Barrow v Torquay United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

Dazza wrote:

So put yourself in the Board's place. What would YOU do?
The most important thing the board had to do was employ a proven, competent, knowledgeable manager with contacts. Somebody who can coach the players to play in a way that makes us hard to beat. Easier said than done but there had to be somebody better than a novice ex-player. We'd already proved that didn't work.

In my humble opinion, the board failed the single most important decision they have had so far.

Hargreaves was a sentimental mistake.
Nicholson is proving to be a sentimental mistake.

Nicholson was past it as a player when he left the first time around yet now he's in charge he thinks he's still got it. He hasn't.

There's a lot of anger amongst fans tonight and I don't blame them. I've come very close over the past two years to not renewing my ST and on both occasions reluctantly relented. Next year, I will find something else to do without any problems.

Added in 1 minute 13 seconds:
lucy6lucy wrote:

Cheltenham at home, they played 80 minutes with 10 men, and yes we lost :-|
:goodpost:
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

You may well be right Burnham but you are using the past tense. Accepting we have no money at all what would you do now?
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

50 years of supporting my team, i fear we are finished, sad times. unless some money bags come in of course.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

tommyg wrote: Cox may have f*** us over but we were always competitive even if we did come up short. Losing 4-0 to Barrow and 3-0 at Basingstoke wouldn't have happened under Cox's watch because he is tactically a better manager than Nicholson and knows how to set up a side which is hard to beat. One win in nine is pathetic but not surprising because we appointed a complete rookie who isn't qualified. Now we're stuck with him and what makes it worse is that he has few contacts. We've signed two players on loan who couldn't get in a team which is somehow worse than us. How is that supposed to make us better?
Cox was sh-t and was a one trick pony whoever took over was going to inherit a bad squad. Even your Director of football with Coxes assistant could not get it right. I think we all thought we could do better at least I thought that.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

Dazza wrote:You may well be right Burnham but you are using the past tense. Accepting we have no money at all what would you do now?
With a heavy heart, I'd padlock the gates.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

How long is Nicholson going to persist in playing? I'm sure the intent of leading by example is admirable but if you are concentrating fully on playing left back you cannot possibly see the full shape of the side or give instructions throughout.

The captain is the leader on the pitch, in my opinion the manager should be in the dugout.
Totnes_Yellow
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by Totnes_Yellow »

For anyone not on Facebook...
Screen Shot 2015-11-14 at 20.42.55.png
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Dazza »

We lost 4-0 at Barrow. It was a really bad day. We are five points from safety with 26 games to go. Let's get things in perspective. There as been a ' league' team in this position practically every year. We are not unique. The league teams who remained solvent stubbornly survived in this division. Those who got relegated went down because they went into receivership. Look down the leagues those who 'closed' in this way are all slowly making their way back because of the size of their fan base. From our fan base we have a Board of people trying to get things right. There are better weeks to come....
Totnes_Yellow
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by Totnes_Yellow »

If Kevin insists on playing for the rest of the season, we need an experienced eye watching from the bench. Any ideas on someone who could take on that sort of role? I know wages might be an issue...but surely we need some more management experience in the dressing room and on the training pitch Monday morning after a game like today's
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

In many ways, appointing Nicholson is a worse mistake than appointing Hargreaves. At least then, the board could argue that under Knill the club had grown away from fans and needed a #legend to unite the club. However, the sentimental #legends route clearly did not work.

So for the current board to repeat the mistake, so soon after the last one, when a precedent was still fresh in all of our memories, was folly. But, hey, they saved the club...
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

We are all feeling depressed tonight including our depleted Board who put up the money to save us in the summer.

I am not trying to make excuses but consider the facts.

Pre season we lose Luke Young our best player for the season. A massive blow. We then lose Fairhurst for 4 or 5 months.

We then discover that Manager Cox does not have a contract and departs leaving the Board to employ a new Manager but with no money to spend on an experienced Manager.Nico gets the job to everyone's amazement and then the penny drops. We really are skint!

Then we lose Carmichael injured, have Marsh sent off for violent conduct against his own player followed by Hurst being suspended for reasons not yet known officially. Then today Nathen Smith gets a red card. He has been superb for us. I ask can things possibly get any worse?

A couple of years ago I posted that our future was to go part time and I got rubbished by one particular poster. This is most definitely were we are heading.

We have 7 outfield players who are good enough namely Berry, McDonald,Richards,Butler, Smith ,Marsh and Fairhurst. Nico needs to make some tough decisions and get rid of 4 or 5 of the squad and recruit 3 players 2 midfield and a striker BUT this is going to be very difficult given our lack of cash.

Our only chance is to keep turning up at Plainmoor and hope Nico can somehow turn it round. Our performance against Grimsby still makes me believe we have a chance of avoiding relegation but only if we can find 3 decent loanees.In our position they may be the best option in the short term
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Totnes_Yellow wrote:For anyone not on Facebook...
Screen Shot 2015-11-14 at 20.42.55.png

What was it Nicholson said when he was appointed? Something like he wouldn't make excuses...
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

So much I want to say about what is wrong with this football club of ours, but like a lot of people on here I guess, I just cannot be bothered any more. So sad, that unfortunately the proper fans that felt they had "saved our football club" may just have killed it through poor decision making and a lack of REAL investment - are we really any better under Nicholson/Herrera than we were under Hargreaves/Hodges .... I don't think so! The best thing that could happen now, assuming that there isn't another "sugar daddy" out there .... Is to hand the football club over to TUST to see if they can do any better - unfortunately the current ( broken) model isn't working - not helped,I must admit, by the fact that HALF of the original members who signed up to join the new consortium have since left and to be fair an awful lot of bad luck ...BUT you have to ask yourself the question why have all these people left ? Either way,it needs a new impetus, new investment ... Otherwise we WILL be in National League South next year!!!!
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Frankly comments on Facebook mean absolutely nothing. Nico writing there doesn't impress at all. I want to see development on the pitch and so far this is lacking. The guy needs a mentor to guide him.
PlainmoorB0b
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Caldwell

Post by PlainmoorB0b »

things really are imploding - my hope that Kevin would prove me wrong and that the improvement that was evident Initially was the first sign of green shoots seems to have been blown out of the water - Basingstoke, Barrow and a dressing room that is self destructing spells disaster - you know how there's always that team that bombs in a league and everything that can go wrong goes wrong? Yep - that's us guys.....