Torquay v Gateshead

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

We looked comfortable but, I felt our selection should have had Exodus in midfield and it would have helped stop the first goal which was the important one. It goes to show you should not get rid of your top scorer he may have wanted to go but a strong manager would have kept him as we are sadly lacking a player of his class his goals are worth the money he might have got.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

I agree Cox is supposedly blameless in the eyes of many. He deserves his share of blame. Bowman will blow hot and cold but we would be 10 points better off had he been told to see out his contract.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

taxilady wrote:as depressing as it all is : Brucie's only been to two games this season, which is one of the reasons that he hasn't seen us win !! Wins are amazing, I haven't seen very many either, & I go to nearly all the games !That's why I'm off on the Sheps & Riley Funbus next week, to watch us play at Tranmere...ever hopeful. It's actually not mathematically over yet (though it could be soon.....)
Good to hear the big yellow funbus is still motoring up and down the country driven by the crazies. :bow: :lol:
BayGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jools Holland

Post by BayGull »

Orange Gull wrote: Commentators have just announced it as 1,721. Pretty good all things considered.
Official website also says 721!

Venue: Launa Windows Stadium
Attendance: 721
Referee: Chris Powell

http://www.torquayunited.com/fixtures-r ... ri=2525709
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

BayGull wrote: Official website also says 721!

Venue: Launa Windows Stadium
Attendance: 721
Referee: Chris Powell

http://www.torquayunited.com/fixtures-r ... ri=2525709

Maybe they were for casting next seasons average gate?
TUST MEMBER No. 166

JOHNSON HAD A DREAM
TO BUILD FOOTBALL TEAM
HE HAD NO JOB SO HE CAME TO THE GULLS
WITH CAMERON AT THE BACK
AND REIDY IN ATTACK
WE'RE TORQUAY UNITED
WE'RE ON OUR WAY BACK !!
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

There were 1700 or so there as was announced on the tannoy and that was clear to see so let's not go on about how many were there.

As to the comment about the ref and their first goal, I must differ in opinion. Yes, it was our throw in and yes, he was wrong (one of the few mistakes he made in my humble opinion). But the first goal wasn't his fault.

Yes, in the next passage of play Durrell did very well to stop a goal by heading over the bar a point blank header from one of their unmarked players with Dan L well beaten. One might have assumed that our players would have been snapped into action by that but no, from the resultant corner another free header was allowed and Durrell couldn't do the same thing twice.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

It was dismal.

The odd bit of good football but I don't really remember their keeper making any saves.

Nicholson spoke on the radio, about Gateshead having good players and an EXPERIENCED MANAGER. Now why didn't we think of that?

As for which Phillips is at fault? They both are.

Dave Phillips chairs a board that thought appointing someone with zero managerial experience was a good idea, and that persisting with him, when he only wins every four months, was an even better idea.

The team yesterday looked rudderless and seriously lacking in leadership. Nicho is a nice bloke and one day may make a decent manager but he is currently out of his depth, sadly.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

God are we all feeling gloomy. Average gate of 700 on here for next season if we get relegated. Other site are saying 1000. Both ridiculously low imo. When we win a few games it will start touching 2000 again.
davidcaldwell123
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Marl Loram

Post by davidcaldwell123 »

Prior to the penalty at Forest Green there were 3 occasions where we could have used best practice defending to eliminate the penalty situation, I watched the FG match 4 times and replayed many elements of the game to analyse everything closer, many of the goals could have been eliminated by not exposing our self while in possession, we looked one dimensional and failed to turn and get in behind defenders. Opposition defensive tactics can include surrendering possession so you remain compact in the areas where you are in control, having good possession can be down to the opposition allowing you this, triggers are in place to close down at the right time and teams do this collectively, at this point they counter attack and you are at a disadvantage as you have committed players forward.

Gateshead came with a game plan, were organised in defensive and executed the plan, changed their system and seen the game out, we should have come with a game plan to counteract this, with 13 corners I would have expected a few different set pieces to take advantage of the pressure, if players are just static in the box, its easy to defend against, mixing up corners with variation and imagination will yield goals.

We seem to be able to compete, where we many be weak is we are tactically failing to take advantage of our strengths, which is a common thing in the game.

gateman49 wrote:There were 1700 or so there as was announced on the tannoy and that was clear to see so let's not go on about how many were there.

As to the comment about the ref and their first goal, I must differ in opinion. Yes, it was our throw in and yes, he was wrong (one of the few mistakes he made in my humble opinion). But the first goal wasn't his fault.

Yes, in the next passage of play Durrell did very well to stop a goal by heading over the bar a point blank header from one of their unmarked players with Dan L well beaten. One might have assumed that our players would have been snapped into action by that but no, from the resultant corner another free header was allowed and Durrell couldn't do the same thing twice.
Added in 23 minutes 33 seconds:
I think you make decisions with everyone's best interests at heart, hindsight is a great thing and you will always learn from experience, I personally think where Kevin is failing at this early stage of his managerial career, he is not willing to accept help as he sees it as a weakness, ultimately you are right Kevin is a nice bloke and I have been very supportive of him, but he needs to surround his self with knowledge and experience.

I was with a well known very experienced football manager last week and he commented on advice "take all advice and evaluate it in your mind, act on the advice if its worthwhile, or leave till another day or situation to call upon, never say NO to advice, as when the person offering the advice has a "golden nugget" of advice for you, he wont bother telling you it"
hector wrote:It was dismal.

The odd bit of good football but I don't really remember their keeper making any saves.

Nicholson spoke on the radio, about Gateshead having good players and an EXPERIENCED MANAGER. Now why didn't we think of that?

As for which Phillips is at fault? They both are.

Dave Phillips chairs a board that thought appointing someone with zero managerial experience was a good idea, and that persisting with him, when he only wins every four months, was an even better idea.

The team yesterday looked rudderless and seriously lacking in leadership. Nicho is a nice bloke and one day may make a decent manager but he is currently out of his depth, sadly.
6667GULL
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'KANE

Post by 6667GULL »

We were the better team before and after the first goal.
The second killed us we didn't have a clue after that.
If you don't shoot you don't score. Did we actually have a shot? Did their goalie have to make a save?
Blissett and Harrard will not keep us up.
2 midfield players please.
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

Let's not ignore that the state of the pitch was the same for both teams and Gateshead beat us.

As Dave Caldwell says - Gateshead came with a game plan, were organised in defensive and executed the plan, changed their system and seen the game out

We did not show much of a game plan and were often exposed in defence - many times Nicholson was too far up the pitch without the legs to get back quickly enough.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

gateman49 wrote:There were 1700 or so there as was announced on the tannoy and that was clear to see so let's not go on about how many were there.

Several reasonable post-match posts. I agree with Brucie that we played okay and you can't knock the workrate of the players. Gateman is right - the ref isn't responsible for poor defending of corners. Twice. They were two very well taken corners whereas none of our 13 corners came anywhere near those two. Apart from Angus, we lack height when defending corners although Verma and Wright should be there defending. Toby Ajala worked his socks off and at times had three players marking him. We didn't get any breaks and just weren't sharp enough in front of goal. It's difficult to pinpoint why we lost. I don't understand replacing two strikers with two other strikers when you're 2 - 0 down. Okay, bring on Harrad and Blissett but I think Wright should have been left on and we should have really gone for it. We are now 8 points adrift. It's hard to see how we can pull back that difference.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Gateshead have a GD of -4 and they're in 9th place.
Boring Wood have a GD of -6 and they're in 20th.

Add this to their "performance" yesterday and you don't have to wonder whether they might just be a bit spoony, rather than a typical example of the division this year.

Southport were bollocksed. They were doomed. They were, until they won 6 straight games and now they're fine. This squad is capable of doing the same. It's not over just yet. The answers are in the building, as someone once said.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
davidcaldwell123
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Marl Loram

Post by davidcaldwell123 »

Elvis has left the building ! lol
ferrarilover wrote:Gateshead have a GD of -4 and they're in 9th place.
Boring Wood have a GD of -6 and they're in 20th.

Add this to their "performance" yesterday and you don't have to wonder whether they might just be a bit spoony, rather than a typical example of the division this year.

Southport were bollocksed. They were doomed. They were, until they won 6 straight games and now they're fine. This squad is capable of doing the same. It's not over just yet. The answers are in the building, as someone once said.

Matt.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

ferrarilover wrote: Southport were bollocksed. They were doomed. They were, until they won 6 straight games and now they're fine. This squad is capable of doing the same. It's not over just yet. The answers are in the building, as someone once said. Matt.
This team should not be in the position we find ourselves. I have tried to watch matches in an unbiased way since before Christmas and in the last half a dozen games or so, we have deserved to pick up more points than we have. A lack of experienced players may be a contributory factor, I don't know. I find myself agreeing with Jack once again - Angus is playing okay, but he is not imposing himself as a captain. Courtney Richards should be given the armband.