Torquay v Wrexham

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Torquay v Wrexham

Post by Dazza »

This is likely to be on next weekend because it's supposed to be colder and drier for a few days. However, and I'm serious here, will we able to name a team? I have been happy to support the new regime ( I have been convinced they are doing their best) but I am now totally perplexed by the exiting of what seem to be (slightly) better players one after another. Presumably with the blessing of the manager.

I just don't understand the game we are currently playing. Remember Nicholson and presumably Verma and Ajala will be cup tied next week. Has the situation with Smith been sorted yet? It's no good the Board naming an admission price if we don't have a meaningful 11 to put out. We don't seem capable of convincing anyone above South Devon League level to join it seems.

We have just apparently lost out on a potential signing to Sligo. I have followed the team for approaching 60 years and I have never ever been so frustrated. We seem to have no real plan whatsoever. My support will not end and I realise only too well we are on a financial tightrope but we seem to me to be currently toppling from any sense of football sanity. Can someone, somewhere please reassure me? I know we will probably be relegated again but that's life- if so we need to do so with dignity and convince people we will return as soon as we can. Someone at Plainmoor needs to get a grip on all of this. Right now fans need convincing of the thinking behind all of this.
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

1 game at a time please!

Overwhelming in negativity!
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

I would be delighted if you prove to be right Rob.!
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Dazza wrote:

Remember Nicholson and presumably Verma and Ajala will be cup tied next week.
Nicholson isn't cup-tied, you are thinking of the FA Cup.

Nicholson and Verma both played for us against Chesham.

Ajala played for Dover in the last round so yes he will be unavailable.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

We'll have a team, and a good one! And, with vastly reduced admission prices, I shall expect nothing less than a 5500 crowd..!! The Great Escape is on, and we can make it a double by winning the FA Trophy too. :scarf: :scarf:
kenno
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Steve Woods

Post by kenno »

A shame tonight's match is off because I think we would have beaten Welling and set us up quite nicely for Saturday. After the encouraging performances over the festive period , we need to replicate that against Wrexham and hopefully win the match which in turn will mean a much needed cash boost. Let's be positive - a new year and perhaps a new start ? Come on the gulls !
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Wrexham will name Heslop in their side. Simon-****-couldn't-hit-the-target-from-6-yards-Heslop. Losing to any side featuring that useless **** would be worse than the Basingstoke debacle.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
tufc si
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by tufc si »

ferrarilover wrote:Wrexham will name Heslop in their side. Simon-****-couldn't-hit-the-target-from-6-yards-Heslop. Losing to any side featuring that useless **** would be worse than the Basingstoke debacle.

Matt.
Matt, I guarantee though without fail, he will score against us....
midtable
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Brian Wilson

Post by midtable »

Heslop is cup tied and cannot play for Wrexham. He played for us in the replay against Chesham United.
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

kenno wrote:A shame tonight's match is off because I think we would have beaten Welling and set us up quite nicely for Saturday. After the encouraging performances over the festive period , we need to replicate that against Wrexham and hopefully win the match which in turn will mean a much needed cash boost. Let's be positive - a new year and perhaps a new start ? Come on the gulls !
I agree. I think we stood a chance against Welling with the impetus of new arrivals + a more settled feel to the squad (loanees are staying till the bitter end!). It would also have given the side a chance to get to know each other a bit.

Without certain players, we are a weakened side vs Wrexham, and more vulnerable to another hard match and a defeat, which would negate the small momentum we have generated over Christmas. HOw much will that damage morale, I wonder?
TUST member 200 ;-)
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Without certain players, we are a weakened side vs Wrexham, and more vulnerable to another hard match and a defeat, which would negate the small momentum we have generated over Christmas. HOw much will that damage morale, I wonder?[/quote]

Obviously, I would like to see a win on Saturday and yes, a victory would give us a much needed cash boost and give the team a welcome morale boost. Now, here comes the 'but' ! Our main priority this season has to be National League survival. We already have a backlog of two matches to be re-arranged and if we do have a run in the F.A. Trophy, there will be more matches to fit in with a relatively small squad. Players commonly pick up niggling injuries and if they're playing two matches a week, they don't get chance to get over those injuries. So there are pluses and minuses of a Cup run.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

:sleep:
midtable wrote:Heslop is cup tied and cannot play for Wrexham. He played for us in the replay against Chesham United.
Probably a good thing. Si is definitely on the money.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
tufc si
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by tufc si »

ferrarilover wrote::sleep: Probably a good thing. Si is definitely on the money.

Matt.
Seems to be a trait of ours that we let ex-players score against us, so this is very good news?

Is Richards back or still serving his suspension? Not sure if it's just the one game you miss for two yellows?...
Eirik
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Eifion Williams
Watches from: The sofa

Post by Eirik »

tufc si wrote:
Is Richards back or still serving his suspension? Not sure if it's just the one game you miss for two yellows?...
It usually is only one game suspension and I can't see that Richards did anything to deserve additional games.
-Eirik-
Proud member of Torquay United Supporters Norway
https://www.facebook.com/groups/norwaygulls

TUST MEMBER - https://www.tust.co.uk/
davidcaldwell123
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Marl Loram

Post by davidcaldwell123 »

I would not worry too much on this cup match, we are better out of it unless the finances on staying say otherwise?