Torquay v Lincoln

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

Richy, I was referring to your comment about where are all the fans, I would have thought that was obvious. I have been to game after game, and am now fed up with being taken the piss out of by the club.
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

thats a good gate considering, aldershot had 1400 and you can bet wrexham took at least 200, im sorry but you canno expct 2,000 plus to turn up paying £ 16 and more to watc this rubbish, this is wore that the dave webb era and we wer down to 1200 gates even on saturday and that was inthe league.
we now need a miracle, nico as an easy appontment, he came cheap and thats all we can afford, what we need is someone to win the lotto very soon, get colin lee and leroy back or someone like him and start afresh
the present board have done there best undr the circumstances with the money they have but they are only taking us one way and thats down, so if someone come in with with an offer they must step aside and except.
i like several on here have been wearing rose tinted spectacles in hope things would improve but it aint going happenas long as we all have a hole in our ass.
please somebody save this club before its to late ! :( :@ :scarf:
RichyMills
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: the 12th man

Post by RichyMills »

gullintwoplaces wrote:Richy, I was referring to your comment about where are all the fans, I would have thought that was obvious. I have been to game after game, and am now fed up with being taken the piss out of by the club.
oh right,sorry

what do you think happens then? I wrote a thing for my teams fanzine a couple of weeks ago about knowing when to let go of your club in it's current form when it's being run into the ground and in financial strife. Was referring to Northampton and others but could it apply here?

in my opinion (but maybe not many others!) the club is more than the current squad, the stadium, the league position - it's about the links between club and community and its history. If the club went under would it possibly rise again stronger? Obviously that would be further down the league structure but how many current fans would get behind a re-formed club? somewhere between 500 - 1000? that would be huge support. if the team were doing well then would it matter what league they were in?

serious question. Look at teams doing it right now (Hereford) or teams that have started recently like FCUM (should this be a new thread?)
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

ROADRUNNER wrote:thats a good gate considering, aldershot had 1400 and you can bet wrexham took at least 200, im sorry but you canno expct 2,000 plus to turn up paying £ 16 and more to watc this rubbish, this is wore that the dave webb era and we wer down to 1200 gates even on saturday and that was inthe league.
we now need a miracle, nico as an easy appontment, he came cheap and thats all we can afford, what we need is someone to win the lotto very soon, get colin lee and leroy back or someone like him and start afresh
the present board have done there best undr the circumstances with the money they have but they are only taking us one way and thats down, so if someone come in with with an offer they must step aside and except.
i like several on here have been wearing rose tinted spectacles in hope things would improve but it aint going happenas long as we all have a hole in our ass.
please somebody save this club before its to late ! :( :@ :scarf:

Roadrunner, I always respect your opinion. Do you really think we appointed Nico because he was all we could afford? Not saying I don't believe you, but it shocks me to think that. Was there really nobody else? An out of work manager with a point to prove? An experienced Western League manager? If all we can afford is a manager who plays himself when he is well past it and is clearly completely out of his depth, then truly we are screwed. I hope for a miracle, but I don't think we'll get one.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Come on guys. where are we going to be able to get anything or anyone better. you could sack nicho but what are you going to replace him with. nicho is doing what he can with what he's got. even Arsene Wenger wouldn't get much more out our patched up team. we have what we can afford which isnt much. it's no good calling for better players. we haven't got the money for better players. they want a lot of money. period. we need an investor and where he or she is coming from is anyone guess. yes I wish we had the pull that Salford City has. But i cannot see anyone on the horizon. the board have asked for extra investors. but none have come forward. In short we have all we have and will have to make the best of it. and if that's not enough then so be it. I will still stick with them. if you dont want to then that's your choice. no one really cares much about United apart from the fans we have..that's it.. the town isn't really interested . the county is not really interested. Yes i can see it's possible we could cease to exist. But its not good calling for
even more money to throw at it. it ain't no good calling for better player. they are not affordable. it aint there. period !

I saw this coming many years ago. the prem has syphoned the money away from the lower leagues. the players up in the rarefied atmosphere of the chamionship and prem are no longer interested in coming to a club lower down the league and putting something back into the game. as non league clubs found that more supporters came to the lower clubs disenchanted by the prices at prem grounds the minows have improved their lot. we have been caught in no mans land in a way. and coupled with some poor business decisions have paid the price.
Last edited by Glostergull on 21 Nov 2015, 17:37, edited 1 time in total.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Richy, what you set out is infinitely preferable to death by slow strangulation, which is what is happening now. I doubt that the numbers getting behind a Phoenix club would be as high as you suggest, but I would be there.
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

Interesting game for Lincolns place in the league they weren't fantastic - fat lad up top heads the ball well and they used that

0-1

Why the hell are we zonal marking? - lad runs right across markers and scores - easy - Zonal is then abandoned!

0-2

Defense switches off, Lavercombe comes charging out - too late - easy chip over for the goal

0-3

the USELESS Heslop and Lavercombe colide in mid air - tap in for their man - game over. Either Lavercome didn't shout loud enough or Heslop chose to ignore him - either way Lavercombe should have been more convincing in his attempt.

1-3

Decent build up and good finish by Butler

From HT to 0-3 we looked decent and finally had their attack under control but another error cost us a chance back into it. Heslop is so bad its not describable! Campion and Briscoe didnt work, the latter looked more tired than normal! Marsh and Fairhurst could do well together. Good job Smith will be back, Gerring looked out of his depth.

Ref/lino - useless
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Glostergull wrote:Come on guys. where are we going to be able to get anything or anyone better. you could sack nicho but what are you going to replace him with. nicho is doing what he can with what he's got. even Arsene Wenger wouldn't get much more out our patched up team. we have what we can afford which isnt much. it's no good calling for better players. we haven't got the money for better players. they want a lot of money. period. we need an investor and where he or she is coming from is anyone guess. yes I wish we had the pull that Salford City has. But i cannot see anyone on the horizon. the board have asked for extra investors. but none have come forward. In short we have all we have and will have to make the best of it. and if that's not enough then so be it. I will still stick with them. if you dont want to then that's your choice. no one really cares much about United apart from the fans we have..that's it.. the town isn't really interested . the county is not really interested. Yes i can see it's possible we could cease to exist. But its not good calling for even more money to throw at it. it ain't no good calling for better player. they are not affordable. it aint there. period !
I will also stick with the Gulls, but I remain very, very angry. I can't believe that we could not have recruited a better manager than Nicholson, I just can't.
sevilla66
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Martin Rice

Post by sevilla66 »

My view, as stated last week after the Barrow game, was that Nicholson's position must be reviewed after three more matches and that he and Herrera must be dismissed once that point has been reached unless there is a positive improvement in terms of points gained. Whilst I noted with interest, after the Barrow result, the undiminished optimism of the manager and his opinion that the 4-0 defeat was just one of those bad days, the reality is that Nicholson always has talked a good book, especially when he was touting for the job during Hargreaves' tenure, and no doubt will continue to do so.

Well to be fair to him, the present situation is patently not all his fault in that the majority of the present pool of players have neither the ability nor the inclination to get us out of this position and of course he wasn't in the main responsible for their recruitment. It is looking increasingly likely that the Board will, in the interests of the club and it's fans, have to wield the axe. What is absolutely imperative is that any new managerial appointment has to be made on the basis of merit,experience, affordability and crucially avoiding the nonsensical choice of a former player.TIME IS RUNNING OUT- THE SITUATION IS NOW CRITICAL- THE DIRECTORS MUST START LOOKING FOR A POTENTIAL REPLACEMENT FOR NICHOLSON NOW
gullable
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: all

Post by gullable »

I see that changing our goalkeeper has made a major impact.
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

THE DIRECTORS NEED TO LOOK FOR NEW OWNERS NOW!
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

I am seriously worried now. We are entering a really tough set of games and can't see any chance of a win until mid Jan with the home game against Braintree - sod it just remembered what happened last season against them!

I suspect by the end of January we will be at least 10 points from safety and, realistically (although I accept not mathematically) doomed.

For me that will be the end of the road. It would have been better had the Club folded in the summer - at least it would have been better than this slow death by a thousand cuts.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Trouble is they (from what has been said) are only looking for investors - not new owners.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
RichyMills
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: the 12th man

Post by RichyMills »

gullable wrote:I see that changing our goalkeeper has made a major impact.
About that - why isn't Spiess starting? He's a decent keeper. Is it because the financial survival plan is basically to sell Lavercombe so they need him to get some experience quickly?
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

I'm just looking forward to April and finding something more enjoyable to do on Saturday afternoons.......
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.