Torquay United v FGR (Boxing day/Jan 1ST) double header match day thread

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Ben Gerring is definitely NOT the reason we lost this game.
Thought he actually played well. Unlucky own goal.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Ben Gerring had a good game at Cheltenham so one game you may have seen decides that he is rubbish
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Better performance than I expected with the team we put out. Galling to lose like that, I thought a draw would have been fair. But when you look at our bench compared to theirs, thats where the difference lay.

Does anyway know why Heslop (I assume he has left now contract is up?) and Briscoe weren't available today?
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Also thought Gerring did well, nothing he could do about the own goal.

Good performance, go again next game.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Briscoe is injured ....again
Last edited by Dutchgull on 01 Jan 2016, 19:29, edited 1 time in total.
Orange Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Orange Gull »

Pleased with that performance, we matched them well for most of the game until tiredness started to set in. Of course FGR can bring on quality players off the bench, unfortunately we have no such luxury. If we continue to play like this then I can't believe we will be relegated.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Glostergull »

well it seems most fans do not share your opinion Yellowsmiffy. Gearing had a good game. yes we lost but were not disgraced. as with Cheltenham. Gearing has at least two good games. and probably had a good game too in the Boxing day game. So what you base your assessment on I havem't a clue. Unless your a fully paid up member of the Wivelbrucie appreciation society

Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

The issue with saying that we are getting players in to assist, is that we are rapidly running out of games.

Obviously, I hope we don't get relegated, but time isn't our friend right now and dropping points as much as we currently are isn't helping.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Thought today was about the same as Monday - we looked good and matched them, but ultimately lost. I said then that I wasn't impressed with Gerring as he struggled to kick a ball in a straight line, and his mistake today let them back into the game. Instead of playing with 4 centre backs, we surely could have started Murombedzi instead and only 6 defenders instead of 7. It's obviously not his fault we lost, but he's simply not good enough with the ball at his feet to play at this level. In 3 games this week he's never yet managed to control a ball first time or clear it without shanking it out of play. With the goal today he should have been able to clear it, but like he did conceding two other corners, had his feet in the wrong position and the ball ended up hitting him and going in. Much like Martin Rice in league two, there is a difference between someone playing as well as he is able to and someone playing to the required level of the division he's playing in. Gerring has been solid enough when called upon, but we really shouldn't be calling upon him unless in an emergency.

The penalty could easily not have been given, and overall we could very easily have taken something. The trouble though is, exactly like Monday, we've come away with nothing. One game less of the season remaining and still 30 points needed. Signings are vital this week or we're increasing the size of the mountain to climb week by week. More quality has to be added all over the pitch if we're going to win enough games to survive.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Glostergull »

not quite on present subject but did anyone hear the attendance?
Last edited by Glostergull on 01 Jan 2016, 19:46, edited 1 time in total.

Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Fed up of talking about glorious failures, improved performances, we need points. Yes the team defended better, no it wasn't Gerring's fault either but we're architects of our own downfall again.

What's Berry doing diving for the shot ? Doesn't need to do that, Lavercombe's got the shot covered and saves it all day long. Commentators are banging on about a great finish from Marsh-Brown, but why oh why has he been given the freedom of Nailsworth to set himself for the shot and pick his spot, someone should be closing him down.

We do have games that look much easier on paper coming up, but we have to do better for 90 minutes every game, no good doing it 1 game in 10, it now has to be 10 games from 10.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Glostergull »

yes we are running out of games. But would you rather be in a position to have a go or be in the position where we might as well give up now. I know which side I would rather be on

Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

If a linesman can't pick up an obvious offside from a deadball free kick there is no hope. His total inefficiency changed the game. As for Hargreaves how can a man be given a red card when he has his arm next to his chest and the ball runs shoulder to arm.? No wonder Hargreaves cost us our League place. When do we ever get officials who do things like that at Plainmoor..
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

222 gulls fans
eddyh
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by eddyh »

Desperately unlucky to lose but the "squad" (and I use the term very loosely) is just too thin. Today it was basically a case of being fit and registered and you were in.
I don't have anything against Gerring but he's not good enough although he did OK defensively tonight.
The bench was pribably the worst in the history of the club and that is the problem. Somehow we need to get Fairhirst fit and sign 3 or 4 starters or we are down. There is some spirit now which is a positive but more quality and strength in depth is required if we are to perform what would now be a massive turnaround