Torquay v Lincoln

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
davidcaldwell123
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Marl Loram

Post by davidcaldwell123 »

Below is a typical change management process, change the manager (point2), you will have to go through the same process, there is no "magic wand" to effective change management, also the reason for change is to effect improvements to create a better "state".

I would say the board and team is between stage 2 and 3, change takes time, football does not give you time, results are everything, but we are still between 2 and 3.

1. Increase urgency - inspire people to move, make objectives real and relevant.
2. Building the guiding team - get the right people in place with the right emotional commitment, and the right mix of skills, experience and knowledge level.
3. Get the vision right - get the team to establish a simple vision, system and strategy, focus on emotional and creative aspects necessary to drive improvement and results.
4. Communicate for buy-in - Involve as many people as possible, communicate the essentials, simply, and to appeal and respond to people's needs. De-clutter communications - make technology work for you rather than against.
5. Empower action - Remove obstacles, enable constructive feedback and lots of support from leaders - reward and recognise progress and achievements.
6. Create short-term wins - Set aims that are easy to achieve - in bite-size chunks. Manageable numbers of initiatives. Finish current stages before starting new ones.
7. Don't let up - Foster and encourage determination and persistence - ongoing change - encourage ongoing progress reporting - highlight achieved and future milestones.
8. Make change stick - Reinforce the value of successful change via recruitment, promotion, new change leaders. Weave change into culture.
gullable
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: all

Post by gullable »

I suspect after basingstoke Nico had to be seen as making a change.. the easy scapegoat was Spiess.Nico folded to a handfull a fans who know better.
No keeper coach training on a muddy park kicking balls at each other.. what do you expect.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Went today with little expectation, but even I was not expecting a first half as poor as that. Lincoln had 6 chances, scored twice, hit the post and crossbar and two goals disallowed, it could have been Torquay 0 Lincoln anything at HT.

Second our team did improve, however that third goal is a disaster which had all the hallmarks of schoolboy error about it, and such a shame, our team were enjoying probably their only real positive spell in the game, that third goal is the killer as proved just a few minutes later when Butler pulled a goal back, going in to the last few minutes at 1.2 and you're in with a chance of stealing something.

Liked Wright when he came on, thought he carried more threat than the rest of the team had previously in the entire match. Campion do us favour Nicho and send him packing, utterly useless, and how did Shepard get motm, an ameba would have had more effect on the match.

The club is not flushed with cash we know that, if we're to rescue anything from this season, the Spine of the team needs an instant overhaul, the majority of this team should be leaving the club Monday morning.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Cruisinho
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Cruisinho »

I agree we need more investment in the club. But look what happened when we did have that investment from Thea, just because we would have more money, it doesn't mean problem solved...the investment needs to be used wisely to get us out of this mess.

Also, I understand the players fund is for players (obviously), but why wasn't this partly used to pay Paul Cox? Or a new Gk coach? And the players it has been used on, have they really made a difference in the last couple of games? (which leads on from my previous point about using the investment wisely).
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

I cannot understand why Nicholson played with two out and out strikers who isolated themselves all first half mainly leaving the rest of the side struggling in a disastrous first 45 minutes.
I was disappointed with the formation today and feel that we should have had an extra player in midfield against a side like Lincoln. Briscoe who has been off the front nearly all season was in a two up front when the side was struggling it makes no sense. Campion was just a passenger and in the second half when Wright came on for him we started to take the game to Lincoln. Fairhurst came on and things got even better we had two players who tried to keep the ball playing for us in a Torquay shirt.
First goal our defender did not attack the ball from corner. There's nothing wrong with zonal system on set pieces but players have got to be awake and attack the ball.
Second ball through the middle should have been dealt with way before it got through to Lavercombe.
Third two players collide
I think Nicholson has got to get the team solid before putting two strikers up front but after seeing Wright why did he not start the game as his control and running had Lincoln on the back foot.

Nicholson said Gerring was at fault for the third goal not Heslop.

Any change in manager would make minimal difference as we are stuck with the same players and the backfour midfield and strikers are all struggling.
I think I have just said team without saying the word. Nicholson has proved that on a good day we can compete but he's got to get the team set out to keep it tight as we were like a sieve today first half and the strikers were to blame giving the ball away cheaply.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I have seen 7 out of the 10 home games this season.
4 times we have conceded 3 or more goals which proves beyond doubt that our defence is the number one problem.

We urgently need an experienced goalkeeper from somewhere. I cannot believe the foolishness of the powers that be that they do not make this the number 1 priority. Many big clubs must surely have good goalkeepers who need game time. A good keeper makes a big difference to the whole team.

Aaron Downes is hugely missed. Cheltenham have conceded 17 this season to our 45. We need an experienced center back to play along side Angus.

Finally we need one midfield player to provide some service to Marsh and Fairhurst.

We do have 8 players who are good enough but in 3 key positions we are sadly lacking. Gerring was so out of his depth I actually felt sorry for him. Campion was dreadful a huge disappointment. Heslop was his usual ineffective self.

The first half was hoofball. Terrible. The first 20 minutes of the second half we played the ball on the floor and looked and played much better until the killer third goal. A very comfortable catch for keeper Dan only for Gerring to collide with his own keeper causing him to spill the ball.

So we need 3 players on loan. Have we got the money? No! Well how about 200 of us put up an interest free loan of £100 each to raise £20,000.
Would that be enough? We have got to get out of this mess somehow.
PaulR
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by PaulR »

For what its worth I thought the team played far better once Wright came on for the totally . Not only could he pass the ball but he was able to keep it and pass it to our players! He made an impact on the whole team and linked up well with Fairhurst. I think he will play well with Marsh when he returns. Sadly today Briscoe was well out of sorts and Gerring is nowhere near the player that the suspended Smith is.
http://www.rockettrides.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP

Post by taxilady »

like your plan portugull if the Players Fund isn't enough...
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

Back from the game.

That was abject for about 70 of the 90 minutes.

First half - no commitment/enthusiasm/endeavour/ideas/urgency/signs of ability from at least 9 of the Torquay players on the pitch(and I include Nicholson in that number) - complete opposite to Lincoln's approach.

Second half - first 25 minutes - please see above. Last 20 mins, after the enforced changes - more energy/endeavour/ideas/ability evident from 3 of the Torquay players.

If we had been 5-0 down at half time that would not have flattered Lincoln.

Who is captain on the field? How can MacDonald exercise any authority with his manager standing 1 player away from him? Nicholson is trying to direct the play from the left back position - HOW??? can he possibly be aware of how matters are unfolding during the game from a spot at the back left hand corner of the bloody field? GET OFF THE PITCH AND IN THE DUG OUT. Are you so desperate to cling on to your long gone playing career.

NICHOLSON you are the manager - manage the bloody games will you. If the changes had not been forced on you would you have made them...I am struggling to believe you have the foresight to do so.

That was hard work to watch this afternoon, if the linesman had not been so awful there would have been little/no atmosphere on the popside.

Cue the laborious comments "we have no money" - I refuse to believe that almost all the other teams in this league have easy access to cash, so why should we continue to trot out the same excuse time after time. Just because we are no longer cash rich shouldn't mean that we have to accept poor performance from ALL concerned in this debacle.

No-one expects the board to put their hands in their pockets, but what I do expect is that they either show some semblance of ability to run a football club OR admit they are way out of their depth and put the club back on the market.
Totnes_Yellow
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by Totnes_Yellow »

Nice to see some trying to focus on the positives..!

Wright really did look like a bright spark when he came on
Alley
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Alley »

Having watched the game I have to agree with rob and Portugull Heslop wasa total waste of time I can understand Carmichael has just come back from Bournemouth after injury but he would probably been better than Heslop even if he was not match fit Fairhurst came on and considering the time he's been out did well.Nicho needs to manage not play my team for the next few games would be Spiess Butler Angus Smith Berry Carmichael Richards Fairhurst Marsh Wright Mumbedzi
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

It's so obvious we need a keeper who knows how to command his six yard box.
The current Board are totally out of their depth and all they are doing is taking us out of business all together. This club could never be either full time or part time in National South and that's where the club is heading.
For goodness sake DO SOMETHING NOW.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

nickbrod wrote:It's so obvious we need a keeper who knows how to command his six yard box.
The current Board are totally out of their depth and all they are doing is taking us out of business all together. This club could never be either full time or part time in National South and that's where the club is heading.
For goodness sake DO SOMETHING NOW.
We did not lose the game because of the keeper we lost the game 1. Because we were set up wrongly. 2. Best strikers on the bench 3. A lack of discipline in previous games.
davidcaldwell123
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Marl Loram

Post by davidcaldwell123 »

Did we play 4-4-2?
arcadia wrote:I cannot understand why Nicholson played with two out and out strikers who isolated themselves all first half mainly leaving the rest of the side struggling in a disastrous first 45 minutes.
I was disappointed with the formation today and feel that we should have had an extra player in midfield against a side like Lincoln. Briscoe who has been off the front nearly all season was in a two up front when the side was struggling it makes no sense. Campion was just a passenger and in the second half when Wright came on for him we started to take the game to Lincoln. Fairhurst came on and things got even better we had two players who tried to keep the ball playing for us in a Torquay shirt.
First goal our defender did not attack the ball from corner. There's nothing wrong with zonal system on set pieces but players have got to be awake and attack the ball.
Second ball through the middle should have been dealt with way before it got through to Lavercombe.
Third two players collide
I think Nicholson has got to get the team solid before putting two strikers up front but after seeing Wright why did he not start the game as his control and running had Lincoln on the back foot.

Nicholson said Gerring was at fault for the third goal not Heslop.

Any change in manager would make minimal difference as we are stuck with the same players and the backfour midfield and strikers are all struggling.
I think I have just said team without saying the word. Nicholson has proved that on a good day we can compete but he's got to get the team set out to keep it tight as we were like a sieve today first half and the strikers were to blame giving the ball away cheaply.
Added in 3 minutes 4 seconds:
First thing to do is take the pitch in and play minimum regulation then play a system where you are difficult to break down 4-2-3-1!
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

arcadia wrote: We did not lose the game because of the keeper we lost the game 1. Because we were set up wrongly. 2. Best strikers on the bench 3. A lack of discipline in previous games.
You did watch today's game?