Torquay United v Chesham F.A.T- (Replay-TUE 15TH 7.45)

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Torquay United v Chesham F.A.T- (Replay-TUE 15TH 7.45)

Post by Dave »

This Sunday see’s The Gulls return to F.A Trophy action, we Gulls fans have a love hate relationship with this competition, it’s a competition we just love to hate, can’t see this match generating to much interest amongst our support, the F.A Trophy didn’t wet the appetite of our fans in the past during better times, even though we’ve seen our club as both beaten finalists at Wembley and last season saw our team fall in the semi-finals, in the current climate at our club, will we see this as a welcome distraction from our league campaign and off the field problems, I’m not so sure.

Our first round opponents are Chesham United of the southern football league premier division, Chesham United were formed in 1917 and are nicknamed The Generals. Chesham United’s best run in the F.A Trophy came in 1998-99 when The generals reached the 4th round, however in 1967-68 Chesham United reached the final of the F.A amateur cup , the forerunner to the current competition.

The Generals have come close to promotion to the national league south during a successful three season run, 2012-13 / 2013-14 saw Chesham United as beaten play-off semi-finalists, however season 2014-15 saw The generals finish 2nd in the league with 92 points and 102 goals scored, but once again missed out on promotion this time as beaten play-off finalists.

Last season saw Chesham united slip to a disappointing 12th place finish, The Generals are currently sat 19th place with 22 points, although have had the distraction of the F.A cup, heroes of the first round with a 1.0 away win at Bristol Rovers, a match that could have finished better for The generals but for a missed penalty, however Chesham United did fall to a 4.0 defeat at Bradford in round two.
There’s no doubt Chesham United will arrive at plainmoor believing they can win, and if we take them too lightly they will win.

Last league fixture for Chesham

Kettering Town 3 v 0 Chesham United

Shane Gore
Ashley Smith
George Fenton
Nick Beasant
Curtis Ujah
Matt Taylor
Adam Martin
Sam Youngs
Ryan Blake
Kelvin Bossman
Toby Little

Substitutes
Barry Hayles
George Casey
Dave Pearce
Brad Wadkins
George Legg

Last 5 results for Chesham United

Swindon supermarine 2 v 3 Chesham (F.A.T)
Paulton Rovers 2 v 0 Chesham
Kettering 3 v 0 Chesham
Frome 1 v 1 Chesham (F.A.T)
Chesham 2 v 1 Frome (F.A.T)
Bradford 4 v 0 Chesham (F.A cup)

From a Torquay United point of view

Can’t even begin to suggest any team news or likely selections here, think a lot will depend on just how Kevin Nicholson is going to view this match, normally my own thoughts would be to rest a few, however, that’s all very well when your team is safe in the league or chasing promotion, when your teams 5 points behind safety desperately needing a win, and winning is a good habit to have, then I’d suggest giving this one a shot.

For me having a fit team is all very well, and to be fair it does help, but you need some quality as well, I’d certainly like to see Briscoe and Carmicheal get game time here.

For me it’s about getting the right players in the right places, Saturday we saw Richards trying to create in midfield and taking corners. Don’t get me wrong I’m a big fan of Richards, his work rate and ability to break up play in midfield is unquestionable, but let’s get him back to doing what he does best, because he can’t pass, or take a corner, I don’t think we can carry on playing two defensive midfielders in there.

Not meaning to come across personal here, but Murombedzi, yes this lad will run up and down the pitch all day, and you can’t fault his desire, however this is professional football not charity, he’s a poor footballer, lightweight, and gives it all the step overs and tricks, only to trip over or stand on the ball, last Saturday even managed to tackle himself while trying a trick to beat his man.

It’s all well and good bemoaning the windy conditions Saturday, the difference was, Wrexham had a player who knew where to put the ball, who had the ability to put the ball in the right place, to get the best out of the wind, how many corners did we take, in the main from Richards that didn’t beat the first man. For me it’s not about the lack of money and what you haven’t got as club, it’s about using and getting the best out of what do have, this match is a perfect chance for a change around.

Last time out

Torquay United 0 v 1 Wrexham

21 Lavercombe
29 Berry
05 MacDonald
16 Richards
24 Nicholson
18 Smith
25 Verma
26 Heslop (Briscoe - 88' )
03 Butler
28 Wright
11 Murombedzi (Marsh - 82' )
Substitutes
01 Spiess
07 Briscoe
10 Marsh
12 Carmichael
22 Gerring

Torquay United’s last 5 results

31 Oct Altrincham 1 - 1 Torquay Utd
14 Nov Barrow 4 - 0 Torquay Utd
21 Nov Torquay Utd 1 - 3 Lincoln City
28 Nov Braintree 0 - 0 Torquay Utd
5 Dec Torquay Utd 0 - 1 Wrexham

Gaffer reflects on loss

“I thought we were really good. I was disappointed for the lads, I hope they wake up tomorrow and realize that they are moving forward and that they have to keep on believing. If they do and keep on putting in that level of performance every week, and add a few goals into the mix, then we’ll be fine” said Kevin.

“Sometimes in football you don’t always get what you deserve, but that is what comes with experience – you realize that. You also realize that if you consistently perform well, then you’ll consistently get results. We have to keep our levels up.

“The wind played a part [in Wrexham’s goal]. Durrell had it covered at the front post but unfortunately it moved [in the air] and he’s ended up flicking it on. There’s not much we could do with the ball just three yards out. It’s not as if the lads hadn’t stuck with their runners. It just dropped to the feet of the opposition. Durrell was very good all game so I can’t hold anything against him; it was just one of those things.

“We dictated the game and played some nice football. We fought them, we were strong and aggressive. It was the final ball, that last bit of quality that can be the difference between winning that game and coming away with a defeat and licking our wounds.

“We have tightened things up at the back over the last couple of games. We need to keep it that way. If we do then the goals will come because I think creativity and confidence come hand-in-hand”

Read more at http://www.torquayunited.com/news/artic ... x7XbmOh.99
Last edited by Dave on 14 Dec 2015, 12:20, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known as forevertufc
midtable
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Brian Wilson

Post by midtable »

I hope and think we will put out a strong side to gain momentum and confidence from a win. The 5 grand victory bonus would also be handy for the club finances. Against Braintree we only had two shots at the goal (according to the BBC) and only one on target in the entire game. Kev out of a sense of loyalty kept the same team and against Wrexham at half time we had not had a single shot on target. It is even more difficult to defend when the other team are not worried about your attacking chances. I hope to see Carmichael back into the team because he is simply a better creative player than most of the others in the squad. Marsh should come off the naughty chair and play a game from the start. While if Waide Fairhurst starts then Wright is a more than useful substitute. I predict a 3-1 win and I have even bet a whopping 5 quid on a victory. This will be Chesham's fifth game in 12 days so surely a part-time team won't cope with the pressure at the Launa Windows Stadium...
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

I'm sure Chesham will be fearing the fortress LWS. Our only win on the opening day. If we don't win this match, we have to face the fact we are playing Conf South, as we have no excuses. A win will bread confidence. COYY
Lucy
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

lucy6lucy wrote:I'm sure Chesham will be fearing the fortress LWS. Our only win on the opening day. If we don't win this match, we have to face the fact we are playing Conf South, as we have no excuses. A win will bread confidence. COYY
Believe me this is going to be every bit as hard as last weekend nothing is easy when your losing. I just hope we've got everyone fit after we had a few injuries last night.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

It's win or bust - and I bet brucie agrees!
Chesh_Fan
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Chesh_Fan »

What bar /meal options will be available on the day for the travelling supporters please ? The response back from the phone messages so far have been deafening in the silence
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

You'll all be welcomed in Boots & Laces at the ground and there's usually a decent choice of food.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

Chesh_Fan wrote:What bar /meal options will be available on the day for the travelling supporters please ? The response back from the phone messages so far have been deafening in the silence
Pub wise as SG says Boots and Laces at the ground food wise there is plenty of chip shops in Plainmoor as well as Boots if they do food on the day.
Fantasia
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Fantasia »

I don't know if there are still carvery meal places ( @£15.00 for 3 course meal) available in No.10's restaurant in the family stand. Try ringing the club and going to hospitality option. Otherwise usual pie/pasty/ burger options in the ground.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

The club have also been advertising the pre-match meal on the website:

http://www.torquayunited.com/news/artic ... 90500.aspx

No 10s restaurant is at the ground as well.
Delicious three-course meal available in No.10s at our next home game - book now...

WE'RE back in home action on SUNDAY, December 13th with the visit of Chesham United in the FA Trophy first round.

Why not make it extra special by having a delicious pre-match meal in No.10s Restaurant?

We’ve got three courses for just £15 (adults) and £7.50 (juniors under-12). It represents great value, so what are you waiting for? Book today!

Just to tempt you even further, here’s a look at the menu... It certainly has a festive flavour to it!

STARTERS

Homemade Parsnip Soup

or

Brussells Pate and Melba Toast

MAIN COURSE

Roast Turkey

or

Honey Roast Ham

with

Pigs in Blankets, Roasted Potatoes, Seasonal Vegetables & Trimmings

SWEET

Christmas Pudding and Brandy Sauce

or

Hat-trick of Ice Cream

The dress code is smart casual. Book early to avoid disappointment.

To book your place, please contact Bernie Phillips on [email protected] or call the club on 01803-328 666 option 1 or 07940-222 800.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

A Really hoping Nicholson finally realises that the club and team are more important than his ego and leaves himself out.
TUST MEMBER No. 166

JOHNSON HAD A DREAM
TO BUILD FOOTBALL TEAM
HE HAD NO JOB SO HE CAME TO THE GULLS
WITH CAMERON AT THE BACK
AND REIDY IN ATTACK
WE'RE TORQUAY UNITED
WE'RE ON OUR WAY BACK !!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

If he's forced to ditch his assistant for Micky Adams then he might get told to do just that ;-)
Dave

Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

This was a personal concern of mine when Kevin Nicholson was appointed, I did wonder whether he would be able to see when his own inclusion in the side was having a detrimental effect, in my opinion his own inclusion is having such an effect, of course Nicholson himself will not agree.

When, as a manager your team is winning games, pick yourself, pick who you like, the manager when winning games has earned the right to, for the life of me I just can't see how Nicho can get a proper overview on things playing at left back, and you just can not learn everything you need to know from training.

Dave SG , are you dropping a little hint there ?
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Little? ;-)
Dave

Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Ok, so a big hint then :) Hopefully this is the case and not before time, our position is looking bleak which kind of stating the obvious, with the Christmas run of fixtures things could get worse before they get better, but it's not to late to save ourselves.

This division isn't packed full of good teams, with a few tweaks there's no reason why our team can't put together a run of results and haul ourselves back into contention a to stay up, doing nothing, excepting our fate is not the answer.