Barrow v Torquay United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Barrow v Torquay United

Post by Dave »

Last Saturday saw the first postponement of the season, a situation that in one sense probably suited Kevin Nicholson, an extra week to get some players over knocks, and a chance to bed in the new signings, however, a situation that certainly will not have helped the club, who will have taken a financial hit due to the late postponement of the Wrexham game.

This coming Saturday will see The Gulls take on a mammoth approximate 700 miles and 12 hour round trip to Holker Street home of Barrow A.F.C.
The Bluebirds as I’m sure our members of advanced years will know are a former football league club in their own right, 1921 saw Barrow become founder members of football league division three north, after the regional football leagues were disbanded in 1958, The Bluebirds became founder members of the new Division four, it was on the 29th November 1958 Barrow and Torquay United met for the first time.
Barrow reached a high point in their clubs history in 1966, promotion to Division three (League 1 for our younger readers) at one point Barrow topped the league, their highest ever league placing, life at this level was short lived and The Bluebirds were relegated back to the basement level with in two seasons.

Financial difficulties saw Barrow having to apply for re-election to the football league in two consecutive seasons, the second of which saw Barrow voted out of the football league at the end of season 1971-72 and replaced by Hereford United.

Since 2004-5 Barrow in their recent history have competed in the upper echelons of the non-league pyramid, spending a number of seasons in both the conference north and premier divisions, The Bluebirds were promoted back to the conference premier for the 2008-9 season which saw Barrow and Torquay united renew their acquaintance, in happier times for the Gulls as the seasons end saw Torquay United promoted at Wembley, The Bluebirds remained in the conference premier until 2012-13, last season in only Barrows second season back in the north division The Bluebirds finished as champions and regained their non-league top flight status, this season I’m sure is about consolidation for Barrow as much it is for Torquay, Barrow currently sit 16th on 25 points, however, their current form is only marginally better than Torquay’s, and Barrow did finish Saturday’s 3.1 defeat at Guiseley with 9 men.

For Gulls fans attending the match

http://www.barrowafc.com/club/general-information/

Featured Barrow Player

Danny Livesey; born 31st December 1984, position defender. Danny started his career with Bolton Wanders, Livesey would make just 2 appearances for the Bolton, and Danny Livesey made his debut for Bolton at 17 years old against Liverpool, becoming one of the youngest ever premiership players, also becoming one of the youngest Bolton players.

Danny Livesey enjoyed a number of loan moves during his time at Bolton, with Notts County, Rochdale and Blackpool.

Christmas 2004 saw Livesey make a permanent move to then Conference club Carlisle United, Danny Livesey enjoyed two promotions with Carlisle as a part of their team that rose to gain League 1 status, and Danny Livesey went on to be a virtual one club man, scoring 20 goals from 297 appearances for Carlisle.

Danny Livesey spent the later part of season 2014 on loan at Wrexham before being released by Carlile, Danny would make the permanent move to Barrow that summer, and would enjoy promotion once again last season with The Bluebirds, Livesey has made 47 appearances for Barrow scoring 1 goal.

Barrow top goalscorers and season stats

Cook 11
Walker 3
Haworth 2
Newby 1
Livesey 1

HOME / AWAY ADVANTAGE

% Points (HOME) 72% (AWAY) 28%
% Goals scored (HOME) 57% (AWAY) 43%
% Goals conceded (HOME) 24% (AWAY) 76%

Current form

Barrow ; W-L-W-D-L-L

6 Oct Barrow 3 - 2 Chester
10 Oct Bromley 5 - 0 Barrow
13 Oct Tranmere 0 - 1 Barrow
17 Oct Barrow 1 - 1 Welling Utd
31 Oct Wrexham 4 - 1 Barrow
7 Nov Guiseley 3 - 1 Barrow

Last time out

Guiseley 3 - 1 Barrow

12 Dixon
24 G Williams
25 Wilmer-Anderton Dismissed
15 Mellor Dismissed after an earlier booking
17 Williams
05 Livesey
02 Cowperthwaite
07 Haworth (Walker - 69' )
20 Newby (Khan - 69' )
23 Symington (van den Broek - 79' )
10 Cook

Substitutes
06 Grand
09 Walker
18 Grimes
26 van den Broek
27 Khan

Edmo bemoans slow start and red cards as Barrow AFC lose to Guiseley

“The red cards kill the game as a contest,” said Edmondson. “The first-half display was okay from us, the referee has made a mistake with some of his decisions, but I don’t make the decisions.”
He added: “The start we made was not good enough, to concede within the first five minutes, it meant we had an uphill battle right from the off.
“The third goal is from our corner, we needed to just clear the ball. Tired minds make poor decisions, and we’ve switched off at key times.
“Conceding from a corner when you are the ones attacking should not happen, but it has done once again for my lads. I’m going to have to have another word with some of them to cut out these errors in their games.”

“We had chances and didn’t take them in the first half before they got their second, we could have been in a better position at half-time,” he said.

“But we didn’t take the chances we did well to create and that is how football works at the end of the day.”

Edmondson defended Wilmer-Anderton’s red card offence, saying: “That’s the fine margins when a player slides in. He was good in the first half, and I like the fact he wants to slide in for the team to try to get the ball back and regain possession.

“But we now must reassess what has happened, with him and Neil Ashton (injured last week) unavailable.”

From a Torquay United point of view

When you get down to the lower leagues and non-league football there are often unsung hero's working hard for little or no reward, more often than not working with sub standard equipment, unlike their premiership counterparts. I was on night shift last Friday night into Saturday morning and bore witness to just how much rain fell overnight, I've certainly not seen or heard that much rainfall in one night for as long as I can remember, on top of what had already fallen during the week.

After the 12.45 inspection was inconclusive I decided to go down to the ground, unfortunately the game was called of as I arrived, however, me and a friend decided to go up into the Gulls nest anyway, I looked at the pitch and spoke to someone who'd been down there, have to say I was astounded with just how good the pitch looked, the overwhelming majority of it looked like a bowling green, just one area down by the scoreboard on the popside had caused the problem.

Had the rain stopped 1 hour or so earlier, or the ground staff be allowed another hour and half to work on the pitch, our club may have got the Wrexham game on, that's just how close it was, all I can say is, the grounds man and those who give their time free to help with the pitch, stand up and take a bow, that was a fantastic effort to get this game on, they nearly worked a miracle, something that didn't go un-noticed by me, and hopefully not by the club either.

On to the Barrow game, after getting a big thumbs up from the manager I would expect Lavercombe to continue between the sticks, no doubt there will other forced changes, with Marsh suspended, it will be down to whether Campion or new signing Wright will start up front, I'm fully expecting Verma to make his Gulls debut as well.

With top goal scorer Hurst now under a club suspension it's likely to give an opportunity for Murombedzi to claim a regular starting birth in the side, that would be a concern to me, should Hurst not come back into the reckoning soon, that's one area that may need strengthening, Shepard to me is more than a bit lightweight, but still deserves a chance. For me our away record is decent enough, the squad should be looking to take something from this game.

Torquay United top goalscorers and season stats

James Hurst 7
Alex Fisher 5
Tyrone Marsh 5
Dan Butler 1
Josh Carmichael 1
Exodus Geohaghon 1
Angus MacDonald 1
Courtney Richards

HOME / AWAY ADVANTAGE Home Away

% Points (HOME) 33% (AWAY) 67%
% Goals scored (HOME) 39% (AWAY) 61%
% Goals conceded (HOME) 54% (AWAY) 46%

Current form

(league form only)

Torquay United; L-L-W-D-D-D

3 Oct Torquay Utd 0 - 2 Aldershot To.
6 Oct Torquay Utd 2 - 3 Dover Athlet.
10 Oct Southport 0 - 1 Torquay Utd
13 Oct Woking 2 - 2 Torquay Utd
17 Oct Torquay Utd 1 - 1 Grimsby
31Oct Altrincham 1 - 1 Torquay Utd

Last time out

Altrincham 1 - 1 Torquay Utd

21 Lavercombe
16 Richards
29 Berry Booked
18 Smith
02 Hurst Booked (Briscoe - 87' )
10 Marsh Dismissed
03 Butler
26 Heslop (Murombedzi - 46' )
24 Nicholson
17 Fisher (Campion - 66' )
05 MacDonald Booked

Substitutes
01 Spiess
07 Briscoe
11 Murombedzi
23 Hancox
27 Campion

KIDS GO FREE AT NEXT HOME GAME

Free entry for Under-12s on November 21st...

IT’S Kids Day at The Launa Windows Stadium for the visit of Lincoln City on Saturday, November 21st.

Kids under-12 will get FREE entry with a full paying adult or concession

(Spread the word ladies and gentlemen)

Read more at http://www.torquayunited.com/news/artic ... fm0loAy.99

Head to Head meetings

English Division Four (old)

29.11.1958 Barrow 2-2 Torquay United
18.04.1959 Torquay United 1-0 Barrow
03.10.1959 Torquay United 3-2 Barrow
02.05.1960 Barrow 1-1 Torquay United
08.09.1962 Torquay United 2-1 Barrow
04.05.1963 Barrow 0-0 Torquay United
13.04.1964 Barrow 1-0 Torquay United
22.04.1964 Torquay United 1-1 Barrow
28.09.1964 Barrow 2-1 Torquay United
07.10.1964 Torquay United 6-2 Barrow
18.09.1965 Barrow 2-0 Torquay United
12.03.1966 Torquay United 0-1 Barrow

English Division Three (old)

07.10.1967 Barrow 3-0 Torquay United
24.02.1968 Torquay United 0-2 Barrow
24.08.1968 Torquay United 3-1 Barrow
15.03.1969 Barrow 2-0 Torquay United
11.10.1969 Barrow 0-4 Torquay United
07.02.1970 Torquay United 1-1 Barrow

English Conference Premier

14.03.2009 Torquay United 4-1 Barrow
21.04.2009 Barrow 1-1 Torquay United (last meeting)
Formerly known as forevertufc
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

we need to keep Cook quiet. I feel we can get a point out of this, with Hurst out we're screwed, and I can't see anyone else providing the spark! Will be good to see Verma get a run out.
The gulls are going up
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Interesting info about Barrow, Forever, and good on you for delving back as far as 1958 for results of past meetings. As you say, 'members of advanced years' (very kind way of saying old gits) will remember the league matches. Yep - I wuz there !! I'd give you a 'thumbs up' but my whatsits have disappeared !!

Barrow is a rather bleak north-west town. I've been there once. Nobody visits more than once. I don't know what their ground is like but I would imagine think Acrrington Stanley, think Barrow. I believe there is a lot of rain forecast for the North over the next few days so I wouldn't be surprised if there's yet another postponement.
RichyMills
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: the 12th man

Post by RichyMills »

gullno4 wrote:we need to keep Cook quiet. I feel we can get a point out of this, with Hurst out we're screwed, and I can't see anyone else providing the spark! Will be good to see Verma get a run out.

spot on - Cook is a great player, a natural goalscorer and one who could defintely play at a higher level if he buckled down and worked at it. He's scoring regularly in a team which isn't really setting the league alight and which doesn't create a lot of chances either. Danger!
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I was there on the 7th October, 1964 when we beat Barrow (then a league side) 6-2. I'll have to look in my stats. book to find the scorers and attendance but I think (and only think) that it was an evening game. But of one thing I'm sure - I bet Stubbsy scored.
And think of the names....Terry Adlington, Colin Bettany, Tommy Northcott, John Benson, Ernie Pym, Reg Wyatt....makes your heart ache....
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

tomogull wrote:Interesting info about Barrow, Forever, and good on you for delving back as far as 1958 for results of past meetings. As you say, 'members of advanced years' (very kind way of saying old gits) will remember the league matches. Yep - I wuz there !! I'd give you a 'thumbs up' but my whatsits have disappeared !!
No worries Tommo, just to be honest the head to head meetings is a quick easy bit of the previews, I use a number of different stats sites for my information and the head to head info is freely available on some sites, the write ups on our opponents and players does take a lot longer, as I always put any info gained into my own words rather than taking the cheats way out and hitting the good old copy and paste buttons.

Glad you liked my discreet way of referring to the old gits ;-) :)
Formerly known as forevertufc
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: colin bettany

Post by samuel »

I went to Barrow on 7th October 1967 - we were the last unbeaten team in the league and at top spot in then then Div 3. My diary entry for that day (my 1097th without missing a Torquay home game.

"Woke up at a motorway cafe on M6 at 6. Stayed awake after this. Saw flooding all over the place. Went on the edge of the beautiful Lake District. Arrived at Barrow-in-Furness at 9. Played football in park. Went to match. Toquay lost 3-0. They played hopeless. Rang up mum on way back. Saw illuminations at Blackpool which were very nice. Had nice meal. Had best driver ever I think. Slept nearly all way."

What sticks in my mind about this game was that the grass was so long there were dandelions all over it. Anyone else on this site went to this match in the glorious beige Wallace Arn old coaches.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

samuel wrote:I went to Barrow on 7th October 1967 - we were the last unbeaten team in the league and at top spot in then then Div 3. My diary entry for that day (my 1097th without missing a Torquay home game.

"Woke up at a motorway cafe on M6 at 6. Stayed awake after this. Saw flooding all over the place. Went on the edge of the beautiful Lake District. Arrived at Barrow-in-Furness at 9. Played football in park. Went to match. Toquay lost 3-0. They played hopeless. Rang up mum on way back. Saw illuminations at Blackpool which were very nice. Had nice meal. Had best driver ever I think. Slept nearly all way."

What sticks in my mind about this game was that the grass was so long there were dandelions all over it. Anyone else on this site went to this match in the glorious beige Wallace Arn old coaches.

One year after that Barrow were playing Argyle at home. Barrow scored when a shot that was going wide hit the referee and went into the Argyle net. The goal had to be given and Barrow won 1-0. I was a paper boy at the time, and I remember reading the story and laughing my head off.
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

Can't see this being on-weather forecast for that area of the country horrendous for both Friday and Saturday.
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

The forecast for Saturday looks horrible. If the game is in doubt I hope they make a decision either tomorrow or early Saturday. Im going regardless as book weekend away and can't get the money back so will have to make the most of it.

Today and Friday thankfully (according to BBC) weather seems ok. Periods of rain but moving quickly and most of Friday seems clear. Let's hope their pitch can hold out.

Added in 4 hours 35 minutes 50 seconds:
Had a reply from Barrow's twitter regarding the weather and whether the game will be in doubt.

very unlikely, our pitch drains very well and very rarely waterlogs! Any new info regarding the game will be Tweeted out:)
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
moneylife
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by moneylife »

Is the game on
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP

Post by taxilady »

apparently so : no pitch inspections planned
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Where's BERT? We haven't heard much from him recently. Come on BERT, tell us what you think.
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP

Post by taxilady »

Barrow A.F.C.
‏@BarrowAFC
There is absolutely no doubt for today's game, the pitch is in perfect condition! So we've got 99 problems but a pitch ain't one!
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

Just seen the line-up. Very attacking bench !
TUST member 200 ;-)