Cheltenham Town v Torquay United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Cheltenham Town v Torquay United

Post by Dave »

Think we all looked at the Christmas fixtures with a collective sigh, 3 games against the top 2 in the league, struggling for points, struggling for confidence, things were certainly going to get worse before they got better or so we thought, well the answer surprisingly was no. Where that performance came from yesterday I don't know, us fans were treated to our first home win since the opening day of the season, we were treated to 90 minutes of watching our team completely out play the opposition , and every single TUFC fan especially those who've gone regularly deserved that performance.

So we move on to Whaddon Road home of Cheltenham Town, this is a ground us Gulls fans know well, The Robins have been for so long a rival from our football league days. I cast my mind back to August and the match at Plainmoor, the opening 5-6 minutes of that game our team looked like they would be in for a very long afternoon as Cheltenham started on the front foot, however, 8 minutes in and the referee seemed to give us a life line as George McLennan was sent off, or so we thought, The Robins are going to have to play 82 minutes with 10 men after a controversial sending off, this has to be our day, well it wasn't as Cheltenham went on the dominate the game and win 0.3.

I've seen every home game and for me it's no surprise Cheltenham are starting to pull away at the top, for me they are the best and most complete team I've seen all season and the statistics do not lie in their case, Cheltenham have gone 13 games without defeat, their unbeaten throughout October, November and so far December.

Cheltenham have the best League record, top of the current form league, best attack with 52 goals scored, best defence with 19 goals conceded, best goal difference at +33, now what a game a game this would be to win.

For Gulls fans attending the match

http://www.ctfc.com/club/stadium/ if you've never been before, you can also pay to park at the social club behind the ground, and away fans are welcome to drink in there as well.

Cheltenham top goal scorers

Billy Waters 11
Daniel Wright 10
Jack Munns 7
Harry Pell 6
Aaron Downes 5
Amari Morgan-Smith 5
Danny Parslow 2
Kyle Storer 2
Asa Hall 1
James Rowe

Current form

Cheltenham Town; W-D-W-W-W-W

14 Nov Southport 0 - 4 Cheltenham
21 Nov Cheltenham 1 - 1 Forest Green
28 Nov Aldershot To. 0 - 2 Cheltenham
5 Dec Cheltenham 3 - 1 Chester
19 Dec Cheltenham 1 - 0 Altrincham
26 Dec Kidderminster 1 - 2 Cheltenham

Last time out

Kidderminster 1 - 2 Cheltenham

01 Phillips
02 Barthram
05 Downes
06 Parslow
03 McLennan
29 Jennings (Dayton - 79' )
04 Storer
07 Pell Booked
11 Munns (Hall - 86' )
09 Wright Booked
30 Novakovich (Waters - 46' )

Substitutes
08 Waters
12 Kitscha
14 Hall
18 Rowe
27 Dayton

Cheltenham Town boss Gary Johnson told BBC Radio Gloucestershire:

"To be fair to Kidderminster they didn't play like a bottom of the league team, they made it a proper derby and we had to fight for everything we got.

"We had to be sure that we were going to win the game and the only way we could do it, was the way we played in the second half.

"We needed a lot more energy, a lot more thought, a lot more blocking things, a lot more winning headers and once we did that and kept it up front a little bit more then they couldn't get in."

From a Torquay United point of view

Well what a difference 1 game, 1 good performance and a home win can make to us Gulls fans, there have been things happen, not happen, and said, especially on social media recently that have frustrated and annoyed me, and to be fair by no means just me, but I posted during the week it was time to put all of that to one side and concentrate on doing our bit as fans to help our club stay in this division, and no one can fault our fans yesterday the atmosphere in the ground was electric, by far the best it's been all season and we as fans need to keep that up, us fans in general don't need to wait for a boxing day game to turn up and support your club either, the extra 300-400 fans inside the ground also made a big difference to the team, no doubt about it.

Going into this match Angus MacDonald will sit this one out through suspension, it was good to see Berry, Richards (first class captain) and Marsh back in the line up, made a huge difference, although I'm still not sure Berry is at 100% fitness yet. Thought the partnership between Wright and Marsh looked dangerous yesterday like to see that continued in this game.

We saw a very special team performance v FGR Boxing day, we're going to need another and some in this match to get something, but hey, why not.

Torquay united top goal scorers

As promised I will now remove Hurst from the top goal scores list, thankfully it's only taken a couple of weeks for one of our players to step up to the mark and match Hurst's record, with Fisher gone still highlights a problem however.

Tyrone Marsh 7
Dan Butler 2
Aman Verma 2
Andre Wright 2
Durrell Berry 1
Josh Carmichael 1
Exodus Geohaghon 1
Angus MacDonald 1
Courtney Richards 1

Current form

Torquay United; L-L-D-L-L-W

14 Nov Barrow 4 - 0 Torquay Utd
21 Nov Torquay Utd 1 - 3 Lincoln City
28 Nov Braintree 0 - 0 Torquay Utd
5 Dec Torquay Utd 0 - 1 Wrexham
19 Dec Chester 4 - 1 Torquay Utd
26 Dec Torquay Utd 4 - 1 Forest Green

Last time out

Torquay Utd 4 - 1 Forest Green

21 Lavercombe
29 Berry
22 Gerring
16 Richards
24 Nicholson (Carmichael - 85' )
18 Smith
03 Butler
26 Heslop
25 Verma Booked
10 Marsh (Briscoe - 74' )
28 Wright (Finch - 93' )

Substitutes
06 Geohaghon
07 Briscoe
12 Carmichael
30 Finch
31 Corderoy

Player-manager full of praise for deserved win...

The players went out there and did the basics; they worked hard for themselves and each other and it certainly paid off,” he said. “We changed our formation slightly today and the lads made it work.

“We got what we deserved. The hope now is that we can kick-on from here.

“It’s a definite step in the right direction, but as much as I will enjoy the win, it’s only one game and now we have to prepare for Monday’s trip to Cheltenham.

“That said, if we approach every game like this one, then we won’t have a problem. We responded really well to going a goal behind and it’s that kind of reaction that will get us to where we want to be.

“I am happy for my players; they ran themselves into the ground and everyone did their job. Let’s hope we can build on this confidence in the next game.”

Read more at http://www.torquayunited.com/news/artic ... CTkx7s0.99

MIDFIELDER, Louis Briscoe gives us the low-down on his team-mates...

WHICH OF YOUR TEAM-MATES IS THE CLEVEREST AND WHY?

Tough one that, not a lot to go with to be honest... I will go with Simon Heslop.

WHICH OF YOUR TEAM-MATES IS THE FUNNIEST AND WHY?

Earlier in the season it was Joe Quigley, who we had on loan from AFC Bournemouth. He was funny bordering on stupid, but was a good watch!

WHICH OF YOUR TEAM-MATES IS THE BEST DRESSED AND WHY?

Sam Chaney, he has got a bit. Think his girlfriend dresses him though if I'm being totally honest.

WHICH OF YOUR TEAM-MATES IS THE WORST DRESSED AND WHY?

Josh Carmichael wore a red jacket, hat and trainer combo earlier in the season that I wasn't quite sure about.

WHICH OF YOUR TEAM-MATES HAS THE BEST TASTE IN MUSIC AND WHY?

I have to say that I am missing the music choice of Kenny Veysey since he left the club. It was more to my taste than any of the stuff the rest of the lads listen to.

WHICH OF YOUR TEAM-MATES DO YOU ROOM WITH ON AWAY TRIPS AND WHAT ARE HIS BEST AND WORST HABITS?

I’ve roomed with Waide Fairhurst and Simon Heslop. Fairhurst keeps telling me and everyone that he’s a 9.5 out of 10 in terms of looks, which is his worst habit, whilst Heslop brings good depth to the conversation.

WHICH OF YOUR TEAM-MATES IS THE BEST TRAINER AND WHY?

I would say Luke Young but as he is injured, I will go for Dan Butler as he gives 110% everyday and has a great attitude.

WHICH OF YOUR TEAM-MATES IS THE WORST TRAINER AND WHY?

Minus myself, I would say Bayan Fenwick. No-one ever knows which team he is on during our training games.

WHICH OF YOUR TEAM-MATES WILL MAKE THE BEST MANAGER AND WHY?

Tough one as we have a very young squad, but I could see Luke Young managing in the future. He is wise beyond his years.

WHICH OF YOUR TEAM-MATES TAKES THE LONGEST IN THE SHOWER?

I take a while, but Exodus takes his time too, so I will go for him.

Read more at http://www.torquayunited.com/news/artic ... qkl4ATC.99

Head to Head Meetings

English Division Three

14.03.2000 Torquay United 1-1 Cheltenham Town
01.04.2000 Cheltenham Town 2-0 Torquay United
26.08.2000 Cheltenham Town 2-0 Torquay United
06.01.2001 Torquay United 1-2 Cheltenham Town
01.09.2001 Cheltenham Town 2-2 Torquay United
01.01.2002 Torquay United 0-1 Cheltenham Town
15.11.2003 Torquay United 3-1 Cheltenham Town
24.04.2004 Cheltenham Town 1-3 Torquay United

English League Two

01.10.2005 Cheltenham Town 0-1 Torquay United
15.04.2006 Torquay United 1-2 Cheltenham Town
01.12.2009 Torquay United 3-0 Cheltenham Town
23.02.2010 Cheltenham Town 1-1 Torquay United
22.02.2011 Cheltenham Town 2-2 Torquay United
22.03.2011 Torquay United 2-1 Cheltenham Town
13.09.2011 Torquay United 2-2 Cheltenham Town
14.02.2012 Cheltenham Town 0-1 Torquay United
21.08.2012 Torquay United 2-2 Cheltenham Town
02.02.2013 Cheltenham Town 2-1 Torquay United
21.09.2013 Torquay United 4-2 Cheltenham Town
15.03.2014 Cheltenham Town 1-0 Torquay United

English National League

29.08.2015 Torquay United 0-3 Cheltenham Town

English FA Cup

07.11.2009 r1 Torquay United 3-1 Cheltenham Town

English Johnstone's Paint Trophy

01.09.2009 s.r1 Cheltenham Town 1-3 Torquay United
30.08.2011 s.r1 Cheltenham Town 2-1 Torquay United

English League Two Play-Offs

13.05.2012 sf-1 Cheltenham Town 2-0 Torquay United
17.05.2012 sf-2 Torquay United 1-2 Cheltenham Town (1-4)
Formerly known as forevertufc
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Yet another good preview Forever, and as you suggest, tomorrow's game will be even tougher than Boxing Day's, since Cheltenham will be forewarned about us, and Gary Johnson is a wily old boss who knows that nothing is certain in football and will prepare his team accordingly.

Cheltenham are indeed a team above and beyond the rest of the division this season, and seven points out in front. But Bournemouth's recent good run which pulled them away from their relegation zone is an example of what can be achieved. No team is invincible, and if we play anything like we did on Saturday then Cheltenham will be in for a hard game. I certainly expect the score-line to be much closer than Saturday's, perhaps just the odd goal in it either way.

Another good performance from us is probably even more important than the result; as Kevin Nicholson says, if we go on playing like that then we won't have a problem. And if we go on supporting as we did on Saturday, then the team will have an extra man which, along with their new-found fighting spirit, will definitely ensure our safety (not to mention victory in the FA Trophy)..!!

:scarf: :scarf:
Last edited by Gullscorer on 27 Dec 2015, 14:01, edited 1 time in total.
chardie
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Alan Little

Post by chardie »

Excellent preview Forever, many thanks for this.

Going for a 2-2 draw, ever the optimist.
TUST No 278
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

We have to get at that from the outset as per FGR, we know what their capable of with ten men when we aren't up for it.
We also know what Downes is capable of going forward and from set pieces as he showed against Kidderminster yesterday.

On the positive side we also are fully aware of what calamities Downes is capable of when he's put under pressure giving away penalties and even the odd OG. I'd like to see us play higher up the pitch against them and let's put him under pressure and see if he's feeling seasonably charitable.

Didn't plan to go, see you there.
TUST MEMBER No. 166

JOHNSON HAD A DREAM
TO BUILD FOOTBALL TEAM
HE HAD NO JOB SO HE CAME TO THE GULLS
WITH CAMERON AT THE BACK
AND REIDY IN ATTACK
WE'RE TORQUAY UNITED
WE'RE ON OUR WAY BACK !!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Couple of lads can now longer go, so I now have a few spare seats, anyone who needs a lift send us a PM. Looking forward to this game now, was happy tow rite off all 3 Christmas fixtures, however if we can have a repeat of yesterdays performance we'll certainly give them a game.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

What Nicho and the lads need to show now is that Saturday's game was not simply a flash in a pan. There needs to be a consistency and that will generate the points. Whatever tomorrow brings, if the team plays as they did on Saturday, there will be no negative comments. As Forever has posted (yet another good match preview by the way), Cheltenham are on a long unbeaten run but they all come to an end eventually - and usually unexpectedly, so here's hoping.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Im hoping to go. If Paul is watching in. Can you contact me mate. if not. can anyone else pick me up? Im in Gloucester.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Simply have nothing to lose here, everyone on their forum (even one of our own) is predicting a comfortable win for for them by at least 2 goals!

We must get at them from the start, play the ref, do hope Richards retains the captains armband, easily achieved as I feel McDonald should start on the bench, put their defence, particularly Downes, under as much pressure as possible. This would mean more players in their box, not as easily achieved with the way they are currently playing but they only just managed to get three points at Kiddy so it's doable!
TUST MEMBER No. 166

JOHNSON HAD A DREAM
TO BUILD FOOTBALL TEAM
HE HAD NO JOB SO HE CAME TO THE GULLS
WITH CAMERON AT THE BACK
AND REIDY IN ATTACK
WE'RE TORQUAY UNITED
WE'RE ON OUR WAY BACK !!
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

I think McDonald is still suspended, so there shouldn't be any reason why Richards isn't still captain.

Despite the success of boxing day, I'm still feeling "heart says win, head says defeat". We are already well ahead of the points target anyone thought we could achieve from these 3 games, so its spot on that we have nothing to lose. Marsh and Wright were an absolute handful against FGR, if we can get the ball into their feet and get them running at Downes they might be able to do some damage. Lump the ball in the air and Downes will dominate
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Reverting to type

Cheltenham 7 Torquay 0
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

Trying to decide whether I'm going today. I just can't see us getting anything. Do people reckon we'll have a big following? Are we behind the goal?
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Will be behind the goal, and would be surprised if we have less than 300 there, should be a decent following.
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Kernowgull »

Alright, I'm going, its only an hour and 9 minutes according to Google maps, gonna set off early so can hopefully park easy, always git the train when I've been before. Will fellow Gulls be in the supporters club before hand?
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Kernowgull wrote:Alright, I'm going, its only an hour and 9 minutes according to Google maps, gonna set off early so can hopefully park easy, always git the train when I've been before. Will fellow Gulls be in the supporters club before hand?
There's a social club behind the ground, expect there will be a few in there.
DJ Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by DJ Gull »

Just had a look at list Minuit train deals, still not affordable :( so radio Devon it is for me! Come on you yellows!!
To the dotted line, We're on our way