Torquay United v Braintree Tue-8th

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Agreed gullscorer, TUFC are currently 4th in the current form table, Braintree 7th, although you have to factor they had 2points stolen off them by Guiseley, this game will certainly be a lot closer than a few weeks ago.

But we can also look at other stats as well, Braintree have scored 23 goals away from home 9th best in the division, they have conceded 15 goals away from home 3rd best in the division, and have an away goal difference of +8 also the 3rd best in the division, so the warnings are there, however no reason why our team can't win this match.

Our team can't afford to let concentration slip like yesterday, there was period in both half's we seem to take the foot of the gas, got to be on it for 90 minutes Tuesday, and this is where a bit of squad rotation might be needed, thought Ajala and Harrod both looked way of the pace yesterday, hopefully if fit would go with Allen, and after yesterdays cameo , would go with Blisset/Wright up top.
Formerly known as forevertufc
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I don't think so. Thus:
TUFC (1) 1
Braintree (3) 3

Att: 1409
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

wivelgull wrote:I don't think so. Thus:
TUFC (1) 1
Braintree (3) 3

Att: 1409
Lets hope your prediction is as accurate as it was for the Macclesfield game.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

pnutgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by pnutgull »

Points taken. As you say our current form is excellent BUT I would still say that IF it doesn't work out on Tuesday it would not be a disaster for the reason given.
I look forward to being pleasantly surprised, honest ...... but being a Torquay supporter for well over 40 years does temper that hope with realism. We have the capacity of both snatching success from the jaws of defeat ( Barnet away) and despair from a position of hope ( Colchester away)

Added in 4 seconds:
Points taken. As you say our current form is excellent BUT I would still say that IF it doesn't work out on Tuesday it would not be a disaster for the reason given.
I look forward to being pleasantly surprised, honest ...... but being a Torquay supporter for well over 40 years does temper that hope with realism. We have the capacity of both snatching success from the jaws of defeat ( Barnet away) and despair from a position of hope ( Colchester away)
jimhart33
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by jimhart33 »

Bar shocks (and they happen) on Tuesday our rivals will struggle to pick up points.
We need to be tight and hope to nick a win.
Although I accept attack is the best form of defence.
So thats all agreed then?
Parkys People
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Darren Moore

Post by Parkys People »

Avoiding a defeat will suffice on Tuesday.

We can all relate to a time, that potential banana skin, when Torquay have been flying high & come unstuck against a lowly team who have found a bit of form. Braintree will not look forward to facing a team at the wrong end of the table, away from home, who have won four on the bounce.

Coyy.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Why did you have to remind me of that Colchester match? I was having a quiet Sunday afternoon until I read that (I have double bad memories of Colchester as I was there in April 67 to see our push for the old league division 2 disappear)

Back on topic, we've reached that stage in the season where strange results are starting to happen (look at Cheltenham and FGR's recent form) so anything is on the cards.
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

forevertufc wrote:Other important games Tuesday;

Altrincham v Gateshead
Barrow v Boreham Wood
Dover v Welling
Guiseley v Tranmere
Bromley v FC Halifax

Come on Bowman - stick one away for old times sake! :)
Ah, Paul Cox. Sure he will mastermind a victory over the Wood. :bow:
Come on, Acheampong & Marsh - stick a couple away for old times sake! :)
Feck off Hurst. :red:
And Bromley, my old College on the Common. You owe us a result over FCH. :-D
TUST member 200 ;-)
midtable
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Brian Wilson

Post by midtable »

A part-time team that is doing incredibly well as they are fourth in the league. Their captain is a P.E. teacher, so a slight hope is that someone can't make it all the way to Devon due to work commitments. Still, Matt Fry will be missing as he was sent off in their 2-0 win against Eastleigh on Saturday. A very tough game in prospect so a draw would be a good result.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Braintree will be very hard to beat tomorrow evening but we have the momentum after 4 consecutive league wins.

Braintrees last 4 away games have seen them lose 1-0 at both Boreham Wood and Forest Green.They drew 1-1 at both Southport and Guiseley.

So they are due a defeat lets hope it is tomorrow!

In a very tight match I am going for a narrow 1-0 win. COYY.
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

There were some heavy-legged performances from some in the second half-so think we definitely need freshening-up.
Wright to start.Allen as "impact sub" perhaps? Not sure who would drop out for Verma though as Reece looked to have the most energy of all the midfielders.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Behind-the-Gulls wrote:There were some heavy-legged performances from some in the second half-so think we definitely need freshening-up.
Wright to start.Allen as "impact sub" perhaps? Not sure who would drop out for Verma though as Reece looked to have the most energy of all the midfielders.

Fair comment, but Braintree equally have played catch up matches in the last few weeks like us and they are part time. Tomorrow night is about who wants to win the game more. Tiredness is not an excuse Tuesday night.
Lucy
northlondongull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by northlondongull »

I am going for a 2-1 win tonight with Blissett back on the score sheet as well as Racchi.

I have great respect for Braintree and what they have achieved with a part time side but I feel that this new look Torquay team in more than capable of winning tonight. They are travelling across the country and I think that our full time status should be an advantage when playing 2 games in 4 days.

We now have the absolute luxury of having more than 11 decent players so with Verma, Wright and Allen we have options to change things off the bench. I would go with the same team that won at the weekend and see how it goes. Wright deserves a decent run out.

COYY
DJ Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by DJ Gull »

Does anyone know for sure wether or not iffy is fit?
To the dotted line, We're on our way
goodluckgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by goodluckgull »

I think we should have a song for Nathan Smith. He deserves one. We could just chant his name, softly at first and then build it up into a crescendo of noise.