Torquay v Wrexham

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

I thought we played quite well today on a very heavy pitch. Wright and Marsh looked decent together up front and towards the end, it would have been nice to bring another forward on as Andre was ooking done in. Fortunately, once the league games resume, we'll have Blissett and Harrad to play with as options.

Nathan Smith is a rock in defence and for me he's POTY at this point in time. Nicholson had a good game although I wasn;t sure he was MOTM.

The only thing lacking today was some support from the midfield whenever Marsh or Wright had the ball. There was too much of a gap between the two lines.

A distant light got a little bit brighter today though for me and perhaps the end of tunnel is not as far away as we fear.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
Magpiegull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Magpiegull »

MF68. Winners in each round receive: 2nd round £6000 - 3rd round £7000 - 4th round £8000 - Semi-Final £16000. In the final, losers £25000 and winners £50000
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

Burnhamgull wrote: 42

Added in 1 minute 46 seconds: It wasn't THAT cold, I've know far worse.

Anyone else remember Brighton at home on New Years Day a few years ago when Brighton were fighting to stay in the league? How times c hange.
Was that a Garry Nelson last minute winner? More than a few years ago, I would say 17 or so years ago!! But yeah, if that's the game you're thinking of, weather was atrocious!!
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

my oldest son is 31 now and he was around 12 at the time, its was so cold he was crying and then nelson scored and the tears turned to tears of joy, it was the coldest match id ever been too. rodney jack had tracky bottoms unders his sorts and socks.

Added in 2 minutes 4 seconds:
and it was a trophy match, crowds are always low.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

Kernowgull wrote: Was that a Garry Nelson last minute winner? More than a few years ago, I would say 17 or so years ago!! But yeah, if that's the game you're thinking of, weather was atrocious!!

The earth is over 4 billion years old, 17 years is nothing ;-)
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
MF68
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by MF68 »

Gullscorer - I clearly remember that as the coldest day ive ever watched football followed by away to Southend when Eiffion scored and the pitch was getting whiter by the minute.

I remember a game v Fulham in about 1977 I think when their keeper, Peter Mellor got a blanket bought to him at the open Babbacombe End.
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

Glostergull wrote:Wow we won. i can't say wrexham put out a weakened side. i reckon they thought they would win this. maybe they dint quite take it as seriously and we did. maybe we wanted to win this more than they did. but hey i don't care. we get the prize money and we get another game with a possible new pot of prize money. will help make up for a paltry crowd of only 1364. how many of them were Wrexham fans.?
It's the FA Trophy, we're lucky we got that,the only tournament that's less valued by the fans was the old pointless Setanta Shield. If we get to the quarters or semis you might see a more average crowd. Either way good win although I would have switched it for beating Wrexham in the league, we seem to play ok when we're on a heavy pitch, seems to be a leveller. Is it too much to ask that we get enough rain to keep our pitch constantly heavy but no more matches being called off? :)
WESTWARDGULL
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by WESTWARDGULL »

When is draw for next round
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

Burnhamgull wrote:

The earth is over 4 billion years old, 17 years is nothing ;-)
But TUFC has only been around 117 years, 17 is 14% of their history, quite significant!! Ha, only messing, I remember Watford away in FA Cup replay was horrendously cold, and had stones thrown at us by Watford yobs on the way home to compound the misery of the cold and extra time defeat!!
Swanny
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Swanny »

Well done to the Gulls today. It was a hard working and solid performance in an even match of few chances from either side. But substitute Murombedzi scored the vital goal on 79 minutes and that was enough to get the Gulls through to the next round. The crowd 1,361 with 35 from Wrexham was not bad under the circumstances.

The first half Big-Ex played just in front of the back 4. He got some good ripples of applause whenever he beat an opponent as he looks such an imposing figure in midfield all 6'5" of him and not to be messed with! Marsh set up Wright in the first half for a chance but there was not much of a cutting edge from either team and the game had 0-0 written all over it. There was plenty of effort and some good movement at times but in the main the game was a dull affair. Still at least we were solid, organised, had a good team spirit and did not collapse like we have done.

Torquay had a good spell in the second half with 3 chances in a short spell of time that included Wrexham heading the ball off the line from a MacDonald header. Lavercombe did a solid job in goal with good handling and decision making and was well protected by our defence. Sponsors MOTM went to our PM and legend, Nicholson. The game opened up more in the 2nd. half and it was still an even game and a question whether either team could score. Marsh fed the ball to Murombedzi outside the box in a central area, he slipped the ball through a defender, ran on and slotted the ball past their keeper. Gulls fans enjoyed a rare win and why shouldn't we?

The recent games have shown us to be more solid and organised and we also have some decent pace and skill up front. Things are slowly moving in the right direction and the recent additions in attack should certainly help. It's a shame we need a huge up turn in results to survive this season but at least there are some encouraging signs and it seems we will give it a go.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

forevertufc wrote:Firstly that's a great win, maybe the new signings have had an impact today without even playing.
:goodpost:
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

Think I'll open the thread with a defeatist moan on that occasion as well. Seems to work. :lol: Well done United !
goodluckgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by goodluckgull »

Well done to the players today. Good to see Luke Young on the pitch before the game kicking the ball. I noticed that the players did not start their warm up until 2.30pm. Maybe this is a new plan to conserve more energy for the game.
l
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Well deserved win today and there seemed to be a great spirit in the team - everyone working for each other. I thought Wrexham were better organised/kept their shape better. We defended very well. Their no.9 - Gray I think - was a nasty niggly player. Pushing and backing into Nathan Smith from the start, but her didn't get any change from Nathan who was my man of the match. Gray also kicked out at Durrell Berry after Berry had cleared the ball, but the ref, who was abysmally dreadful, missed it. It would have been very difficult to pick the five best players.

Those who think Nicho should drop himself should think again. Whilst he feels that he is able to contribute to the team, let him select himself. He and Dan Butler have formed a good partnership on the left. Verma and Richards played well in midfield and yet somehow it was in midfield that we were being overrun at times.