry to hear of your loss, I hope you and the family are well during this difficult time.
Dave C
forevertufc wrote:I hope no one minds me sharing this on the site, and I'm doing so as I knew a few across the forums personally, and I want to.

An hour after the game Saturday my father sadly died, it was not unexpected as he had cancer and had been ill for some time. He was taken into hospital in December and a couple of weeks ago we brought him home as it became clear nothing more could be done, and it was his wish to see out his final days at home, we were told Friday morning he had entered into his final few hours.

I did go to the game Saturday, because I know that's what my Dad would have said to do, however I went knowing if the call came I would leave straight away regardless and go home, my parents lived in Spain most of the year, but after my Dad became ill they came and spent most of their time living with us during his treatment times, my dad had a wicked sense of humour and often when I returned home from the match, he would come with gallows humour regards all things TUFC, I left straight after the match Saturday and went and sat with him, 15 minutes later he died peacefully, must admit to having giggle over this Saturday night, it seemed as if couldn't resist having one last laugh with me over my football teams efforts in trying to win a football match, and I said to him, yes Dad, of course you know they lost again.

Anyway thanks for reading but enough of that.

On to the match, and yet more frustration, looking at FGR home, Cheltenham away these were much improved performances, and couple with the Trophy win over Wrexham, I went and really thought the green shoots of recovery were sprouting, but alas, no, the team reverted to type, yes we saw plenty of effort, spirit and endeavour, but that doesn't win you football match's although it helps.

There has be a decent level of quality, decision making and consistency in your play, and that was missing again. ok we play the national league premier division and there's a reason why these players play at this level, but we can't excuse the lack of just getting the simple and basics right.

I've picked out a few instances; Ok the match officials may have made a mistake and given the throw incorrectly to Gateshead leading to their first goal, get over it, that happens, there was plenty of time for our team to get it's defensive shape and defend from the resulting throw in, but we don't, no surprise here, the ball comes into the box, free header conceded, but our get out of prison card free was stamped as for once Berry pulled a fantastic goal line clearance , I remember saying to a friend, lets hope there's a lesson learned, nope, from the resulting corner no one goes with Bowman until till to late, this time the free header is planted straight into the back of our net, we've seen this far to often.

This leads me onto to my next gripe, the team did pretty well to fight their way back into the match, they created 3 very good chances, but we saw our team with 3 clear sights on goal, but no one seems either capable or willing to shoot, you could hear the groans and screams and shouts from the crowd ' for fork sake shoot' they cried, you can't score unless you do.

Talking about decision making, there are many I could list, but one stood out for me in this match. Can't remember the player, but in the second half we were attacking the Gateshead area, had an attacking overload, and it was a straight choice pass left to the player marked or right to the unmarked and yes you guessed it we went left, and how the voices in crowd screamed, why didn't he pass to the right.

Composure, 3 times in the second half, we had the ball out wide left, with the time and space to deliver a good ball in to the box, and all 3 over hit and out for goal kick, again, yes, I get it, national league, but come on, a cross the ball into the right area completion rate of 0% wouldn't cut it in the park leagues.

One final gripe, twice in the second half, Ajala so often criticised for having no end product, played two balls into the ball that were right on the money, perfect, across the 6 yard box, out swinging. Where was the no 9 having gamble ?

It's not the weather, bad luck, referees, or the pitch's, once again Saturday as so often this season we were the architects of our own downfall. Suggestions that Gateshead were not that good a side, are pretty fair, they weren't that good at all, but the sad thing is they didn't have to be, we made it all to easy for them, just look at their second goal, not a few minutes after a carbon copy attack should resulted in a second goal for Gateshead.

We have to improve massively and consistently virtually overnight, as this will only end one way for us.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Thanks guys, means a lot. Been a very difficult and busy few days, but as family we've sorted all the arrangements and legal stuff inside 3 days which my Dad an Ex career soldier would be very proud of, just down to supporting my Mum now, and waiting for the funeral day to come around.
Formerly known as forevertufc