Torquay United v Chesham F.A.T- (Replay-TUE 15TH 7.45)

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

Orange Gull wrote:The commentators said that the replay would be on Tuesday, I assume it is this Tuesday coming.
Can't rely on the commentator who consistently muddled up Gerring, McDonald and Verma. But, yes I think it's Tuesday.
TUST member 200 ;-)
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

lucy6lucy wrote:
No comment. Just glad others where aware.
I read the same thing, was surprised to then hear there would be a replay from the commentators!

Also there was meant to be a friendly at home on this Tuesday night - that article seems to have disappeared!
Alley
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Alley »

Hi Arcadianif you watched the Cullumpton game what players would you have played today instead of some who did play?
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

That was an indicative result today.

Against a team of part-timers, led up front by a 43 year old (although in fairness he still presents a handful for any defence), we scarcely carved out any chances worth their name - I counted 9 attempts and only 3 on target. One of these was, however, a gilt-edged second-half chance which was blocked on the line when it looked easier to score. We were only saved from embarrassing defeat by an outstanding save at the death by Lavercombe.

This is a team that looks absolutely clueless about how to even score a goal, never mind win a match. Any hope of avoiding relegation is fast receding. We are already 7 points from safety with two matches against Forest Green and one against Cheltenham to come over Christmas when I expect us to fall even further behind and our 'goals against' tally takes a hammering.

I think booing at the end of this match is an indication that the fans are fast losing patience with the current management team but I know the Club have no ability to change things again so expect Nicho to lead us down into the even murkier depths of non-league football.

Sad times.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Alley wrote:Hi Arcadianif you watched the Cullumpton game what players would you have played today instead of some who did play?
I must tell you the game was poor on Wednesday and bad tackling.
I would have kept the same keeper, back four, Murumbazi same midfield but up front I would have kept Fisher as he's someone who can use his pace to get behind as sub. just to change the style. I think Murumbadzi has more to offer in a wide position than Briscoe.
Where Finch came into the equassion I do not know. Kevins got a hard job but it's been improving it's not just the team that's picked it's the instructions they get. If you keep putting the ball inside early it's easy to defend against if you get in behind them you can create by pulling the ball back. Verma did well but the wide players seemed to want to put the ball into the box early and it was wasted. When Murumbadzi came on he got behind the defense. Wright did well out of the box but you want him to do that in the box he's a striker for heavens sake.
Briscoe, if Kevin wants to play him has got to play off the main striker but does he do enough. Marsh is a good player given the right balls but we've not got a creatre where is Charmicheal or Chaney, but today Verma did ok.

There is no easy answer but after months of trying Kevins changed the keeper and perhaps some of the ones knocking me might agree now. Smith has got to come back in the side.
Do we get Hurst back after the cooling off time.
PL21gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee MansellBaseball

Post by PL21gull »

We are meant to be professional - however we cannot even impose ourselves on lesser teams - worse, we do not even seek to impose ourselves on visiting teams. Is it so difficult to play real football to feet instead of hoofing the ball forwards and hoping to get a head on it (and to what purpose?). Even throws-in and possession are totally wasted by constantly lobbing the ball at two heads surrounded by 5 opponents.

The current negative thinking on the pitch seems to be play for 0-0 at half-time; against Wrexham, with a gale at our backs, we were too unadventurous to use the wind to any goal-threatening effect. Against Chesham, who hoofed the ball out of defence in the first half, we again showed no urgency, no intent to push forward and retain possession in order to create pressure and real chances. And yet the playing conditions were much more ideal for team play.

How on earth do we think we will ever score again, other than by a scramble from a corner? When we do shoot, mostly from hopeful distance, we hardly ever make the keeper play.
What goes on in training; apparently not footballing basics like ball control, triangles, one-twos, and certainly not composure.

So, does it matter who gets selected if we are just to play amateur hoofball, if we are going to avoid any attempt at midfield control, and if we cannot create pressure and something for the fans to believe in?
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

Wrexham home in the next round. Probably not much point in trying too hard at Chesham.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

standupsitdown wrote:Wrexham home in the next round. Probably not much point in trying too hard at Chesham.

It's a game we can win we have stopped the rot it's up to Nicholson to create chances now and we've got to go out and believe we can win.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

arcadia wrote:

It's a game we can win we have stopped the rot it's up to Nicholson to create chances now and we've got to go out and believe we can win.
Well said, Arcadia. We have GOT to stay positive. We are not out of this Cup and even making allowances for the dreadful weather when we played Wrexham a couple of weeks back, they didn't look that great. And I bet they won't relish another trip back to Devon in January. Keep the faith everybody - it's our only hope (I have to hold my hands up and say that I wasn't there on Sunday so I don't know how bad they really were !!). By the way, does anyone know where Fairhurst is? He was supposed to be getting back to fitness, came on as sub against Lincoln and looked sharp and now he's disappeared again. :(
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

tomogull wrote: Well said, Arcadia. We have GOT to stay positive. We are not out of this Cup and even making allowances for the dreadful weather when we played Wrexham a couple of weeks back, they didn't look that great. And I bet they won't relish another trip back to Devon in January. Keep the faith everybody - it's our only hope (I have to hold my hands up and say that I wasn't there on Sunday so I don't know how bad they really were !!). By the way, does anyone know where Fairhurst is? He was supposed to be getting back to fitness, came on as sub against Lincoln and looked sharp and now he's disappeared again. :(
What I worry about is will we stop the service to Hayles we need to put someone in front of him so that he does not get the chance to run the backfour with his strength and control bringing his side into the game. Hope someone sees this as Kevin was playing and may not have noticed that his side has got to work harder.
IanGull01
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tim Sills

Post by IanGull01 »

So now Berry is out for tonight as well.
Bloggy
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Bloggy »

A rush of postponements from tonights games!
Any doubts about the Chesham pitch?
Still don't know why they didn't conclude it on Sunday.
davidcaldwell123
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Marl Loram

Post by davidcaldwell123 »

:goodpost:
arcadia wrote:

Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

I must be bonkers. I'm in Chesham in the miserable drizzle. Anybody else bother?
Stucolls
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Stucolls »

any team news? I dont even know where Chesham is lol