Torquay United v Braintree Tue-8th

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: colin bettany

Post by samuel »

Some positives, a tough game, even though 0-0 I found it engrossing. Ajala a bit better than last Saturday. Dan Butler, not so good tonight. Not impressed with Harrad or Rees. Courtenay still ragged but does put in a shift. Amazed that Lavercombe stayed on the pitch, a straight red for me. I am also surprised the attendance was so low. Sitting in Bristows there seemed more in the popside than there was on Saturday - strange.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Disagree on Lavercombe. To be a red card it has to be a denial of a clear goal scoring opportunity, he Braintree player was a good 25 yards out, running quite a way wide from memory, and there was a covering defender, personally think the ref had that right.
Formerly known as forevertufc
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Good game - I thought we did enough to win it which we would have done if Blissett stayed on the pitch. I am not sure what the injury was. It may well have been a hamstring but I do wonder whether he was feeling it before the game and was taken off early. He spent most of the second half stood up near the dugout watching the game and didn't look in any discomfort so I don't think it looks anything long term.
Lets face it - losing him would be a massive blow to our chances.
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

goodluckgull wrote:Bliss was holding the back of his thigh when he walked off, so it looked like a hamstring injury. Dan didn't take all his goal kicks.

Danny Racchi had a very good game.

The Braintree Manager was getting quite irate. It looked like the fans on the Bristow Bench were getting fed up with his antics
It was just a bit of light-heated banter about him constantly being outside the technical area-he turned to the crowd and smiled everytime we shouted at him to get back!
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

forevertufc wrote:Disagree on Lavercombe. To be a red card it has to be a denial of a clear goal scoring opportunity, he Braintree player was a good 25 yards out, running quite a way wide from memory, and there was a covering defender, personally think the ref had that right.

I agree as he was running toward the corner of the 18 yard box.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

A great performance by the lads and a very good defensive display which was nice to see. Braintree are a well organised side and had a couple of inviting chances to win it, but we held out. We had a glorious chance to steal it and looked dangerous with Iffy and Andre. Would have taken a point before the game started and I think it was a fair result.

The atmosphere was fantastic, onto Aldershot, we're on our way!!
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

arcadia wrote:

I agree as he was running toward the corner of the 18 yard box.
About one the only things the ref got right!
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

brucie wrote:Good game - I thought we did enough to win it which we would have done if Blissett stayed on the pitch. I am not sure what the injury was. It may well have been a hamstring but I do wonder whether he was feeling it before the game and was taken off early. He spent most of the second half stood up near the dugout watching the game and didn't look in any discomfort so I don't think it looks anything long term.
Lets face it - losing him would be a massive blow to our chances.
Yes - Nathan Blissett has been a revelation and losing him when he is looking so dangerous could well affect our chances. I am concerned that we're one striker short. Besides Blissett, we have Shaun Harrad and Andre Wright of course, but if Nathan can't play on Saturday, we will have no striker option on the bench. I think we should try to bring in another loan signing if possible, although I know it's easier said than done to find a decent striker. I know we can only have five loanees in a match-day squad so it may mean a midfielder dropping out on occasions. There is £15,000 in the Players Fund apparently and I feel that bringing in another striker would be money well spent. No doubt these thoughts are going through Nicho's head as well as the Board. Anyone know when the Loan Window closes?

Good on you, Brucie, for driving down from North Devon on a damp Tuesday night and to all of you others who travelled from afar to support TUFC.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

It appears Blisset may have a tight hamstring from reports rather than a pull, which is something he can hopefully recover from a lot quicker. Personally don't agree Tommo that the club needs to bring in another striker, don't forget there's Iffy Allen that can play up top as well as out wide, and he's already scored in the Trophy and league for us, with his pace and trickery, I'm sure he could do a job up there.
Formerly known as forevertufc
JamesTUFC
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by JamesTUFC »

I read somewhere that Blisset coming off early was just a precaution as he felt a tightening in his hamstring. Anyway, hard-working performance. In better conditions I feel we could have won it. Defence looked strong once again. Crazy to think it is the same 4 who were here a few months ago during some pretty embarrassing defeats. The great escape is on! COYY
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

I think I remember seeing one of our players had those blue sticky strips on his hamstrings on Saturday - could well have been Blissett. If he did feel the tightening and came off as a precaution, good decision by Player and Manager
JamesTUFC
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by JamesTUFC »

Jeff wrote:I think I remember seeing one of our players had those blue sticky strips on his hamstrings on Saturday - could well have been Blissett. If he did feel the tightening and came off as a precaution, good decision by Player and Manager
I believe it was Blisset too. Good shout from Nico
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

Really enjoyed what was a proper match. Braintree, as has been said we well organised and looked like they had settled on a method of play that al the players were comfortable with. We allowed them a good start but once we got our play going we match them until about 10 from half time when they started to get rattled. McDonald and Smith were physical and the midfield four were aggresive. For the first 25 minutes of the 2nd half we built the pressure and it seemed as if a goal would come and two great chances we missed. Then we seemed to tire. KN brought on his subs at the right time but Braintree started to carve out some chances. We could have grabbed it at the end but Wright and Allen couldn't seem to get on the same wave length and an overlap was snuffed out. It is mentioned above about our defence keeping clean sheets, which is down to having a proper midfield in front. Richards now looks the weak link, a number of moves broke down become of his poor control, all after being the main man in there for most of the season. I'd like to see Verma in there with the others, but KN may see it as a risk. Lots to play for.
TUST number 080
goodluckgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by goodluckgull »

Just want to thank the Drummer and popside singers. It was great to hear some new songs, which went along way to creating a brilliant atmosphere.
The songs are still whirling round my head today !
Orange Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Orange Gull »

The Braintree manager was also impressed with the noise created last night. The drumming and singing came through loud and clear on the radio last night, you'd have thought there was a hell of a lot more than 1400 in attendance.
http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/T ... story.html